Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dell XPS PC's include Ghost 10 (Read 4433 times)
John.
Übermensch

Dell XPS PC's include Ghost 10
Sep 3rd, 2006 at 6:25pm

Dell XPS high end pc's partner with Ghost 10 software.

I just ran across this while looking at the new Core 2 Duo processors on Dell PC's. Dell calls it Dell Data Safe and provides either a separate partition or separate RAID-like hard drive with Ghost 10 image and Ghost 10 software.

Dell Data Safe

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Dell XPS PC's include Ghost 10
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 12:50am

looks like they're using a dual hard drive system, config'ed for raid-1 (mirroring) along with a separate, dedicated partition on the primary drive for thew ghost 10 image file.

have to tip my hat to dell. surprised more manufacturers haven't went this route before. i mean, the technology has been there for years. and now that it's become so user-friendly .. should be man datory, like seatbelts on cars.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 10:42am

Rad, yes, Ghost 10 (or some other image backup solution) should be on every PC.

Ghost4me, Dell says, however, that it's a 90-day trial version only:  "90-day trial version of Norton Ghost 10 is included with most Dell Dimension & XPS PC’s."  I assume the user needs to pay a fee to continue to use Ghost 10 after the trial period has expired.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 11:18am

well, that's a different story. i'm sure dell gets a kick-back for including the trial software.

when i ordered a laptop for a friend, i tried to get dell to leave out all the trialware (e.g. aol), which i knew i didn't want.

they wouldn't do it. they told me i could UNinstall it, but that the laptop would come loaded with trialware.

altho, if the average joe computer user *must* get their computer with trialware, i think ghost is one of the better options.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 12:10pm

I think there's a good and bad side to this story:

I recently helped a customer with a new Dell laptop (not the XPS line).  On the laptop is a separate "recovery partition", much like Dell used to provide (using CTRL-F11 at boot if I remember correctly).  

This time it is still there but (the bad side) the option came up about installing/activating Ghost 10 to support it.  From that I concluded that to restore from their "recovery partition" you will need to purchase Ghost 10.  For me that is fine, but if I interpret this correctly, customers used to be able to recover at no cost, now there is a cost.

Also, I don't know about the Recovery CD, whether there is an iso image there to burn or not.

I was impressed that, at least for their top line technology using the XPS model pc's, Dell is providing a separate RAID-1 mirrored hard drive, and then Ghost 10 on top of that.   That's more creative than I have seen from any other off the shelf PC.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 1:58pm

Yeah, I was impressed, too.

I think Dell used to use their own variant of Ghost-based software (pre-Powerquest version).

But I've heard they've recently hit financially rocky times, and may be seeking ways to boost revenue. Just my own take on the recent change.

Perhaps they figure that folks who can afford the high-end systems can afford a Ghost 10 license (they can) .. especially if they need to restore an image.

I mean, if someone needs to restore an image, they're likely desperate .. and will gladly pay whatever is the asking price. (Wonder if they want the full retail price, or if they offer a discount.)

Plus I'm sure Symantec gives them a little incentive ($) for each trial shipped.

The bottom line is that (as we know) Ghost is a plus for users, no matter how it's packaged.

I wonder about the Recovery CD, too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print