Send Topic Print
Replacing Hdd (Read 10998 times)
dave_cal
Radmeister

I love this Forum

Kelowna BC

Replacing Hdd
Feb 21st, 2006 at 12:38pm

I am about to replace my 120 gb Hdd, with the XP OS on it, with a new 160 gb Hdd.
The 120gb hdd has three partitions on it, while at the moment the 160gb has none.
My question is...Should I use Ghost 10 to copy the Hdd to a new one. Ghost says if you have more than one partition on the first drive (120gb) you must copy them one at a time.
Also, should I replicate all three partitions on the new drive (160gb) first, or will Ghost do that...
And last. I also have P M. would this be better to use ?
Thanks for any suggestions  ??? ...Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Replacing Hdd
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 3:00pm

Dave, I did this a few days ago when I upgraded my 160 GB drive to a 320 GB.

There are a few ways to do it and I did it with images rather than Copy Drive but it shouldn't matter. Do you have images of your partitions? Otherwise it's Copy Drive for you.

How large are your partitions and how much free space in each?

IP Logged

dave_cal
Radmeister

I love this Forum

Kelowna BC

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 6:33pm

Hi Brian, We meet again, great !

The three drives are 30,35,& 46 gb's respectively, with lots of free space on each one.
I like your idea of imaging the drives, so I will try it...
If I'm not mistaken, I have an image of all three drives together. That being the case, will Ghost do the partitioning for me,   or should I partition the new drive first, same as the old drive ?
I would then connect the new hdd as slave, then after imaging it, reconnect  it as master ...
Does that make sense ?   Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 7:08pm

Dave, this is what I'd do. Install your new 160 GB HD as Master and old HD as Slave. Boot to the Partition Magic CD (or floppies) and partition the new drive just as before but with larger partitions. Boot to the Ghost 10 CD and restore the 3 images to their respective partitions. Make sure you tick "Restore MBR" for one of the restores. Shut down and remove the old HD. Start computer and the new HD should be working properly. When you have confirmed everything is OK, shutdown, install the old HD as a Slave, boot to the PM CD and delete the old OS partition and probably everything else. Be very careful that you are working on Disk 2 as you don't want to delete anything from Disk 1. I've done that, twice. Partition the slave to your liking.

It should go smoothly.

PS  Or you could just install the new HD as a slave if you want to save work.

IP Logged

dave_cal
Radmeister

I love this Forum

Kelowna BC

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 9:36pm

Thanks Brian... Roger that. Will let you know what happens, but it might be a couple of days...
Would rather change the hdd's over since I've had this one now for three years, plus I'd like to try doing this for the experience... Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:08am

dave_cal wrote on Feb 21st, 2006 at 9:36pm:
Would rather change the hdd's over since I've had this one now for three years

If the old HD is three years old then the new HD will be much "faster".

IP Logged

dave_cal
Radmeister

I love this Forum

Kelowna BC

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:36am

Hi Brian...Just doing some testing here, and when I boot from the floppies the PM screen opens then I get an error message telling me it can't find the drive it's looking for. I've tried this three times. I even made a new set of boot disks.
When I try booting from the CD it keeps referring me to the A: drive and the floppies.
When i'm left at the Dos point A:\  I don't know what to type here....  Somethings not right... Any ideas.
I've been reading the Ghost Manual and it looks like it might be easier to do it from  "Copy my Harddrive "   Dave

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 1:05am

dave_cal wrote on Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:36am:
  Somethings not right... Any ideas.
I've been reading the Ghost Manual and it looks like it might be easier to do it from  "Copy my Harddrive "   Dave

No, I haven't. I hope someone can explain this.

As it's a blank HD you could safely do the partitioning from the Windows PM after installing the new HD as a slave.

If you decide to Copy Drive then don't partition the HD. Use the blank HD. Copy one partition at a time and after copying the third partition shut down the computer.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

Resize the partitions later with PM either from Windows or ideally from the boot CD if it's working.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 8:43am

dave_cal

Quote:
when I boot from the floppies the PM screen opens then I get an error message telling me it can't find the drive it's looking for.

