Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost Explorer Problems (Read 13146 times)
AnonymousCoward

Ghost Explorer Problems
Feb 12th, 2006 at 1:49am

Hello,

I am having trouble with Ghost Explorer.

When I try to extract folders or files from new ghost images I am making it just grays out all of the options and will not let me extract any of the files using ghost explorer. The ghost backups themselves are perfectly fine and I can restore them onto the drive perfectly and they all have passed integrity checks.

The issue is, I can extract files from older images, but none of the new images I make let me do the file extracting in Ghost Explorer. It's really weird. I have never messed with the options inside of Ghost when running backups. I always just do Disk --> To Image, and select the disk to backup, then select the destination and press go. And I select Fast compression. That is what I have always done.

Why can't I selectively extract files from the ghost backups suddenly?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost Explorer Problems
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 9:56am

AnonymousCoward

What version of Ghost are you using?

You say that Ghost Explorer works with *older* images okay, but not with *newer* images--are you using the same Ghost version that created the *older* images to now create those *newer* images?

Did anything change since the creation of the *older* images that worked and the *newer* images that don't--update from service pack 1 to service pack 2, update Ghost version, using new operating system now, converted from FAT to NTFS partitions, using encryption or passwords, etc. ? ? ? ? ?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

AnonymousCoward

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 12:07pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 12th, 2006 at 9:56am:
AnonymousCoward

What version of Ghost are you using?

You say that Ghost Explorer works with *older* images okay, but not with *newer* images--are you using the same Ghost version that created the *older* images to now create those *newer* images?

Did anything change since the creation of the *older* images that worked and the *newer* images that don't--update from service pack 1 to service pack 2, update Ghost version, using new operating system now, converted from FAT to NTFS partitions, using encryption or passwords, etc. ? ? ? ? ?

I use Ghost from a site license that my best friend has access to and haha; actually, been familiar with it and seen it used and used Ghost since about a year before Symantec bought it from Binary Research in New Zealand. This is a shame because I know nothing about the program except how to run it and restore my backups through the DOS GUI and Ghost Explorer. An important note is that I refuse to use the Ghost win32 services. I simply do not install them. I prefer to put in my Boot CD or Boot Floppy and run Ghost from there and store it on a second hard drive for storage.

The version I used for the old images is 7.60. It says in the Ghost image properties that it was generated by Ghost 7.60 which would fit my memory of which version was in use at the time. I recently purged most of my backups from before January 2005 so I don’t have images from prior to Ghost 7.60 anymore. The version I am using now is 8.2.0.1117, again from the friend’s site license.

Has anything changed aside from the Ghost version? No. All of the images are of a Windows XP environment created by my own slipstreamed SP2 disc. Hardware is obviously different on each of the computers but the images in question, old and new, were created on this computer for this computer. The issue is with Ghost Explorer for some reason. I have even tried older versions of Ghost explorer like the one that comes with Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier.

I hope I’ve given all the information you needed.

IP Logged

AnonymousCoward

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 12:17pm

Let me correct that. I just found an image created by Ghost 7.5 and if I need to I can get the old versions of Ghost from my friend. Also, before you assume my "access" to the site license is shady, it isn't. M friend is the owner of said site license for his business needs and he has the authority to allow me access to current and previous versions of Ghost that he purchased. I had to say that since I thought you might find it shady without elaboration.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 6:36pm

AnonymousCoward

Quote:
I recently purged most of my backups from before January 2005 so I don’t have images from prior to Ghost 7.60 anymore.

So, Ghost Explorer will open and allow you to restore from an image created by Ghost 7.60, but not from an image created by Ghost 8.2.0.1117?

Quote:
I have even tried older versions of Ghost explorer like the one that comes with Norton SystemWorks 2005 Premier.

The version of Ghost Explorer that is able to mount Ghost 7.x and 8.x images that comes on the SystemWorks 2005 Premier CD, I believe, is the most recent version that's available to the *retail buying* public.  I don't know if the corporate Ghost 8.x has a more recent or different version than what's available on that retail CD.

Quote:
The issue is with Ghost Explorer for some reason.

