Replacing Hdd (Read 11044 times)
dave_cal
Radmeister

I love this Forum

Kelowna BC

Re: Replacing Hdd
Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 11:38am

Brian wrote on Feb 22nd, 2006 at 10:55pm:
Dave, putting aside the PM problem for the moment, can you boot to the Ghost 10 CD both with and without the external USB HD connected and see the appropriate drives?

Hi Brian...I think I posted this answer before, and it's no.
I can only boot with the USB hdd unplugged. Otherwise the screen hangs at the white progress lines at the bottom of screen...
Remember when I posted the answer to this prob. from Symantec. "They said it's because of lack of Drivers"

The good news is however, I used "Copy my Harddrive" in Windows Ghost successfully this time. The mistake I made previously was to partition the hdd first.
Going over the manual I found it identical to your post that you linked to yesterday.
The one thing that you did mention, and I would definitely  stress is not to partition or format the new drive beforehand.
By copying each drive, it went very smoothly and after copying all three of my drives, I shut down and changed the new hdd to master. On booting, it did start then gave me a message of "Boot error, press any key" it then completed booting up.
From that I would recommend going into the BIOS at the first boot and bringing the new hdd to the fore.
After that it all went well, as you said before it gave me an exact copy of my C: drive, and it's so much faster now,,,
It even renamed all the drives in alphabetical order.
My conclusion from all of this is to definitely use the "Copy my Harddrive" feature when replacing Hdd's for that's exactly what the Ghost 10 manual says it's for... Dave Wink

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 2:16pm

Quote:
Hi Brian...I think I posted this answer before, and it's no.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11386...

You did too. Strange. How do we get around this for restoring images? As a test, see if you can boot from a Reatogo/BartPE CD with your external HD attached. This is a more forgiving Recovery Environment. We'll work on this later.

The good news is you have successfully copied your HD and the computer is faster. What a relief that must be!

IP Logged

dave_cal
Radmeister

I love this Forum

Kelowna BC

Reply #17 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 2:50pm

see if you can boot from a Reatogo/BartPE CD with your external HD attached.

Brian...I'm at a loss, what is that ? ...D

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 3:04pm

Dave, this will get you started.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

Ignore the Ghost 9 part. Reatogo's build instructions are OK now. Basically you need a WinXP SP2 CD (or an i386 folder in your computer) and WinXP SP2 installed on your computer. You will finish with a CD that has great potential as a recovery tool.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print