Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newer HDD has no Ghost Disk ID ? (Read 11183 times)
newfilter
N00b

CA, USA

Newer HDD has no Ghost Disk ID ?
Aug 30th, 2006 at 9:14pm

You all helped me with a Ghost problem involving a new HDD a couple of months ago and I still have a residual issue. Since I have added a new HDD, whenever I use Ghost 2003 to image my system partition I get a message that says "DISK 3 has no Ghost Disk ID, if you want to use the drive with Ghost you must assign a Ghost ID" or something to that effect. How do I assign a Ghost Disk ID to a new drive? Everything works fine, and so far I don't plan on imaging that new disk, it is for storage, but you never know and of course the warning just bugs the heck out of me.
newfilter

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Newer HDD has no Ghost Disk ID ?
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 10:38pm

I believe you just click "okay" or something like that. Ghost does it for you, as long as you let it.

IP Logged

newfilter
N00b

CA, USA

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 4:23pm

I click ok but then the next time the app starts up the warning appears again??

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 8:32pm

never hear of that problem before. but i can see how it could get annoying. anything unique about your system/drive? any driver overlays?

IP Logged

newfilter
N00b

CA, USA

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 12:06am

Nothing unusual really, pretty "white bread" Athlon64 3400+, MB ASUS K8V SE DELUXE, TWIN 1024 (2-GIG) CORSAIR XMS PRO PC-3200C2 , VGA ATI|RADEON 9600XT 128M 8X , Sony DVD ROM DDU1613, Sony DVD-RW DWU18a, [3] MAXTOR SATA 200 GIG HDD, ANTEC 500W TRUE POWER PSU --WINXP HOME BUILD 2600.XPSP_SP2. No RAID array and I do not have any kind of DDO installed. I suppose I'll just live with this because I know if you don't have an answer there just might not be one !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 12:56am

2 gigs of fast memory .. must be sweet.

3 200-gigs drives, nice.

how did you patition & format the drives?

IP Logged

newfilter
N00b

CA, USA

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 9:58pm

The memory does really smooth things out, I can run as many apps as I want to at once, as long as it is not involving video encoding or something intensive like that. My boot disk has a partition with an image of the system as it was when it was put together, that is basically useless space now but I keep it. I have a system partition that I like to keep small, I alloted 20 gig because you know how operating systems grow and grow and a couple of things just don't seem to run right unless they are on the "C" drive. Right now I am only using a little more than half of the space. The remainder of that physical drive is for all of my applications. I have a second drive split in a few partitions for photographs and video. I store a fair amount of video because I have a couple of ReplayTV boxes on my network and I move large files on to my computer to re-encode or burn or just play with. My last drive is specifically for backup purposes, Ghost images and NTI backups of some of my applications, and files; a little overkill but heck you just can't be too prepared. I originally wanted to keep the last drive I added as an exact image of my boot drive but instead I decided to have faith in Ghost 2003 and NTI, this way I get more use/space from my drive. I formatted all of my drives with Maxtor's utility and partitioned with Partition Magic 8. Acutally this is the first time I have used Maxtor I always chose Western Digital but I started with one Maxtor and decided to keep the drives triplets even though I don't use RAID. (Not the latest on the market but not too shabby a rig for a "GIRL" huh?) And to think my first PC had 256K no HDD it used 5 inch floppies and I thought the "Wishbringer" text game was THE BOMB. Now I am laughing and dating myself at the same time. Anyhow, I love my computer(s), I haven't even wanted to buy a new one for a couple of years now and I think that is a record for me. Your forum is really one of my favorites and probably helped me to keep things running smoothly as much as any other site. I APPRECIATE YOU !!
Thanks - newfilter

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2006 at 10:19pm

Re: "
a little overkill but heck you just can't be too prepared
"

amen to that, brother .. er, I mean, sister.

sounds like you used partition magic to partition your drives. did you also use pm to format them?

i wonder if that's why ghost is having trouble id'ing one of them. think i recall something like this before, with drives that were partitioned & formatted with pm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print