Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2k3's Read Sector Failure when cloning Linux (Read 26579 times)
Lionel

Ghost 2k3's Read Sector Failure when cloning Linux
Apr 4th, 2006 at 12:07am

I am trying to clone a entire HDD, consist of a Linux OS (Redhat), to a external USB HDD.

I encountered an error number 29004: Read sector failure, result = 1, drive = 0, sectors -456237413 to -456237411 while cloning

I've seen in some other forums that they suggest using -ia or -id, to read the HDD sector by sector... but it takes  6 hrs to do that! OMG... So is ther another ard?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost 2k3's Read Sector Failure when cloning L
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 1:29am

Lionel

Ghost 2003 and USB external HDD compatibility is full of potential pitfalls--are you using Ghost's USB DOS drivers?

Yes, *-ia* (image all) will take a long time--it's a bit-for-bit duplicate of the original HDD.

The *-ib* (image boot--copies the complete boot sector) will not add much time to a cloning process--this may be necessary if you dual boot to some other OS along with Linux--i.e. things like the Grub boot loader are hidden in the part of the boot sector that's not used by most OS's to boot.

Other possibilities that may help--try to make an image first to another partition and then restore it to the USB HDD--or if you only want a backup--simply create an image of the HDD that's your source--rather than a *clone*--technically you make a *clone* so you can pop that HDD in place of the original source HDD--an image is a backup file of the original for possible restores in the future.

Or, maybe a non-Ghost DOS USB driver will be more compatible:

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Lionel

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 2:28am

Thx NightOwl,

Sorry about that, I'm currently using the Panasonic version:
- USBASPI.SYS and DI1000DD.SYS

Maybe, it is not the incompatibility between Ghost 2k3 and external USB HDD becos I did a sector-by-sector method ("-IA") and it works fine...except for the duration of the imaging process.

I was trying to create the image for the whole disk, wouldn't that get the boot loader segment in as well?? So, does "-IB' still help?

I know that the "-IA" switch will include the 'unused' space in the final image as well... Is ther anything to prevent it from including all those inside?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2006 at 8:47am

Lionel

What version of *USBASPI.SYS*--there's three:

v2.06
, size=37,903, dated 11/26/2002

v2.15
, size=39,093, dated 10/26/2003

v2.20
, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

After clicking on the downloaded *.exe* file which extracts the enclosed files, you will find the *Usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* subdirectory.

Quote:
I did a sector-by-sector method ("-IA") and it works fine

Hmmm...that's interesting!  Why would there be a *read* error on *sectors -456237413 to -456237411*--which is quite a few sectors out vs no read errors when doing a more intensive read/write of *-ia* (imaging all) the source HDD--including empty space.

But, it does not sound like a incompatibility issue, per say, if you have success with the *-ia* switch.

Quote:
I was trying to create the image for the whole disk, wouldn't that get the boot loader segment in as well?? So, does "-IB' still help?

Well, *-ia* will force the whole boot sector to be copied--just like the rest of the disk--I was just mentioning it in case you were using something like the *grub* boot loader that's outside the *standard* boot data that a standard Ghost clone would include.  If you are not using the *-ia* or *-id* switches, then you might need the *-ib* switch!

Shot in the dark--several people have reported that the Ghost procedure fails somewhere in the middle if they do not load *himem.sys* as part of their boot files--does your boot sequence include *himem.sys*? 

Apparently, some few systems do not handle system memory correctly so that eventually data or commands collide during a Ghost procedure and one gets a failure error--but the addition of *himem.sys* solves the issue.

Report back with the results of your efforts!

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Lionel

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 9:15pm

I have no idea of which version the USBASPI.SYS I'm using... but the last modified date was 5/25/2001, 43,528 bytes, together with DI1000DD.SYS (8/16/2001, 16,368 bytes).

I have tested the 3 versions of USBASPI.SYS and none of them worked. I used Ghost v8.0 as stated in the Symantec support page that it supports the GRUB loader which I'm using:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/...

