Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points (Read 25530 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points
Reply #15 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 2:12am

Quote:
I thought this solved my problem but it didn't. Sad
My config:
Windows XP Pro, 80GB HDD, using about 37 GB
External HD: Seagate 300GB connected via USB 2.0
Ghost 10.0

Symptoms:
Could do a complete system backup, and could read individual files from it, but could not verify it successfully.

tw,

Could you try this as some people have problems with direct imaging to external HDs.

If your 80 GB HD is not partitioned then it's OK to write a high compression image (recovery point) of the C drive to the C drive. Tick verify in the setup to make sure the initial image is OK. Then using My Computer, cut and paste this file to the external HD. Now, double click the v2i file and click Verify in the Recovery Point Browser.

Success or failure?

IP Logged

tw
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 2:16pm

Thanks for the reply.
I did the test. The recovery point of C onto C was fine (verified automatically). Once copied to the external drive, however, it produced the same error as the others upon verification.
Also, since my last post I purchased Acronis True Image 9.0, hoping that would work, but I am having the same problem with it. Still waiting for their tech support reply.
Any ideas about what could be wrong?
BTW, I have Oracle installed on this laptop. Could that or any other software be an issue?  I don't typically use special utilities that are always running except my anti-spy (Spybot S&D) and virus (CA) software.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 2:58pm

Tw, here is a suggestion:  repeat the test recommended by Brian in Reply #15 (image C-drive onto C-drive, verify, copy to external drive, verify).  Next, delete the image stored on the C-drive, copy the image from the external hard disk back onto the C-drive, and verify.

Success or failure?

If "failure," then the contents of the .V2I files are somehow becoming corrupted during the transfer from/to the C-drive to/from the external hard disk drive.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #18 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 3:27pm

You're probably getting data corruption between your PC and your USB2 external drive.

Cheapest solution is to purchase a PCI USB2 card and plug the external drive into that.  The cost is about $15.

It's not uncommon for some PC's (especially older ones) to have i/o problems with USB2 devices, especially under heavy load.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 3:31pm

Pleo and Ghost4me, good suggestions.

Also, while you are creating the image, don't have your external HD connected to the computer.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/powerquest.nsf/docid/2005111019380362

In the Acronis group, your situation is described frequently and one of the suggested causes is bad RAM. Could you run an overnight test with Memtest86+.

http://www.memtest.org/

IP Logged

tw
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 12:20pm

Thanks everyone, for the feedback.

Could not run memtest last night because my OEM CD burning software would not create the image from the .iso file.

I did copy the .v2i file back to my internal boot drive and, indeed, it no longer verified.

I am suspicious of my USB hardware, but this is a Toshiba laptop (Satellite A75), about 2 years old, so buying a USB card is probably not going to be a solution (or is it?). I am still covered by an extended warranty, but I want to be sure what the problem is before I lose access to it for two weeks.

I will work on getting memtest working. In the meantime, any other suggestions?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 2:14pm

Quote:
I am suspicious of my USB hardware, but this is a Toshiba laptop (Satellite A75), about 2 years old, so buying a USB card is probably not going to be a solution (or is it?). I am still covered by an extended warranty, but I want to be sure what the problem is before I lose access to it for two weeks.

Since you still have an extended warranty with Toshiba, here are a couple suggestions:

1. First look on the Toshiba website for any updated BIOS software or other that relates specifically to your model.

2. Contact Toshiba with a short explanation concerning corrupted data transfer using USB2 ports on your PC.  Or look in their support forums for other USB issues.

I agree with you and still believe the problem is a USB interfaced firmware/software update issue.  There are PCCARD usb plug ins, but they are more expensive for a laptop and you are better off with more research first.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 2:30pm

Quote:
Could not run memtest last night because my OEM CD burning software would not create the image from the .iso file.

tw,

You can get Nero 6 from here.

ftp://ftp1.usw.nero.com/Nero-6.6.1.4_no_yt.exe

Fully functional for one month. To burn an .ISO is easy.

Start Nero. Close the central window. Recorder, burn image.

IP Logged

AKFloyd
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 4:02pm

This is my 1st posting on this forum. Hope this is the right place to mention this.!
Problem is Ghost 10.0 and a new external USB HDD. Made two attempts to backup my laptop..Both failed. Reformated the new USB HDD and tried again. Failed again. Was seriously considering a copy of Ghost 9.0. There are no updates for Ghost 10.0 available.
I found Sym's solution by searching support for EC8F17B7. The article contains the exact 3 err msgs I was experiencing. It blames "file system error's or bad sectors" and offered 2 recommendations: check the option "Ignore bad sectors during copy" in the backup wizard and disconnect all USB devices except for destination HDD.
Did both these on my laptop. Used only my touchpad for interaction and screen saver disable. It backup up successfully.
Next I reattached the usb hub containing a kybd, mouse, wireless adaptor, and an external zip drive. Repeated the backup WITHOUT USING ANY OF THE USB DEVICES. Left the HDD attached directly to computer. Successfull again.
I then repeated the backup a 3rd time using only my attached usb mouse to start the backup and keep my screen saver disabled. Successful again!
I must say that the problem seemed to be solved by enabling the option "Ignore bad sectors during copy" option. Hope so. Hope this may help someone else!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #24 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 4:24pm

Have you run a chkdsk c: /r to do a complete scan of your hard drive (presumably c:).  It will detect any bad sectors and flag them.

After that, try again with the ignore-bad-sectors Not checked for Ghost 10.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print