Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Internet Security 2007 (Read 10815 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Norton Internet Security 2007
Aug 4th, 2006 at 12:16pm

Symantec has now made available a public beta of Norton Internet Security 2007.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Norton Internet Security 2007
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2006 at 11:32am

A review of the beta version of Norton Internet Security 2007 - including a slideshow of many screen images - may be found here.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 10:17am

Norton Internet Security 2007 is now available for purchase, as is Norton AntiVirus 2007.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 10:28am

See below for additional information on the 2007 versions of Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus (key points highlighted in
yellow
).

Quote:
CUPERTINO, Calif. – September 12, 2006 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the launch of Norton AntiVirus 2007 and Norton Internet Security 2007, industry leading security applications that have been enhanced in technology and performance to protect users from today’s evolving online threats. Norton AntiVirus 2007 is a proven and trusted solution that gives consumers advanced protection against viruses, spyware and related risks. Norton Internet Security 2007 is a powerful security suite that includes the antivirus and antispyware protection of Norton AntiVirus and safeguards against the latest online dangers by providing sophisticated new phishing protection, an enhanced firewall, and defense against software vulnerabilities. …

Part of the changing threat landscape is the fact that virus writers are rapidly creating variations of existing malicious code rather than developing entirely new threats. Norton AntiVirus 2007 addresses this growing trend by delivering potent new technology that blocks attacks from entire worm and virus families without requiring individual signatures for each new threat. Leveraging newly developed security technology that detects these virus and worm families,
Norton AntiVirus 2007 now provides proactive protection for users even before a new worm or virus is created and released
. Norton AntiVirus’ defenses are kept current with protection updates delivered daily.

In addition,
Norton AntiVirus has been strengthened so that it can find new types of viruses that use rootkits to hide themselves from security software
. This patent-pending technology detects camouflaged threats at all system levels, including the application, user mode, and kernel level.

Norton AntiVirus 2007 also incorporates enhanced scanning capabilities to ensure that high-risk spyware is detected and removed prior to installation. An improved and faster full system scan leverages foreground and background throttling modes giving users the option to move scanning to the background, requiring less processing power and letting them continue working on their computer without a major performance impact.

Norton Internet Security 2007 includes all the features found in Norton AntiVirus 2007 and enhances its award-winning detection, blocking, and removal tools with innovative transaction security technology that protects consumers against the latest online attacks.
The new phishing protection feature safeguards users from online identity theft by combining lists of known phishing Web sites with advanced heuristic technology to help safeguard users from visiting fraudulent Web pages. This sophisticated fraud detection technology allows users to enjoy zero-hour protection against known and unknown phishing sites
. As a result, users can always be protected—even when they are the first visitors to a fraudulent site. …

In internal performance tests both Norton AntiVirus 2007 and Norton Internet Security 2007 delivered significant performance enhancements in year-over-year product comparisons in the areas of memory usage, boot time, scan speed, user interface (UI) launch speed, and HTTP download speed
. …

Source:  http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20060912_02

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 11:53am

A single purchase of Norton Internet Security 2007 (USD$69.99 list price, USD$49.99 upgrade price) now includes licenses for three PCs.

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 6:17pm

Pleonasm,

I am getting the opinion that you are a Norton fan.  I changed over to  Zone Alarm a couple years ago.  What is your opinion of the relative strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks

thorin

thorin

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2006 at 7:46pm

Zone Alarm is a very easy to configure and safe firewall for beginners.  I had trouble getting to some of the advanced settings and ended up building a hardware firewall for better protection.

Norton Internet Security is a little more than just a firewall.  I wouldn't have any trouble trusting it to protect my computer, but it can be a little more confusing for beginners when it blocks an email or a cookie someone acutally wants.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 10:08am

Thorin, I have not used Zone Alarm myself, but it has a good reputation.

As MrMagoo noted, Norton Internet Security (NIS) has historically been one of the more complex products to use.  However, in looking at a few sample screen images of the 2007 version, it appears that Symantec has made progress in simplifying its use.

As also noted by MrMagoo, NIS includes not only a Firewall, but also several other key capabilities:
  • AntiVirus (signature-based and heuristic methods)
  • AntiSpyware
  • Rootkit Protection
  • Phishing Protection
  • Intrusion Prevention
Although I would be the last to say that Symantec is ‘perfect,’ they are – on balance – perhaps the best security firm around, in my opinion.  Unlike their competition, Symantec is able to leverage highly significant resources behind their products to make them more effective, such as:

Quote:
Global Intelligence Network – our global network of 150 million desktop antivirus sensors, 20,000 intrusion detection sensors, and two million decoy email boxes all configured to monitor and identify emerging vulnerabilities in 180 countries around the world.

Vulnerability Database – the world’s largest database of known vulnerabilities, currently with more than 14,000 listings.

LiveUpdate – the infrastructure we use to deliver security updates to home users and businesses around the world; this infrastructure delivers over 85 million LiveUpdate sessions per day, and more than 95 terabytes of data daily.
Source:  http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/blog/detail.jsp?blogid=rest_iceberg&prof...

In evaluating security solutions, it’s important to consider not only the product but also the company behind the product.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 10:50am

CompUSA is now selling Norton Internet Security 2007 for $20 ($70 list price less $20 upgrade rebate and $30 mail-in rebate).

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2006 at 4:41pm

If you have a Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2006 subscription, you can download and install the trialware version of NIS 2007 and activate it with your existing 2006 product key in order to upgrade to NIS 2007.  The number of days remaining on the Norton Internet Security subscription will be unchanged.
Quote:
In order to protect customers like you, we have changed our model so that customers with the 2006 and later versions of our software are entitled to product updates and upgrades as they become available. This is now covered in the cost of your subscription.
Source:  http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/blog/detail.jsp?blogid=nis2007beta&profi...

However, it may still be less expensive to purchase a copy of NIS 2007 rather than renew and extend the current subscription, especially if NIS 2007 is sold with both an upgrade as well as a manufacturer rebate promotion.

Also see Upgrading from NIS 2006 to 2007.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 12:13pm

Pleonasm wrote on Sep 15th, 2006 at 10:08am:
Although I would be the last to say that Symantec is ‘perfect,’ they are – on balance – perhaps the best security firm around, in my opinion.  

Security, Hypocrisy and the Kernel Patching Spat

McAfee and Symantec aren't trying to save you from kernel patch protection; they're trying to save their own business models.

Read more:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2024901,00.asp

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2006 at 12:25pm

Ghost4me, yes – that story is certainly making headlines and generating discussion on numerous forums.

My own perspective is that the actions of Microsoft in limiting access to the kernel of Windows Vista are proper – provided that Microsoft itself only uses the same APIs they are providing to other security companies (e.g., Symantec, McAfee).  If there is a “level playing field” for all security vendors (with no advantage to Microsoft’s products such as Windows Live OneCare because it authored the kernel), then Microsoft’s actions are to be applauded.  My understanding is that such is the case.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2006 at 1:05pm

I installed Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2007, and received this error after the installation was complete:  "Symantec Email Proxy:  A necessary component for this function is missing or damaged (1003,1)".

Symantec's advice was to run the Norton Removal Tool, and reinstall all Symantec applications (in chronological order).  I followed this procedure, and all is well.

The difficulty may be related to the presence of Norton SystemWorks 2006, as noted in this thread.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 11:07am

Your 'mileage may vary', but I have found that a full system scan with NIS 2007 is almost twice as fast as NIS 2006.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 5:34pm

The Norton Internet Security Add-on Pack is now available.

This pack provides AntiSpam, Parental Control, Confidential Information Blocking, and Ad Blocking capabilities.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print