Actually, it appears to be an issue of the images created by Ghost 8.x are not being allowed to function on the Ghost Explorer program, but the Ghost 7.x image are--you may need to talk to your friend about any *site license restrictions* that are associated with his Ghost 8.x license that was not in place with Ghost 7.x.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

AnonymousCoward

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 6:42pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 12th, 2006 at 6:36pm:
AnonymousCoward

So, Ghost Explorer will open and allow you to restore from an image created by Ghost 7.60, but not from an image created by Ghost 8.2.0.1117?

The version of Ghost Explorer that is able to mount Ghost 7.x and 8.x images that comes on the SystemWorks 2005 Premier CD, I believe, is the most recent version that's available to the *retail buying* public.  I don't know if the corporate Ghost 8.x has a more recent or different version than what's available on that retail CD.

Actually, it appears to be an issue of the images created by Ghost 8.x are not being allowed to function on the Ghost Explorer program, but the Ghost 7.x image are--you may need to talk to your friend about any *site license restrictions* that are associated with his Ghost 8.x license that was not in place with Ghost 7.x.

No, I have the ghost explorer that comes with Ghost Solution Suite. "Symantec Ghost Explorer 8.2.0.1117". Is there a new default option that is selected maybe? Because I went through the options menu inside of DOS Ghost and they are identical in both versions. These are not the consumer versions either. They are the corporate versions, respectively. And no, my friend doesn't have restrictions.

Any ideas? Aside from sending you the files (illegal, so no.)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 8:34pm

AnonymousCoward

Quote:
Any ideas?

Unfortunately--I've reached the end of my trouble shooting suggestions for Ghost Explorer.

Seems odd--if you're using the matching current version of Ghost Explorer and Ghost--that there would be an issue.

Have you tried more than one image to see if it's not a problem with that particular image?

IP Logged

AnonCoward

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:21pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 12th, 2006 at 8:34pm:
AnonymousCoward

Unfortunately--I've reached the end of my trouble shooting suggestions for Ghost Explorer.

Seems odd--if you're using the matching current version of Ghost Explorer and Ghost--that there would be an issue.

Have you tried more than one image to see if it's not a problem with that particular image?

Yah, I've tried multiple image creations. It's so weird. It really is!  Cry

IP Logged

AnonCoward

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 12:16pm

Anyone else have advice?  Cry

IP Logged

AnonCoward

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 12:45pm

Anyone? Sad I want to extract files from future images!!!  Cry

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 4:18pm

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but have you considered the current versions of Ghost?

You can purchase Ghost 9 or Ghost 10 for around $15 on eBay.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

AnonCoward

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 5:22pm

Actually, those are the consumer versions.

Ghost 8.2 is the latest version of Ghost Corp. That I'm aware of.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 7:03pm

Sorry, I misread your previous posts about versions.

Are any of these knowledge base articles from Symantec applicable?  I searched for Ghost 7.5 and keyword explorer.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

AnonCoward

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 10:24pm

How to use Ghost Explorer to extract files or folders from an image file

(Link fixed--9:45 am, 02/23/06, by NightOwl)

That one only vaguely applies because that assumes all is working perfectly. My problem is the extract option never even shows up for new images when opened in Ghost Explorer. This is using all default options in Ghost. Nothing else is selected. Just backing up the drive to an image stored on another hard drive -- nothing fancy.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps Ghost Explorer can’t handle larger images (4GB to 15GB) as well as it can smaller ones (500 MB – 4 GB). Which doesn't make sense since I've done it before is the overall size of the image. It is 12-15 GB depending on compression, but I have always, always used the Fast option. I've used high once just to see how much space it saved and it was so negligible of a space savings that I just used fast forever and it's literally the only thing I have used for 2 years.

IP Logged

AnonCoward

Reply #14 - Feb 16th, 2006 at 10:38pm

Gah. Someone fix that link. It's destroying the entire page. I can't because I'm not registered. Well, I am, but the stupid registration system is broken and refusing to work so I can't even get the password it was supposed to have sent to login, so therefore I am still posting as anonymous and therefore I cannot edit the post myself.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print