Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best Way To Clone New HD With Ghost9??? (Read 23277 times)
MacKenrick
Radmeister

Help Stamp Out & Eradicate
Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Best Way To Clone New HD With Ghost9???
May 27th, 2006 at 8:02pm

I've read several posts here about "cloning" a new HD but I'm still a little confused about how to prep the new HD, how to connect it, etc.  Can someone tell me how to do this or direct me to tutorial.  I've got a 80 gig WD HD that I want to replace with a Seagate 160 gig.  The current 80 gig has two partitions ( C=40gig & D=40gig).  I want to clone both C & D to the new drive.  I want the new Seagate to be C=40gig and D=120gig (these are all approx sizes of course).

Should I connect the Seagate inside the computer as the second HD and do it that way?  If I do it that way, do I partition and format the Seagate?  What drive letters do I assign the Seagate...  "M" & "N".  Do I "rename" the drive letters back to "C" and "D" when I swap the new for the old drive?

As you can see I'm not sure how this should be done.  Can I just replace the old WD with the Seagate and use my Ghost9 Image of "C" to restore it to the new Seagate?

Any help will be appreciated.   Mac

P4, 2.4 gig, 1gig ram, WinXP SP2, Ghost9

MacKenrick

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Best Way To Clone New HD With Ghost9???
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2006 at 9:30pm

MacKenrick wrote on May 27th, 2006 at 8:02pm:
"... As you can see I'm not sure how this should be done..."

Someone who knows how it should be done with Norton Ghost 9.0 will be along shortly (my forte' is Norton Ghost 2003).  However, in the meanwhile check out the URL below for a countermeasure against booting with conflicting HDDs following a cloning procedure:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11173...

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2006 at 10:23pm

MacKenrick,

There are several ways to do it but this is what I'd do.

Install the new HD in your computer as a Master and jumper the old HD as a slave. From the Partition Magic boot floppies or CD create a 40 GB primary partition and an 80 GB logical drive. Using the Ghost 9 CD, restore your C drive backup image to the primary partition on the new HD.

Quote:
Boot to the Ghost CD
Set the Time Zone
Advanced Recovery Tasks
System Restore
dot in Restore drives          ,Next
dot in Single drive            ,Next
Browse to your image file      ,Next
Select a destination           ,Next
tick Verify backup
tick Check for file system errors after restore
tick Resize drive to fill unallocated space (Y or N) Will be greyed out if partition is correct size
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)
tick Restore original disk signatures
tick Restore MBR
Next
tick Reboot after finish
Finish

When the computer reboots, boot to the Partition Magic floppies or CD and hide the OS partition on the old HD.

Boot to Windows. I assume your D drive is a data partition so simply copy the data across to the logical partition on the new HD with Windows Explorer (My Computer).

The new OS will automatically be C drive. Remove your old HD unless you plan to use it as a second HD.

If you don't have Partition Magic, let us know as the approach will be slightly different.

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2006 at 11:09pm

Thanks Brian but as luck would have it, I do not have Partition Magic... RATS!  I do have a USB 2.) HD enclosure that I can put the Seagate 120 gig HD into.  I also have an external WD 120gig HD if that can be used in some way.

I thought it was fairly easy to use Ghost9 to make a "Clone" of your hard drive but I guess it's not.  I guess the main issue is naming the "C" (OS) drive. on the cloned HD.

Thanks for helping me with this Brian.  You've help me several times before too.  I'll probably be getting a bill from you on this one.  LOL

PS:  Thank you Pescador for your advice also.      Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2006 at 11:41pm

Mac,

Yes you can "clone" but I think restoring an image is easier.

Put your 120 GB HD in the enclosure and partition it into 40/80 as discussed before. Use Win XP Disk Management. If your backup image is on DVDs, copy it onto your present D drive or to the new 80 GB logical drive on your 120 GB HD. Restoring an image from DVDs is a real pain.

Swap HDs. Put your 80 GB drive in the enclosure and 120 GB drive in the computer as a Master.

Restore the image as discussed above.

Boot to Windows. Copy your data from the D drive. Drive letters may be different for the data drives.

