Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DOS doesn't see IDE disk with SCSI boot drive (Read 4240 times)
kkoceski
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

DOS doesn't see IDE disk with SCSI boot drive
May 19th, 2006 at 2:07pm

I have a Dell 620 that boots from a SCSI drive.  The SCSI controller is on the MotherBoard.  The system also has an IDE controller on the MoBo with a DVD drive.  This system worked great (XP Pro).  Naturally, I wanted more storage, so I added a Maxtor 200GB IDE drive.  Now, everything still looks great - with one exception.  Now when I floppy boot to DOS, only my SCSI hard drive and IDE DVD drive are visible.  The new 200GB IDE hard drive is not available.  The IDE is active because the DVD drive is available.  Again, everything is OK while in XP Pro, so I know I have things connected.  I tried various permutations of Master, Slave, Cable Select with no fix.

My guess at my problem is that DOS first sees the SCSI drive and is satisfied because it doesn't see any other drives on the SCSI controller.

I made the floppy from NightOwl's guide.  From here I learned about oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe.  What I am now hoping for is that there is something similar like "oakIDEdrive.sys" and "msIDEdriveex.exe" that will allow me to access my 200GB drive from DOS.

Any takers ???  Nothing urgent here - simply academic.

As "karma" payment, I would like to offer the following:

I also added a "Rosewill 2x 1394/ 3+1 USB2.0 PCI Combo Card Model RC-110" (from NewEgg).  After much frustration I finally got DOS to see this card.  The secret I found was that you have to power down and not just Ctrl-Alt-Delete from the DOS prompt.  So, power down, then start the boot.

Thanx in advance, Kurt

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: DOS doesn't see IDE disk with SCSI boot drive
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2006 at 3:31pm

kkoceski wrote on May 19th, 2006 at 2:07pm:
"... I have a Dell 620 that boots from a SCSI drive.  The SCSI controller is on the MotherBoard.  The system also has an IDE controller on the MoBo with a DVD drive.  This system worked great (XP Pro).  Naturally, I wanted more storage, so I added a Maxtor 200GB IDE drive..."

Two questions: (1) do you have more than one IDE controller on the MoBo; and (2) if not, does the DVD drive share the same IDE cable with the IDE drive?

EP
Cry

IP Logged

kkoceski
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2006 at 3:54pm

1) I think 2 ports, but I'm at work now and PC is at home.
2) Even tho 2 ports, I know I just put the hard drive on the second connector of the cable.

Over the weekend, I'll try putting the hard drive on that separate IDE port.  I'll let you know the results (hopefully tomorrow).

IP Logged

kkoceski
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2006 at 8:06am

Bottom line is BIOS configuration...

As I'm writing this, I realize that I don't have the correct terminology at the tip of my tongue.  I have 2 IDE connectors on my MoBo, each with 2 "ports".  I received the system with the IDE cable plugged into the "second" connector, and the first "port" (Master - with CS jumper and "end" of IDE cable) was plugged into a CD-RW (that died and I replaced with a DVD+/-RW).  The IDE hard drive I added is now on the "inner" connector, with the CS jumper, so it is Slave.

My second "port" was "OFF" in the BIOS.  That's why DOS couldn't see it.  Evidently, XP can see it even when it's "OFF".

The other thing was that the BIOS "disk order" was set for the IDE as the first drive.  Before I stumbled across this, The "C" drive was always allocated to the first FAT32 partition on the IDE drive.

This was the most I've done with BIOS.  I think the only other times I've dorked with it was for the boot order.

I don't have everything set up completely yet, but now I have a good handle on it.  I'm going to read the Rad SCSI boot Guide.  Other than that, I'm good to go.  I spent a good portion of the weekend on this, so the wife is, well, you can fill in the blanks here.  I'm not sure when I'll have this up the way I want it.  Actually, this may never happen.  I got this PC from work, as the result of a move that forced a clearing out of some old stuff.  It's pretty much a toy/learning vehicle to me now.

It's OK with me to close this Subject, and THANX !!! - Kurt

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2006 at 11:45am

My Dell Dimension 8100 has a 120GB Maxtor SATA HDD in the 'MASTER' position although it is routed through a PCI-to-SATA card.  As strange as it may seem, the system "sees" my MASTER HDD as a SCSI device - go figure!  CLICK HERE to view my successful effort to finally recognize an IDE drive in the 'SLAVE' position on the
primary IDE cable

As to the optical drives in my world, 'Cable-Select' jumper settings do not work consistently and I have found that jumpers are best be set to either MASTER or SLAVE at the respective positions.  Anecdotally, when I started tinkering around inside PCs, I initially adhered to a preference for 'Cable-Select' jumper settings; however, when constructing my first 'homebuilt' PCs - two identical machine simultaneously, at that - I discovered than the
secondary IDE cable
setup serving both optical drives on each machine was somewhat dysfunctional with both devices set at 'Cable-Select'.  By setting the jumpers of the upper DVD-ROM drive to 'MASTER' and the jumpers of the lower DVD-R/W to 'SLAVE' set things right.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

kkoceski
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2006 at 9:44am

Just another curiosity:  If I turn "OFF" both the Master and Slave of the secondary IDE cables, XP fails to see both the IDE DVD (on Master) and the IDE disk drive (on Slave).  Then I tried "AUTO"'ing the Slave of the secondary IDE cable.  Now XP sees both the DVD and disk.  I guess when you enable either one of the cables, XP can magically see the other also.
(remember, initially, I had things the other way around, and XP saw the other also).

DOS, however, reacts as you would expect.

Kurt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print