Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 shuts down computer during Restore (Read 5526 times)
Pete Benlow

Ghost 2003 shuts down computer during Restore
May 2nd, 2006 at 5:17pm

Roll Eyes
I'm trying to copy the NTFS system partition (C:) to a Ghost 2003 image on another NTFS partition on my laptop. At some point between 10%-25% completion (always a different point) the system abruptly shuts down.
I wasted a couple of DVD-Rs before attempting the HDD partition-partition experiment - the same thing happens again & again. Sudden shut down.
I've used Ghost for several years with great success - I pretty well depend on it, never a problem before now. I  even used it on this very laptop two years ago, & it worked fine.
Can't understand why this is suddenly happening. I considered disk space & power management, but it doesn't seem to be related to either. I also uninstalled commercial PC games, in case their protection systems were causing the problem.
Nope.(unless uninstalling King Kong doesn't remove its protection).
Its as if a favourite uncle who always got me out of scrapes has suddenly hit the bottle. If you can't rely on Ghost, what is there?
Any help on this one much appreciated.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Ghost 2003 shuts down computer during Restore
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2006 at 5:20pm

Are you starting the creation from the Windows Interface? If so, try starting the creation from Ghost Boot Disks!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Pete Benlow

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2006 at 5:45pm

Thanks Christer

I had this in mind myself, & am just working my way through your forum messages about creating a boot cd for NTFS laptops without a floppy drive.

When I discover how to create a suitable boot CD, I'll post back

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2006 at 6:18pm

Pete Benlow

Also, check your BIOS settings for any power saving settings--many systems do not see a DOS program running in the background as a *keep the system running* event.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pete Benlow

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2006 at 3:44pm

Found an old backup DVD which was PC DOS bootable, but alas get the same shut-down problem when attempting to write an image.
Presumably this rules out any conflict with Windows processes.
I disabled Power Management in the Bios, disconnected all external devices, ensured the laptop was running from mains not battery.
Beginning to think it might be a hardware fault of some kind...except in every other respect the machine (2 year old Gericom with AMI Bios) seems to work perfectly.

IP Logged

Pete Benlow

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2006 at 5:19pm

I've noticed that every time my image backup fails, whether from pcdos or windows, the remnant of a .gho file in my target folder is always 8 bytes in length.
Question: where is ghost originally storing all the image data if not in my specified folder ? (since obviously even when it fails at 20% completion, you would expect a few hundred megabytes of data to have been transferred)

best to all,

Pete Benlow

IP Logged

Pete Benlow

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2006 at 7:09pm

Problem Solved.

Problem solved! (thanks to Ian at Support in my lab)
Apparently it is to do with power management - Ghost sends a flag to PCDos which indicates battery power on/off, something like that. I don't pretend to understand.
Anyway, my Techie friend ran a patch CD which solved the problem.
He says it will be a growing problem on laptops with old batteries.
Thanks for help.
Best,
Pete B.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - May 16th, 2006 at 8:55am

Pete Benlow

I know it's been awhile since you posted your last response to this thread--and you may not be visiting here any longer, but...

Quote:
Anyway, my Techie friend ran a patch CD which solved the problem.
He says it will be a growing problem on laptops with old batteries.

I understand that you "don't pretend to understand", but it would be very helpful to the Radified Community if you could/would share the information in the boot sector of the *patch CD*--specifically:

1.  a list of the boot files in boot sector

2.  a listing of the text in the *autoexec.bat*

3.  a listing of the text in the *config.sys*

If you respond to this post, I can help you through how to access that information--or maybe your *Techie friend*,  Ian at Support in my lab, could provide the information to you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print