I've tried including the Himem.sys from a Win98 bootup disk as well but failed again.

Haiz... Below is a copy of the error details provided by the Ghost program:
Error Number: (29004)
Message: Read sector failure, result = 1, drive = 0, sectors -456237413 to -456237411
Version: 8.0.0.984 (Oct  3 2003, Build=984)
OS Version: DOS v7.10
Command line arguments:
Active Switches :
      AutoName
PathName            :
DumpFile            : 2:1\WebSerG8.GHO
DumpPos             : 48005
Last LFO Buffersize : 32768
Last LFO Path       :
 Full Path         : 2:1\WebSerG8.GHO
 Disk:Partition    : 2:1
Last LFO Filesystem : Proprietary
Last LFO Error      : Filesystem error: File or directory does not exist
Last LFO Error Path :
 Full Path         : 2:1\WebSerG8.GHO
 Disk:Partition    : 2:1
FlagImplode         : 3
FlagExplode         : 0

Operation Details :
 Total size.........0
 MB copied..........0
 MB remaining.......0
 Percent complete...0%
 Speed..............0MB/min
 Time elapsed.......0:00  
 Time remaining.....0:00  

Oh ya... I'm using the Bootable Disks (MS-DOS) created through Ghost 2k3, then replaced the USB drivers & edit the config.sys. Ghost program used are Ghost 2k3 & Ghost 8.0.
Although I think they should not affect the results but I listed these out just in case...

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 12:18am

Lionel

Is there an equivalent Linux program to *Scan Disk* or *Check Disk*--maybe there's a bad sector or the file system has a bad entry--another *shot in the dark*.

IP Logged

Lionel

Reply #6 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 12:36am

Thx NightOwl,

I've thought of that too... but after getting the exact same error message on another PC of similar build, I had cancelled that possibility.

Another thing that I've found out, at the Ghost DOS program, I used the Ghost's Check Disk Integrity or something like that... I get the same error too...

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #7 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 1:13am

The Linux equivalent of ScanDisk is fsck (for file system check).  It is pretty good at finding and reapiring disk errors and it can't hurt to run it and see.  Most distos include it, so you should be able to just type "fsck" from a terminal.  Many distros will even let you run it from a shell.

You say you are getting the same erros on a simular PC, so I'm starting to wonder if Ghost is having trouble reading your file system.  What file system are you using?  Ext3?  RiserFS?  JFS? 

And for the Ghost gurus here, how good is Ghost at dealing with other file systems?  Is it made for Fat32 and NTFS, or can it do pretty much anything?  Also, would it help to try Ghost 10 and see if the later version makes a difference?

I've never played with it on my Linux computer.  I prefer a cron job that tars up my important files and copies them to a Network File Sever regularly.  If you can't get Ghost working, that might be something to think about.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 1:28am

MrMagoo

From Ghost 2003's User Guide:

Quote:
Linux support: You can back up, restore, and clone EXT3 file systems.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 1:46am

So then the qustion becomes: Are we working with Ext3, or something else.

Also, if you continue to have trouble with Ghost, here are a few links I dug up on native Linux backup solutions.  All free, of course.

Backup to a file server:
http://metashell.blogspot.com/2006/03/how-to-backup-your-linux-system-using.html

Use the backup tools in Damn Small Linux on a Live CD:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/notes.html

IP Logged

FirebirdTN
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2007 at 8:20pm

Long time user and lurker, first time poster.

I am trying to Ghost a RedHat ES4 installation to DVD, and I am getting the EXACT same error.

I KNOW the partitions are clean.  I have had Ghost error out on me before with bad media, so I tried 2 different brand DVD+Rs, and just for s&gs tried a CD-R, all with the same result.

I am using Ghost 2003 with the latest ghost.exe build from symantec.

Although I am not 100% certain what all the partition file system types are, I am pretty confident they are ext3.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Alan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print