Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 lockups (Read 53053 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 10 lockups
Reply #30 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:33am

wreckwriter wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:27am:
I'm not going to risk messing with partitions, always a bit of risk there. If 10 can't deal with a perfectly legitimate partition scheme then I don't want it anyway. I just don't believe this is the issue as Ghost 9 didn't blink at it.

Windows 98 will not allow more than one active primary partition per drive, but that's no longer an issue with XP; it's just uncommon.

I agree with your logic.  I was only looking for unusual things in your disk/partition layouts.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #31 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:42am

It doesn't have a default drive but it does have a default directory it wants to create (Ghost 10 backups or similar).

I feel like this is a software conflict, just can't figure out what....

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #32 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 9:50am

wreckwriter

Quote:
E is where my backup lives,
F is page file.
Those 2 drives are on second disk. First disk is XP.

This may be another possible clue--your pagefile setup is *non-standard* from Windows default--if you are generating an error condition while using Ghost 10, and you have your system setup to *automatically* record that error state to a *memory dump file* (you probably did not set this up--it's a Windows *default*)--and your pagefile is not setup to receive that error log--maybe Windows is freezing because that log is getting lost in limbo.

This is a good discussion about WinXP's pagefile settings: 
Virtual Memory in Windows XP

To review your *automatic* error reporting settings, go here:  Right click *My Computer* and select *Properties*.  Go to the *Advanced* tab, select the *Settings* button under *Startup and Recovery*.

Down in the *System Failure* box is the *Write debugging information*.  I believe the default is *Small memory dump (64 KB)*, and there is a default path for where the dump file is saved to--that apparently is in the page file on you C:\ drive.

I personally have my pagefile manually set to another HDD partition, but I have set the *Write debugging information* to *(none)*.

And I also uncheck the box *Automatically restart* so if an error message is generated, Windows--rather than automatically re-booting (re-booting will fix most (80-90 % I've seen stated elsewear--so the default is to automatically re-boot--avoids many customer support service calls about errors!) error states, will display the error message so you can see possible clue(s) as to the problem--although these error messages are often uncomprehensible.

Just another thought on trouble shooting.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #33 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 10:02am

Wreckwriter, NightOwl's observation has considerable merit.  Another user on this forum previously reported difficulties with Ghost 10 when the pagefile was in a non-standard location.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #34 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 10:19am

I actually have 2, 1 GB on C:, 4 on F:. This corresponds with the referenced page where it says "If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small amount on C: ", except mine is larger than he recommends.

In the section "How big should the page file be?" he says that my sizing is based on a fallacy, 2 actually. Hmmmm.... You guys all trust that this guy knows his stuff?

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #35 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 10:40am

OK, have set my pagefile to be dynamic 100-4096, on C, and have set the dump to none and unchecked auto reboot.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #36 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 10:54am

wreckwriter

Quote:
You guys all trust that this guy knows his stuff?

Pretty knowledgeable guy--he supports his statements with what sounds like good reasoning.

At least for troubleshooting, you might want to let Windows manage the pagefile--see if it helps--otherwise, set it up using *best practice* based on that above link.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #37 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 10:58am

NightOwl wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 10:54am:
wreckwriter

Pretty knowledgeable guy--he supports his statements with what sounds like good reasoning.

At least for troubleshooting, you might want to let Windows manage the pagefile--see if it helps--otherwise, set it up using *best practice* based on that above link.

Well, its now "best practice". I think I'll try it this way first and see what happens.

Will be doing this:

setting all security stuff to not auto-start
uninstall Ghost 9
do a reg clean with JV16 to remove left-overs
reboot
install Ghost 10
pray Smiley

How's that sound?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #38 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:29am

wreckwriter

Quote:
How's that sound?

Like a *plan*!

I'm not a current Ghost 10 user, so you need to answer this question--in order to use Ghost 10, do you have to have Internet access and *register* (activate?) it before you can use the program?

If that's the case, you do not want to disable your firewall and antivirus until after you have activated Ghost 10, then unplug from the Internet, then deactivate the firewall and antivirus, then re-boot so those items are not loaded.

Now do your *testing*!  Don't reconnect to the Internet until you have re-activated your firewall and antivirus.  

Safety first!

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #39 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:34am

Same result, immediate hard lockup. I think I'm done with this software. I only wish there were a decent option so I could be done with Symantec completely. Acronis is even buggier than Ghost (9 that is).

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #40 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:39am

wreckwriter wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 10:58am:
Well, its now "best practice". I think I'll try it this way first and see what happens.
Will be doing this:
setting all security stuff to not auto-start
uninstall Ghost 9
do a reg clean with JV16 to remove left-overs
reboot
install Ghost 10
pray Smiley
How's that sound?

Additionally, AFTER you install Ghost 10, run LiveUpdate to see if there are any Ghost updates.  If so, apply them.  Then take the backup.

FYI, I haven't had my XP pagefile on c: in a long time.  Never had a problem.  Right now it's on d: and custom size of 1534 megabytes min and max (I have 1gb physical memory).  But leaving on c: is ok.

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #41 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:44am

Its nothing simple, it has to be a major conflict. i don't want it bad enough to keep screwing with it at this point. Its not worth 2 full days of my time and yours.

I really appreciate you guys' efforts.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #42 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:48am

wreckwriter wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:34am:
Same result, immediate hard lockup. I think I'm done with this software. I only wish there were a decent option so I could be done with Symantec completely. Acronis is even buggier than Ghost (9 that is).

Must be something unique about your hardware would be my final guess.  After all, it's a hardware lockup, not an XP error etc.

Don't blame you for wanting to give up though.  You could run chkdsk c: /r and chkdsk f: /r.  Actually, now that you don't have the paging file on f: anymore, you could delete/redefine the f: partition.

Also, Ghost 10 has that slider bar for performance, which you can slide back to slower.  Also did you choose normal compression? 

Everything still points back to hardware though or reaction under stress and heavy i/o.  If it were my PC (and I hadn't given up yet), I would shut down my PC, disconnect and reconnect the cables to both hard drives as one other long shot.

Sorry for your bad experiences.  Sad

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #43 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:52am

I really appreciate your time but this system has been rock solid for a long time now, I'm just not willing to screw with it for a program that's only going to give me a bit of extra functionality.

I tried the slider bar last night, no difference.

I'm reverting again and going for the refund. Thanks again!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #44 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:55am

Brian wrote on Jul 8th, 2006 at 10:17pm:
Ask for a refund. I don't think you have lost anything if it doesn't work. I prefer Ghost 9.

As Brian noted, Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 are very close in terms of capabilities and features.  You haven't lost hardly anything by just continuing with Ghost 9.

Were you taking "full independent backups" with Ghost 10?  The main difference with Ghost 10 is their Recovery Points, but for myself I just use the full independent backups.

Additionally Ghost 10 has more drivers included for newer motherboards, SATA drive, USB2 drivers, etc.  If you were hell-bent on solving this (don't blame you if you're not), you can open an incident with Symantec LiveChat and request a newer iso image of Ghost 10.  They will (after some haggling) give you a id/password that will let you download a newer version of Ghost 10.  Don't know why they don't include it on their Knowledge Base or website.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print