Start at the beginning--what is the setup when this occurs--have you removed your old HDD, or placed it as slave and put the new HDD in as master?

What is the exact error message and when does it occur?

If you put your system back that way it has always been, can you boot to PM's DOS interface and see your old HDD without any error messages?

When you power up--go into the BIOS (for most systems--by hitting *Delete* key)--does your system properly detect the new HDD?

How old is your system--you mentioned the HDD you are replacing is 3 years old--does your BIOS support a 160 GB HDD size?  (Back 3 or 4 years ago--many systems choked at somewhere around 137 GB's.)  Some can solve this problem with a BIOS update.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

dave_cal
Radmeister

I love this Forum

Kelowna BC

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 12:51pm

NightOwl...
Old hdd still in place,as master, second hdd in place as slave.
I was checking to make sure I could boot from the floppies or the Cd, which according to the manual which I have followed I should be able to do.
Booting from CD, = "Starting Caldera Dr.Dos)
Displays 1-P Magic_ 2- B Magic_ 3-Dos
Pressing either one gives another display of #2 - 5 which are languages & #6-Dos
Pressing #6 = A:\             nothing !
Then I reboot, change boot mode to Floppy,
insert #1_ Start Caldera Dr.Dos
Change to #2 - Eventually yellow screen of PM 8.0 appears,
followed by a green screen with error message
#88_Unable to find drive specified...      What Drive is that ! ???
Hope this all makes sense...

Noticed that PM is installed in the Administrative Tools Folder.
Not sure whether I did this or not, but was wondering if it had something to do with it not finding the drive.
Thanks again guys for your interest... Dave

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 1:29pm

dave_cal

Quote:
Booting from CD, = "Starting Caldera Dr.Dos)
Displays 1-P Magic_ 2- B Magic_ 3-Dos
Pressing either one gives another display of #2 - 5 which are languages & #6-Dos
Pressing #6 = A:\   nothing !

Your PartitionMagic boot disc works differently than mine--but from what I see there, you should:

a.  Select *1-P Magic* on the first screen

b.  Select your preferred language (#2-5) on the second screen.

Quote:
Noticed that PM is installed in the Administrative Tools Folder.
Not sure whether I did this or not, but was wondering if it had something to do with it not finding the drive.

Should have nothing to do with booting from the CD or floppys.

How about these questions:

Quote:
1.  If you put your system back that way it has always been, can you boot to PM's DOS interface and see your old HDD without any error messages?

2.  When you power up--go into the BIOS (for most systems--by hitting *Delete* key)--does your system properly detect the new HDD?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 2:55pm

With my CD the selections are,

1 for PM

1 for English

IP Logged

dave_cal
Radmeister

I love this Forum

Kelowna BC

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 9:36pm

Hi all, The results I posted above were all done with my original hdd's the way they were, as I have not yet installed the new hdd. I was merely checking to see if I could in fact boot from the CD or floppy.
The second display #'2 to #5 are foreign languages, I assume #1 is the english, but is missing. #6 Dos.
Bios is working fine and sees all drives.
I'm beginning to wonder about this Partition Magic, why should it be so different on other peoples PC's !
I think I did mention I was running Win.XP SP-2

IP Logged

dave_cal
Radmeister

I love this Forum

Kelowna BC

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 10:20pm

Further to the above post, Have discovered that if I unplug my USB Ext Drive I can then boot in from the Floppy.
No way though from the CD, for some reason.
I get the message halfway somewhat thru the CD boot,
that "I am booting from a bootable PM boot disk" go figure !
And " that the A: drive is part of the boot CD, and that I should eject and use the A: drive"
If I then insert #1 floppy it boots part way then asks for the #2 Floppy which then opens in the PM window.
Only problem here, is I now have no back-up drive since the USB drive is disconnected.
Anyone want to buy a Partition Magic Disk ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2006 at 10:55pm

Dave, putting aside the PM problem for the moment, can you boot to the Ghost 10 CD both with and without the external USB HD connected and see the appropriate drives?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print