Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble shooting WinXP Boot Failure (Read 12010 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Trouble shooting WinXP Boot Failure
Oct 8th, 2006 at 12:52am

To all

Error message when booting to WinXP Home:

Quote:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\Window\System32\Config\System

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

Select 'r" at the first screen to start repair.

Recently, I set up an *automated* backup using Ghost 2003 for a non-tech friend.  In the process, I ran into the above error that stopped me for a day while I had to trouble shoot the problem.

The setup involved installing a second HDD to the system.  I had not used the system, and it had not been hooked up since the last HDD had failed, had been taken into the computer shop, and a new replacement HDD installed and a fresh WinXP Home installed.

So, I installed the second HDD, hooked the system up, powered up--but booted with a *bootable CD with Ghost 2003* and DOS PartitionMagic.  

First step, partitioned the new second HDD with an extended partition and placed three logical partitions inside that extended partition using PartitionMagic.

Then created a baseline image of the first HDD to the third partition on the new HDD that is for Ghost images, and ran an integrity check--passed--no problems.

Third step, now resized the single partition on the original first HDD, then created an extended partition leaving about 300 MB unallocated at the end, and created one logical partition within that extended partition--again using PartitionMagic.  Then created a FAT32 primary partition (hidden) using the 300 MB unallocated space.

I was now ready to start completing my setup and attempted to boot to WinXP and got the error message quoted at the beginning!

Ok, so booted from the Windows Setup CD-ROM--saw the following screens:

Quote:
Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration...

Windows Setup (Blue Screen)

(In the bottom message area the following flashes on for 5-10 seconds)

"Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver..."

(
After the message disappears, Setup does not continue--freezes--eventually the CD stops spinning in the optical drive
.)

Just to rule out that PartitionMagic had not failed me
for the first time
--restored my baseline image of the first HDD reverting it back to its original single partition--same errors!

Tried the WinXP Home CD-ROM in another system--Windows Setup loaded fine--so CD is okay.

Tried one of my WinXP Pro Installation CD's on the baulking system--same errors.

Put another good optical drive in from one of my systems--same errors.

Win98se Boot Floppy disk boot fine!

My Ghost bootable CD boots fine!

Do other Bootable CD's work okay--put in Ghost 10's Recovery Disk CD which loads Windows PE (Pre-installation Environment):

Quote:
Not Enough Memory to Run

File \I386\System32\ntoskrnl.exe could not be loaded.  The error code is 16.

Setup can not continue.  Press any key to exit.

Say What!  
Not Enough Memory to Run

I had not paid much attention to the initial memory test during the initial post--now I did--it showed only 8 MB of RAM!

Pulled the RAM module out--it said 256 MB!

Plugged the RAM module back in--re-seating it firmly--now 256 MB shows in the initial RAM test during post--and WinXP boots fine!

From that initial error message from Windows--that's not the problem I was initially looking for!

And the fact that my DOS bootable CD worked fine and Ghost and PartitionMagic worked flawlessly!  But, then I thought--that's right, I originally used PartitionMagic in DOS back when my system had a single 4 MB RAM chip as the standard RAM size--the system could handle 3 more 4 MB RAM chips for a total of 16 MB's!

I never knew before that a 256 MB RAM chip that was not making good contact could still show 8 MB of RAM and function successfully--learn something new everyday about these machines  Wink !

And the initial error message is an example of how the error message may be misleading--and have nothing to do with the actual problem!  Obviously Microsoft has not included an *adequate amount of memory* check sub-routine in its boot sequence or Setup CD-ROM boot.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Re: Trouble shooting WinXP Boot Failure
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2006 at 11:48am

NightOwl,
   Great info, thanks for sharing. Yes it is amazing all the things that can cause problems. I have a main board (ECS K7S5Apro) that supports either SD or DDR ram. At first I was running SD which was working fine and later decided to upgrade to DDR. I tried three different sticks and none were recognized. I was able to return the board as defective... but upon installing the new one I found I had the same problem. Hmmm.... after a little research I removed the PCI modem (which wasn't being used any longer anyway) and hey, the DDR has worked ever since.

but booted with a *bootable CD with Ghost 2003* and DOS PartitionMagic.

How did you go about creating this CD may I ask? I have PM7 and haven't had much luck getting it to work from a boot CD.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2006 at 10:22am

How did you go about creating this CD may I ask? I have PM7 and haven't had much luck getting it to work from a boot CD.

Well I was able to follow this and get it to work:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/convert.html

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2006 at 9:08am

ckcc

Quote:

I have not forgotten your question--nor am I ignoring it--just need some free time to respond--busy week!  Hopefully by tomorrow!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2006 at 12:06pm

NightOwl,
  OK, thanks. No hurry anyway, was just curious.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2006 at 1:48am

ckcc,

You can add these files to a bootable USB thumb drive and Partition Magic will work.

pqmagic.exe
pqmagic.ovl
pqmagic.pqg
pqpb.rtc
pmhelp.dat
mouse.com

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/tools.htm

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 12:13am

ckcc

I used my
Guide
, but modified the boot files as noted below.  

