HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bootable cd ghost 7.5 (Read 2714 times)
kingace47
Ex Member

bootable cd ghost 7.5
Apr 5th, 2006 at 10:46am

I'm running corp edition ghost cast server 7.5 the problem i'm having is trying to make a bootable cd so that i can connect to the ghost cast server session to load and dump images, i've tried the boot wizard but it's kinda of confusing to me with the steps of creating it. it has NETWORK BOOK DISK in which it makes a floopy disks. and then there is CD-ROM BOOT DISK feature so what are the Steps of creating a bootable cd with nic divers and will boot like the ghost net floopy disk.   ???

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: bootable cd ghost 7.5
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2006 at 11:19am

kingace47

The *boot wizard* in Ghost 7.5 (and Ghost 2003--the retail version of Ghost 7.5) only creates floppy boot disks.

The *CD-ROM BOOT DISK* is really just creating floppy boot disks with CD-Rom Support--not a bootable CD disc.

The problem with trying to use a bootable optical media (CD or DVD) with network support are the DOS programs that mount the network support.

Ghost 7.5 (and Ghost 2003) use a boot up sequence that *discovers* what NIC card is on the system, and then *writes* the needed file (*.ini* file for the NIC card?) for that NIC card to the floppy disk as part of the boot sequence--but you can not *write* that needed file to a boot CD--the boot sector of the bootable CD that creates the *virtual floppy A:\ drive* can not be *written to* during boot.

You will find a way to create a bootable CD with the needed files here:

How to Create a Ghost 8.0 Network Boot CD

It says for *Ghost 8.0*, but works for Ghost 7.5 and Ghost 2003.

In the comment section after the article, one poster posted this information as to how to create a bootable CD that allows the boot process to discover and write the needed file to a *RamDrive*:

Quote:
Comment Tony Smith
March 24, 2005 at 2:03pm
I created a network multicard template Ghost boot CD about 6 months ago using similar method as the author.
I found that pcidet.dos insists on writing files to the A drive which was a problem when booting from a CD.
(Emphasis added by NightOwl) The solution was to create a ram drive and copy the net and Ghost directories from the floppies created by the Ghost Boot Wizard to the ramdrive. Then you need a program like device.com that loads drivers in autoexec.bat instead of config.sys. Before pcidet.dos runs you need to use the assign statement to map your ramdrive to A: My config.sys looks like this:

device=oakcdrom.sys /d:cdrom
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20
device=a:ramdrive.sys 4096 /e
LASTDRIVE=Z

My autoexec.bat looks like this:

rem @echo off
SET TZ=GHO+07:00
prompt $p$g
mscdex /d:cdrom /L:x
mouse.com

rem----- Copy the necessary system files to the ramdrive
copy command.com c:
copy assign.com c:
copy autoexec.bat c:
copy comp.dat c:
copy device.com c:

rem----- Copy the nic card folder and Ghost program to the ramdrive
xcopy x:net*.* c:net /s/v
xcopy x:ghost*.* c:ghost /s/v

rem----- The assign statement is necessary because pcidet.dos copies to A:
assign a:=c:

device netpcidet.dos
device netprotman.dos /I:net
device netdis_pkt.dos

call netdoit.bat
netnetbind.com

rem echo Loading...
cd ghost
ghost

I have recently created a new boot cd that uses
pciscan.exe
instead of pcidet.dos to detect the network card. With this I don't need the assign statement and it will be easier to add new NIC's

You can find more about *PCIscan* here:

PCIscan

Hope this helps.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  ;) !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print