If you want to do it as a Copy Drive then start with the new HD in the enclosure. Partition as 40/80, primary/ logical. Then delete the first partition so you have 40 GB of Unallocated Space. Reboot so Windows doesn't see a primary partition present on your new HD . Now do Copy Drive from Windows.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11175...

Ignore the parts about master and slave.

When the copy is complete shutdown and install your new HD as Master and don't have the old HD connected to the computer at all. Boot to Windows. Shutdown and attach the enclosure containing your old HD. Boot to Windows. Copy the data across from your old D drive.

The C drive takes care of itself. The OS on the new master HD will be C drive. Your old C drive will be given another drive letter.

Confused? I hope not.

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2006 at 2:37am

Thanks Brian.  I think I understand but have a couple of questions... don't want to screw this up. 

#1. When I put the new Seagate HD into the USB enclosure and partition it into 40 gigs and 80 gigs, do I give the partitions a drive letter such as "M" and "N" or do I leave them blank.  Do I format these partitions?

#2. After I do the above, and put the Seagate HD into the computer as the Primary HD, do I boot with the Norton Recovery Disk to Restore the "Image" of "C" that I have on my secondary HD (the secondary HD is a WD120gig and I have my "Images" of the "C" & "D" drive on.

#3. After I restore the Image of "C" to the new Seagate HD, will it automatically change the drive letter to "C"?

Sorry for so many questions.   Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2006 at 3:01am

Keep the questions coming. It's best to understand every step before you start.

#1 When you create the partitions, choose to format them with your favourite, NTFS or FAT32. They will be given a drive letter. Just accept what is given. You can change the drive letters later when all the hard work has been done. Make sure you give each partition a label so that the partitions can be recognized in the Recovery Environment as they will probably have different drive letters in the RE.

#2 The Seagate 160 GB HD is in the computer as Master. The 120 GB WD is an external HD and it contains the C drive image and the D drive image. Is that correct? Boot to the Norton Recovery CD and restore both backup images. Choose restore "Multiple drives" or do the restores one at a time. Whichever feels the most comfortable.

#3 When you first boot after the restore process the OS on the 160 GB drive will be C drive.

When you eventually attach your old HD as an external or internal HD, you will find the first partition is F drive, G drive etc. Anything but C drive.

Mac, if you stuff it up, it's no problem. No permanent damage. You just do it again.

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2006 at 2:28am

Thanks for all the help Brian... It worked.  The one thing I had to guess at was whether or not to put a check mark in the "Restore MBR" when restoring the "D" (data) drive.  After reading the manual on that subject it kind of sounded like you should check it for the drive with your OS on it but that you did not have to check it for your other drives.  Hope I guessed right.

Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2006 at 5:23am

Good news Mac. It’s nice when things go to plan.

Regarding "Restore MBR". Each image contains the same backup of the MBR. So after you have restored one image with MBR ticked you don’t need to do it again. If you tick it again it doesn’t matter. You are just over-writing the MBR with the same backup.

What are your plans with the 80 GB HD? You probably shouldn’t have it installed as a slave unless the OS partition is hidden or deleted.

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 10:50pm

Brain,  Sorry for the delayed responce but was away for a day.  Actually I left out some info. when I first posted my questions.  I had an 80 gig Master ("C" & "D") and a 120 gig Slave ("I & "J").  The 80 was acting like it was about to die so I wanted to "clone" it before it croaked.  I used the new 160 to replace the old 80.  I cleaned & reformatted the old 80 and put it into an old comp just to play around with.

PS:  I've been reading your experiments with Ghost 10 Drive Copy.  Very interesting and useful information.  I have Ghost 10 on my wife's comp. and the information may be very helpful one day.  Thanks for all the testing you are doing.

Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 2:22am

Mac, I've learnt a great deal from those tests. I'm sure Ghost 9 and 10 behave the same with Drive Copy. I still feel that restoring an image is more flexible than Copy Drive but that may be because I've always had an image available.

Dell are replacing my computer next week (long story) but I'll keep my HDs and put them in the new computer. I have several ideas about how to do this.

IP Logged

MacKenrick
Radmeister

Superfluous Redundancy

California, USA

Reply #11 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 9:43pm

Sounds interesting.  Looking forward to hearing about it.

Mac

MacKenrick

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print