Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 feedback ? (Read 6367 times)
John.
Übermensch

Ghost 10 feedback ?
Apr 24th, 2006 at 5:56pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 16th, 2006 at 1:33am:
I have up to now used Ghost 2003 exclusively (well, I did use Ghost 2002 some, but did not start using Ghost seriously until 2003 was out!)--but, I am on the edge of beginning to use Ghost 10 as well--I will be installing and experimenting with it soon.

NightOwl,

Have you installed Ghost 10 yet?  Just wondering what your impression(s) are so far as I know you have a lot of extensive expert experience in the previous Ghost versions.  How does Ghost 10 compare feature wise and operation wise (pro and con)?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost 10 feedback ?
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 9:21am

Ghost4me

Patients, my friend, I'm not there yet!

Actually, I plan on installing Ghost 9 (I have that also!) first, and using that to create the ReatogoXpe with the Ghost 9 plugin before moving up to Ghost 10!

Here's a question--do you have to *register/activate* the Ghost 9.x installation before you can use it to create the ReatogoXpe with Ghost 9 plugin?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 11:43am

NightOwl wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 9:21am:
do you have to *register/activate* the Ghost 9.x installation before you can use it to create the ReatogoXpe with Ghost 9 plugin?

I don't know about Ghost 9 plugin, but expect that Brian will be able to answer that.

Ghost 9 does not require activation when installing in XP as far as I have experienced; Ghost 10 does; Ghost Save & Restore does.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:34pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 9:21am:
Here's a question--do you have to *register/activate* the Ghost 9.x installation before you can use it to create the ReatogoXpe with Ghost 9 plugin?

NightOwl,

You just need to enter the serial number at the first reboot after installing Ghost 9. Creating the autoHelp Ghost plugin is easy and the serial has to be entered again during the plugin creation. It creates a dotNet plugin too. Make sure that the Reatogo CD works before uninstalling Ghost 9 because Ghost 9 is one of only two plugins (that I'm aware) that require the program to be installed so that Ghost 9 can be included in the Reatogo build. That is, after you uninstall Ghost 9 you can't build another Reatogo CD containing Ghost 9.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 4:18pm

NightOwl, I’m curious:  why the desire to investigate Ghost 9 before Ghost 10?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 5:47pm

Pleonasm

I'm not wanting to explore Ghost 9.x as installed on my system so much, as installing it long enough to create the ReatogoXpe with the Ghost 9 plugin.

Once I have the ReatogoXpe, I can run Ghost 9 as if it were on my system--but it's from a boot CD--so I can do all the Ghost 9 functions--whereas Ghost 10 can only be run with its more limited functions on the Recovery Disk.  A plugin for Ghost 10 does not exist--at least not yet.

Will I actually use it much?--probably not--it's more the thought that it's there and available if I need it--I will probably use BartPE and Ghost32 v8.xx from the Ghost 10 CD more than Ghost 9.  And probably Ghost 10 will be the *installed* version of Ghost that I will be using.

For forum purposes--there are still questions about Ghost 9--so I might keep a dual boot system around with the Ghost 9 on it so I can see what a person is referring to when they post a question.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Papov

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 8:12am

Hello Night Owl Other Ghost Gurus,

I have some questions about Ghost 10 if you could care to answer.

1. Can Ghost 10 be installed on a machine running XP & having Ghost 2003 already on it or does one need to uninstall Ghost 2003 prior to installing 10?

2.  Some place I read the cons of hot imaging (taking shots  of moving object with a still camera will mostly be blurry…seems logical).

Hypothetically speaking than the restored image from 10 may not be as accurate as from Ghost 2003?

10 may have lots of other pros but if the image restoration is not as accurate as 2003 than it serves little purpose.

I’m asking you all this cause I just bought a copy of 10 & wanted to be sure that is switching to 10 a smart move?

Regards,

Sincerely,

Ivanov Papov Yezinki.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 8:58am

Quote:
"... Hypothetically speaking than the restored image from 10 may not be as accurate as from Ghost 2003?..."

Check out the thread below regarding the Corporate Version of Norton Ghost 8.2 that is embedded in the Norton Ghost 10.0 CD, and a viable approach to substituting it for Norton Ghost 2003
albeit it does not need to transition to and from DOS

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11440...

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 9:23am

Papov

Regarding your questions:

1.  The Windows based Ghost 2003 GUI must be uninstalled before you can install Ghost 10.  The DOS only based Ghost 2003 can be used from a floppy boot disk or bootable optical disc while Ghost 10 is installed--because Windows is not booted and active when using the DOS version.

Quote:
Some place I read the cons of hot imaging (taking shots  of moving object with a still camera will mostly be blurry…seems logical). 

Hypothetically speaking than the restored image from 10 may not be as accurate as from Ghost 2003?

As long as Ghost 10 is working compatibly with your system (yes--Ghost 10 may not be compatible with your system--seems like there can be software conflicts with other WinXP software/services running in the background along with Ghost 10--just like Ghost 2003 may not be  Wink ) , then the point in time that the Ghost 10 image is taken is just as accurate as any Ghost 2003 image.

Those using Ghost 10 regularly have not reported problems with *accuracy* or completeness of the images.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2006 at 10:31am

Papov, your hesitancy about the “taking shots of moving object with a still camera” may be alleviated by reading the thread Hot Imaging on this forum.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print