Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Unable to find free MBR slot (Read 14251 times)
airknocker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Unable to find free MBR slot
May 1st, 2006 at 9:57am

I've done a couple of initial images on a new drive with multiple partitions (using the radified technique). Now I'm getting a message "Unable to find a free MBR slot in the virtual Partition DLL". Increasing the size of the virtual partition doesn't seem to help. Any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Unable to find free MBR slot
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2006 at 10:13am

airknocker

Did you change your partition scheme since your last successful use of Ghost?

A HDD can have up to 4 *primary partitions* (i.e. four slots or positions available in the MBR).  If you create an *extended partition*, that will use up one *primary partition*--you can have only one extended partition per HDD--but that partition can hold as many *logical partitions* as you have drive letters available without using up any more *primary* slots.

That error you mention occurs if you have used up all 4 MBR slots on the boot HDD--so Ghost can not create its *virtual partition* that it needs to do Ghosting from the Windows GUI version of Ghost.

You can still use a boot floppy or optical media to Ghost from DOS--because in that case Ghost does not create a *virtual partition* and so an open slot is not needed.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

airknocker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2006 at 2:33pm

I had done previous images from the DOS  version. I do have 4 primary partitions and didn't realize I needed a free one to use windows.
Thanks

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2006 at 4:37pm

IP Logged

airknocker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2006 at 9:23pm

Thanks! I'll keep doing my images from the DOS version.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2006 at 1:31pm

NightOwl wrote on May 1st, 2006 at 10:13am:
That error you mention occurs if you have used up all 4 MBR slots on the boot HDD--so Ghost can not create its *virtual partition* that it needs to do Ghosting from the Windows GUI version of Ghost.
You can still use a boot floppy or optical media to Ghost from DOS--because in that case Ghost does not create a *virtual partition* and so an open slot is not needed.

Just to clarify for me (and maybe airknocker) the version(s) of Ghost that create a *virtual partion* are Ghost 8 or 7?

And NOT the current Windows versions of Ghost, Ghost 9, 10, and Save & Restore?

The reason why I asked is because of airknocker's last statement:

Quote:

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2006 at 6:10pm

Ghost4me

The *virtual partition* is a feature that showed up when DOS based Ghost was given a Windows GUI.  I believe that happened with Ghost 2003.  Prior to that, I think Ghost did not have the Windows GUI where you could set up your Ghost procedure.

The retail version was Ghost 2003, and the equivalent corporate version is 7.x.

The corporate Ghost 8.x would have probably been the retail Ghost 2004--but that retail version never came out.  The next retail version was Ghost 9.x and since then, Ghost 10.x.

The corporate Ghost 8.x appears to be still supported by Symantec for its corporate customers, being as Ghost 8.3 was recently release (well 3 or 4 months ago I think).  I do not know if Ghost 8.x still uses the Windows GUI with the option of shutting down Windows, booting to DOS, and then booting back to Windows--if it does, then I would assume it still uses the *virtual partition* in its routine.  But I suspect it does being as there is a DOS *ghost.exe* still being updated.

Ghost 8.x also has a 32-bit version that runs under Windows in a *command Window*--but it can not image the current running OS partition--only all other partitions--so no *hot imaging*.  That version is not creating a *virtual partition*.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2006 at 6:28pm

What I recall is that Drive Image (predecessor of Ghost 9) and older versions of Ghost used the technique you described so you could "setup" the imaging in Windows, but then the mbr was modified, and a reboot triggered to boot from a virtual diskette or virtual partition image to accomplish the actual backup in DOS.

But wanted to clarify that now you do NOT need to use the DOS Ghost versions just because you have all 4 mbr slots in use with Windows versions of Ghost 9, 10, etc.

I think that was airknocker's implied question/statement.

Summary:  Even if you have all 4 mbr slots in use, the Windows versions of Ghost 9, 10, Save & Restore can be used.  Agree?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2006 at 7:17pm

Ghost4me

Quote:
Even if you have all 4 mbr slots in use, the Windows versions of Ghost 9, 10, Save & Restore can be used.

I can't say for 100 %, but because you do not *drop to DOS*--I'm pretty sure that no *virtual partition* is created, and there is no MBR issue of needing an available unused slot.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2006 at 7:25pm

I'm pretty sure I used Drive Image 7 on a previous computer with 4 primary partitions.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2006 at 7:57pm

Airknocker: Quote:

Thanks.  I just wanted to clairfy for airknocker that even if all 4 of his mbr slots are in use, he CAN use the Windows versions of Ghost 9, 10, or S&R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print