If you have a floppy drive, you can simply create a boot floppy with the listed files below and the appropriate *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys* on the floppy and let the CD burning program read the files from the floppy--as opposed to using the
Guide
--this would avoid having to use WinImage to create the boot image file which is needed if you do not have a floppy drive.

I did not place the *ghost.exe* in the boot sector with the other boot files, but instead placed it in the sub-directory *Ghost* in the data portion of the CD that I burned.

I created a second sub-directory for the PartitionMagic DOS files that I labeled *Pqmagic*.  When I installed PartitionMagic in WinXP, the program created a sub-directory with this path:  * F:\Program Files\PowerQuest\PartitionMagic 8.0\
DOS
.  Before burning the bootable CD, I placed all the files in that *DOS* sub-directory of the PartitionMagic program sub-directory into the *Pqmagic* sub-directory to be burned to the data portion of the CD.  The DOS *exe* program for PartitionMagic is *pqmagic.exe*.  (Brian's post above lists the
required
files needed to run the DOS PartitionMagic program--I'm not sure what all the other files are for--but I just included all of them!)

I have PartitionMagic v8.x--but I suspect that version 7.x creates the same *DOS* sub-directory in its program file directory.

Because the *path* statement in *autoexec.bat* includes both the *Ghost* and *Pqmagic* sub-directories, I simply type *ghost* or *pqmagic* at the DOS A:\ prompt to load whichever program.

List of boot files:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
CONFIG.SYS
DI1000DD.SYS
EDIT.COM
HIMEM.SYS
IO.SYS
MOUSE.COM
MOUSE.INI
MSCDEX.EXE
MSDOS.SYS
OAKCDROM.SYS
Usbaspi.sys

[config.sys]

device=himem.sys
device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
device=di1000dd.sys
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
dos=high
lastdrive=z

[autoexe.bat]

path=a:\;x:\;x:\ghost;x:\pqmagic
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v

[mouse.ini]

[mouse]
MouseType=PS2

You can find the Panasonic DOS USB drivers (Usbaspi.sys) here:

v2.06
, size=37,903, dated 11/26/2002

v2.15
, size=39,093, dated 10/26/2003

v2.20
, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

After clicking on the downloaded *.exe* file which extracts the enclosed files, you will find the *Usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* subdirectory.

The *di1000dd.sys* file is also referred to at the *Motto Hairu USB Driver*, and can be found in this download from
Rad's download page
:  
usb-dos.zip

After you un-zip the above file, there will be another zipped file--*MHAIRUDO.ZIP*--after un-zipping this file--you will find the *di1000dd.sys* there.  (Warning--there is another *USBASPI.SYS* file in the same zipped file as the *di1000dd.sys*--but, that is not the one you want to use!--it's the version 1.xx and not the version 2.xx.)

If you have USB 2.0 HDD's attached, the Panasonic USB DOS drivers will mount and assign them drive letters--if you do not have any attached--then it simply says *no devices found*, or something to that effect--and the boot process moves on to the next step.

(Note:  the *mouse.com* used in the
Guide
does not need the *mouse.ini* file--I used the *mouse.com* that comes with the Ghost 2003 program on the above bootable CD, and it does require the *mouse.ini* to be included!  You just open Notepad, paste the two lines listed above for [mouse.ini], and simply save it as *mouse.ini* and add it to the other boot files.)

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 4:33am

Thanks NightOwl, for the detailed instructions.
I think I see where I was going wrong. I'll try again and see what happens. Not sure when though.

Brian, thanks also.
I have not explored bootable thumbdrives yet but is on my list of projects.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 5:23am

ckcc,

This is one way to do it.

Download this file.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp27001-27500/SP27213.exe

In Win XP, create a MS-DOS startup disk and then follow these instructions.

Quote:
1.Install SP27213.exe
2.Run the installed application
3.Select appropriate device, file system (FAT) and volume label
4.Check Create DOS Startup Disc and then click sub option of "Using Dos System Files Located at"
5.Select the floppy DOS System Files 
6.Click Start

Warning: This Process will format your USB Device

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 8:31am

Brian

Quick question--one's system has to be new enough so the BIOS supports booting from a USB device--is that correct?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 3:03pm

NightOwl wrote on Oct 16th, 2006 at 8:31am:
Quick question--one's system has to be new enough so the BIOS supports booting from a USB device--is that correct?

NightOwl,

That's certainly correct. Also, I gather not all USB thumb drives can be made bootable but I haven't worked out why this is so.

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #11 - Oct 16th, 2006 at 8:21pm

Thanks NightOwl...
  I got it working with your instructions. I knew I should have saved a lot of frustration and asked you to begin with. I had actually tried modifying my ghost CD I created from your guide but wasn't doing it just right.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print