HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Back up a DOS system (Read 2856 times)
Waldemar

Back up a DOS system
Mar 19th, 2006 at 9:00pm

Hi to everybody!
I need back up some machines. They work in DOS. No CD-ROMs, but have a parallel port and floppy drive.
I have Ghost 2001. Made boot disk in DOS, then copied ghostpe.exe to the disk, then made parallel cable and connected to an older Toshiba laptop with Windows 2000.
But when starting: A:\ghostpe.exe -lpm , got error message 33001 "Driver for LPT peer to peer is not loaded". Then I made another boot disk from the laptop using option LPT. When I start laptop with the disk the option "Parallel" is activated, but got the same message when I boot the DOS machine.
How can I install the peer to peer driver to DOS? Or generally, how can I back up a DOS mashine to an outer Win2K laptop?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Back up a DOS system
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:42pm

Waldemar

I do not have access to a Ghost 2001 User Guide, but the Ghost 2003 User Guide has the steps for how to set up a *peer-to-peer* connection using a parallel port.

It's in Chapter 7, sub-section *Establishing a peer-to-peer connection with Ghost.exe*, page 95:

Norton 2003 User Guide

You have to boot each machine with a DOS floppy boot disk--each boot floppy having the LPT DOS driver for peer-to-peer connections, and designate one machine as *master* and the other as *slave*.

There is a *Table 7-1* that explains for different Ghost procedures which machine should be *master* and which should be *slave*.

I suspect the outline for Ghost 2003 will apply for Ghost 2001, if Ghost 2001 supports LPT peer-to-peer connections.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

antoineL
Ex Member

Re: Back up a DOS system
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2006 at 3:22am

NightOwl wrote on Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:42pm:
I do not have access to a Ghost 2001 User Guide,
Might have hints there: Symantec Enterprise Support  - Symantec Ghost 7.0 - product manuals. There are the manuals for the Entreprise product (version 7.0, i.e. close to what has been shipped as Norton Ghost 2001).
Pay attention that some features are not activated in the customer product.

NightOwl wrote on Mar 19th, 2006 at 11:42pm:
... but the Ghost 2003 User Guide...
The 2002 version seems to be still available from there, too.

In fact, every other page points to the same FTP folder as NightOwl gave you earlier Wink. And if you navigate a bit through the FTP site, you'll find the native language versions of the manuals, too. Roll Eyes

HTH. Antoine

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print