Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question regarding Norton Ghost... (Read 3270 times)
b00h_
Ex Member

Question regarding Norton Ghost...
May 21st, 2006 at 10:49pm

Hey all.

I've never used Norton Ghost before, so I have a question or two about it, I was hoping you could help me answering them.

Well, let's say I format drive C:\ and I backup drive C:\ beforehand with Norton Ghost, and save the image file in drive D:\.

Will I be able to restore all of the information stored in the image file to drive C:\, and everything that was on it prior the format? What happens if I stored anything in drive C:\ before restoring the image file's content? Will it be deleted?

Can I use the 1.44" bootable floppy disk on the same basis in DOS?

During the operation process of Norton Ghost (i.e, when everything is being copied), can anything happen to the other drives in the PC?

I need help on the topic, I've read guides and understood everything, and all, but those are questions I was still asking myself.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Question regarding Norton Ghost...
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2006 at 11:40pm

b00h_

Quote:
Will I be able to restore all of the information stored in the image file to drive C:\, and everything that was on it prior the format?

That's exactly what Ghost will allow you to do--if you have done everything correctly, and you have verified the integrity of the image, and made sure all hardware functions correctly with the Ghost software--but, it's a little nerve wracking the first time through--it helps if you have a spare HDD to practice on instead of your main HDD with the OS!

Quote:
What happens if I stored anything in drive C:\ before restoring the image file's content? Will it be deleted?

Restoring the image will be the same as a reformat and restoring of the image files--so the only data that you have when you're done is what was saved to that backup image.

Quote:
Can I use the 1.44" bootable floppy disk on the same basis in DOS?

I'm assuming you are referring to Ghost 2003, and not Ghost 9 or 10--because they do not have a 1.44 DOS boot floppy to run from--the DOS version of Ghost 2003 will do exactly what the Windows GUI of Ghost 2003 will do--the interface will be different--but the functions will be the same.

Quote:
During the operation process of Norton Ghost (i.e, when everything is being copied), can anything happen to the other drives in the PC?

Creating an image is benign--Ghost will not cause any harm to any data or settings--but, if you have a hardware/software incompatibility--you could get stuck in Ghost 2003's *virtual partition* if you are using its Windows GUI--see here for being prepared to deal with that: 

How to use GhReboot

Cannot start Windows after starting a Ghost 2003 task from Windows

How to restart the computer into Windows if a problem is encountered after running Ghost 2003

And some systems have SATA HDD's and have had some difficulties with Ghost 2003 in DOS--this may help to be prepared for that possibility: 
Re: Bootable cd without floppy

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

b00h_
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2006 at 11:55pm

OK, thanks alot. But I think you misunderstood one question...

Quote:
What happens if I stored anything in drive C:\ before restoring the image file's content? Will it be deleted?

What I mean by that, is that let's assume I stored something in drive C:\ before I even used the image, ok? So, what will happen to the files stored in C:\, if I restore the image file's content? Will the other files be deleted, or remain intact?

And I'm sorry if it's me who misunderstood your answer.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2006 at 12:17am

b00h_

When you restore an image--the partition that you restore to is *overwritten* as if you had just done a *re-format*--a *re-format* will wipe everything from that partition--then the image files will be restored--so any files you added between the time you created the image and the time you restore that image will *be gone*!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print