Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 copy drive probs (Read 7407 times)
futaba1024
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 9 copy drive probs
Mar 24th, 2006 at 3:40pm

Hi Guys.
Just found this board, whilst struggling with a Ghost 9 prob.

Have been using G9 for some time with great results, have done about 10 drive copies on various desktop machines whithout a problem.

The trouble I am having at the moment is on my Dell laptop. on WXP PRO SP1. have done a drive copy in the past with total success, when I upgraded from a 20 gb to 40 gb hd.

So today thought I would copy the 40gb drive (only 8gb on it) back to the spare 20gb drive for a back up via a hd USB2 caddy, which is the same method I used in the first place with no probs.

Trouble is now when I have finished the copy,( which I do in two operations, first the dell EISA partition of 32mb then the main body of the drive in the second), is that after the operation is complete the only partition visible on the drive under windows, is the EISA 32mb one, the rest is still unaloctated. If I go back into Ghost to view the drive it shows the copy is all there.

Anyway thought I would swap the coppied HD into the machine and see what happened, boots into the Windows splash for a few seconds and then goes into blue screen with error codes, but this can only be seen for a split second before going to "start Windows normally" and back to the same loop.

What I find confusing is,
1, have used this method before no prob.

2, how are you suposed to treat the EISA partition (without which the Dell will not boot) under Ghost 9 copy drive.

3, what settings should I be using to copy the two partitions, eg copy MBR, set to active etc.

Have alway had the destination drive set to unalocated in Ghost copy drive.

Any help would be most welcome.
Cheers Martin.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 9 copy drive probs
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 3:59pm

Hi Martin,

Sounds like you do it this way

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

Quote:
, how are you suposed to treat the EISA partition (without which the Dell will not boot) under Ghost 9 copy drive.

I delete that partition and run the diagnostics from the CD if I need them. If you do this then the boot.ini may need to be modified to get Windows to boot. I'd imagine that your current boot.ini shows Partition 2. If you Copy Drive C: drive and don't copy the EISA partition then you may have to edit boot.ini.

I don't think your current problem is boot.ini. It's weird.

PS    Boot.ini can be edited from the Ghost 9 RE CD.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 7:41pm

futaba1024 wrote on Mar 24th, 2006 at 3:40pm:
Trouble is now when I have finished the copy,( which I do in two operations, first the dell EISA partition of 32mb then the main body of the drive in the second), is that after the operation is complete the only partition visible on the drive under windows, is the EISA 32mb one, the rest is still unaloctated. If I go back into Ghost to view the drive it shows the copy is all there.

Martin, could you run the Ghost program PartinNT.exe and then "copy to clipboard" icon and then paste the output here on this forum?

It should be in c:\Program Files\Symantec\Norton Ghost\Utility folder. 

Also, when you say that "the only partition visible on the drive under windows, is the EISA 32mb one", do all partitions show up under Windows XP Disk Manager?

My Computer/right click/manage/Disk Management

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 7:56pm

The partition utility is also on the Recovery boot CD if you can't boot from that specific hard drive.  In that case you can save the copy results to a .txt file or diskette if you have a diskette drive.  Then put contents here.

IP Logged

futaba1024
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 3:54am

Hi Guys.
Thanks for your help.

Have run Partint, but I had unallocted the disc and am not sure whether you want the results from the doner disc or the destination disc before or after a copy attempt, if that makes sense.

Anyway, tried another copy with SSC disabled, but it repeatedly came up with the error "E7C0012 no more free sectors on this disc", is that because the destination drive has a smaller total  capacity than the doner drive ?

When I have done a copy, the destination disc viewed in disc manager,  shows only the first 32mb partition, the rest is still unallocated as far as it is concerned, but as I said G9 shows all 6.7gb on the drive.

Cheers Martin.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 5:03am

Martin, has the 40 GB drive been defragmented recenty. Have a look in Windows defrag or Diskeeper and see if any sectors look like they are beyond the 20 GB mark. I realize you only have 8 GB of data but if it is spread across the 40 GB drive then the 20 GB drive will be "too small".

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 4:16pm

Does the Windows XP free defrag program actually move all files to the front (bottom) of the partition?  I don't think it does.

I know that PerfectDisk http://www.raxco.com/ which I use and like, does move everything to the front; free trial available.  I think Diskeeper http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp also compacts the partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 8:37pm

John, I'd agree with your order of prog success in moving files to the start of the drive. Windows defrag is least successful.

IP Logged

futaba1024
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 4:55am

Thanks guys.
Yes have defraged, but as you say Windows has not moved everything to the left and yes there is some data that looks as though it might be past the 20gig mark.

Will download one of those and try again.

Cheers Martin.

IP Logged

futaba1024
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2006 at 6:57am

HI.
Downloaded Perfect disk and ran it, still had the same prob in G9 ""E7C0012 no more free sectors on this disc" and , yes it did move everything to the sub 20gig part of the disc.

On the plus side, the perfect disk defrag inproved the speed of my drive by about 15%, so that was not a complete waste of time, still can't crack this G9 prob though.

Cheers Martin.

IP Logged

futaba1024
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 2:08pm

Hi Guys.
Have cracked it!!!

After many failures, thought I would try to copy the EISA partition with nothing checked in the left hand fields and then copy main partition with my usual, verify data, set to active, primary and copy MBR checked................ It worked.

Thanks for all your help.
Martin.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print