Ghost 10 lockups (Read 53056 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost 10 lockups
Reply #45 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:22pm

wreckwriter wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:34am:
"... I think I'm done with this software. I only wish there were a decent option so I could be done with Symantec completely..."

CLICK HERE to view a very useful technique employing components of Norton Ghost 10.0 in creating and restoring backups without being involved in "hot-imaging".

EP
Cry

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #46 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:27pm

El_Pescador wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:22pm:
CLICK HERE to view a very useful technique employing components of Norton Ghost 10.0 in creating and restoring backups without being involved in "hot-imaging".

EP
Cry

Thanks but I can't afford any new hardware and keeping Ghost 10 on my system seems counterproductive.

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #47 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:31pm

John. wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 11:55am:
As Brian noted, Ghost 9 and Ghost 10 are very close in terms of capabilities and features.  You haven't lost hardly anything by just continuing with Ghost 9.

Were you taking "full independent backups" with Ghost 10?  The main difference with Ghost 10 is their Recovery Points, but for myself I just use the full independent backups.

Additionally Ghost 10 has more drivers included for newer motherboards, SATA drive, USB2 drivers, etc.  If you were hell-bent on solving this (don't blame you if you're not), you can open an incident with Symantec LiveChat and request a newer iso image of Ghost 10.  They will (after some haggling) give you a id/password that will let you download a newer version of Ghost 10.  Don't know why they don't include it on their Knowledge Base or website.

what I wanted was the ability to do daily incremental backups  rather than having to do a complete drive image every time but while still retaining a disaster recovery capability.

At this point though I'll just continue doing the full image and will likely never again consider a Symantec product. The company has been going downhill for many years now and now that support is basically gone its no longer worth the risk. The worst thing that ever happened to backup software was when the bought out Powerquest.

Again, thanks for all the efforts!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #48 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:40pm

Wreckwriter, I doubt this will help, but Ghost 10 appears to be the last "Ghost" version by Symantec.  They have renamed it to "Norton Save and Restore", which is basically Ghost 11, and includes file/folder backups as well as image backups.

Agree with you about their (lack of) support.

Agree with you about buying out Powerquest.  I was a big fan of many versions (I may have had them all, I can't remember) of Drive Image.  Also PartitionMagic from Powerquest is/was still a great product.

Info on Norton Save & Restore:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11348...

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #49 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 1:20pm

wreckwriter wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:31pm:
what I wanted was the ability to do daily incremental backups  rather than having to do a complete drive image every time but while still retaining a disaster recovery capability.

I do this with Ghost 9.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #50 - Jul 9th, 2006 at 8:09pm

wreckwriter wrote on Jul 9th, 2006 at 12:27pm:
"... I can't afford any new hardware and keeping Ghost 10 on my system seems counterproductive..."

The only hardware required is an optical "burner" (CD-RW or DVD-RW) of some kind to generate the BartPE-XPE (reatogo edition) CD to permit the ghost32.exe element of Norton Ghost 8.2 to
function much like Norton Ghost 2003 but in the Windows Preinstalled Environment instead of being DOS-dependent
. You have the option of using partitions within your MASTER HDD, a SLAVE HDD or an external HDD; Norton Ghost 10.0 does not contain the additional Ghost 8.2 elements that allow routing images to optical media.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

wreckwriter
Gnarly

South Florida

Reply #51 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 10:05am

Well, I searched all over the place for better solutions. I ended up trying Paragon backup. It worked well in Windows but their disaster recovery cd had no drivers for my RAID controller so it was pretty much useless.

In the end I went back to Ghost 9 and am safely backed up again. I really appreciate all the help I got here. You guys are truly THE source for Ghost help.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print