Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ghost and windows boot menu for ghosting (Read 19068 times)
RickC
N00b

Manchester, UK

Manchester, UK

ghost and windows boot menu for ghosting
Oct 18th, 2006 at 5:35am

Hi everyone,
Hope you can help. I loan laptops out and I want them to have 2 partitions. One with the OS on and one with a ghost image of the OS on. Is it possible to create a start-up boot menu on the laptop using boot.ini to have two selections?
"1. Boot to windows"
"2. Restore pc"

When "2. Restore pc" is selected I want it to automatically go to ghost and reimage the first partition.

Is this possible? And how? I was thinking to copy a ghost boot cd to the 2nd partition and then some way automate the calling of the ghost file and remaging of the 1 st partition???

Cheers
Rick

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: ghost and windows boot menu for ghosting
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 9:35am

RickC

I think the answer is *Yes*--but have not actually done it--I can give you an outline of possibly how to do it--
but the devil will be in the details
.  Only Ghost that runs in DOS will be able to do this--has to run from a DOS command line, and Ghost 9.x and 10.x, and Norton Save and Restore do not have this option.

If you are starting from an existing install of Windows--I'm not sure how to add a multi-boot to an existing *boot.ini* file--I've seen reference to doing so--but have no experience.

If starting from a clean install, create a small (maybe 50 MB bigger than the size of the Ghost image file for the OS) DOS primary partition, FAT32, active with a partitioning tool--PartitionMagic would probably be best--but others work too.  Use an emergency boot disk for Win98se to boot to DOS and make that partition bootable with the command line at the A:\ prompt:  *sys.com c:\*

Now install WinXP (?) using that primary partition for the boot files, but tell the install program to place the OS on the second partition, which I think the WinXP installation program will create for you if you tell it to use the *unallocated* space that will be seen (or you could have already created the partition with PartitionMagic, or other tool--and just point the installation that direction).

Presumably, the installation program will have now created a *boot.ini* that give you the option to boot to the OS partition, or to the FAT32 partition.  Now you will have to create DOS *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* files on that FAT32 partition that boot DOS, load Ghost, and run a command line that tells Ghost what you want it to do *automatically* for you.  You will need to create the Ghost image of the OS partition and save it to that FAT32 partition, and then have Ghost restore it to that 2nd OS partition.

I'm not a fan of *automatic* Ghost procedures that an *uninformed* user can select to use (especially if it is a *restore* procedure that can overwrite and/or destroy something--creating a backup image file is much less worrisome as that will not destroy other data)--the above will give the laptop user the visible choice each boot to restore the image of the OS--and maybe that's what you want--but if there was any user information from previous use--all will be loss to that user unless other data backup arrangements have been made!

The other down side--the laptop user will be able to *see* that primary boot partition when using the OS--and could muck around and screw things up with that partition and/or your boot files or image file, so your setup could be made non-functional by the user!

Using a boot floppy or CD with partition tools to hide and unhide a primary partition that runs the Ghost program would probably be a better choice, rather than the *boot.ini* multi-boot option--if you want to keep a user from *seeing* the options--and being able to *play* with your setup!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 4:01pm

Rick, I think you will find this thread to be of value.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

RickC
N00b

Manchester, UK

Manchester, UK

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 2:29am

Yes i had done something similar yesterday but put DOS on the 2nd partiton doh!
Trying it the right way round now
Thanks for your ideas  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Cheers
Rick

IP Logged

RickC
N00b

Manchester, UK

Manchester, UK

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 4:55am

also anyone wishing to do this. Place this in your autoexec.bat on the dos partition
ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=C:\imagefile.gho,dst=1:2 -sure
and it will automate the ghosting to the 2nd partition if it finds it. where "c:\imagefile.gho" is the location of the ghost image and "dst=1:2" is the destination partiton for the image to go, in  this case it was disk 1 partion 2
The problem i am having now that when ghost 8 runs in dos its not seeing the partitions it wants to ghost the whole disk?
i checked using fdisk and dos can see them, but ghost cant?
any ideas?
thanks again
Rick

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 8:56am

RickC

Quote:
ghost.exe -clone,mode=
load
,src=C:\
imagefile.gho
,dst=1:2 -sure

For what you are attempting, I see two potential *syntax* issues:

1.  Your *load* command is telling Ghost to use the image to be restored to a *whole disk*, i.e. *Local > Disk > From Image*.  I think you need to use *pload* which is telling Ghost you are only restoring a partition on the HDD and not restoring the whole drive, i.e. *Local > Partition > From Image*.

2.  And, when using *pload*, even if your image only contains a single partition, proper syntax, according to Symantec, requires that you specify that single partition in the *src=* switch.  So like this *src=C\imagefile.gho
:1

Quoting from
Switches: Cloning

Quote:
NOTE: When the location of the image file is not a tape device,
the SRC parameter requires the partition number even when the source image file has only one partition
. That is, when the source image file contains more than one partition, use the partition number to specify which partition you want to write to the destination partition.
When the source image contains only one partition, use the numeral 1.

All disk images contain at least one partition. For instance, when a computer has two physical hard drives, one labeled C and the other labeled D and E, the first drive is one partition and the second drive has two partitions. Similarly, a disk image of the first hard drive, C, contains one partition.

So, try this:

ghost.exe -clone,mode=
pload
,src=C:\
imagefile.gho:1
,dst=1:2 -sure

Report back with the results of your efforts.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

belkira
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 4:12pm

RickC,

I am currently doing what you want.

I have 2 partitions. 1st partition is my ghost partition and the 2nd partition is the main OS.

I use menu's in config.sys and autoexec.bat to do the dirty work, and pqboot/pqboot32 to boot the correct partition.

See below:

Config.sys
Code:

[Menu]
MenuItem=create
MenuItem=restore
MenuDefault=restore,5

[create]
[restore]

[Common]
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20

DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1f0,14
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,15
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,10
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,12
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,11
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,10
rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,9

LASTDRIVE=Z

Autoexec.bat
Code:

@echo off

MSCDEX.EXE /D:banana /L:R

IF "%CONFIG%"=="create" GOTO create
IF "%CONFIG%"=="restore" GOTO restore

:create
cls
del image.gho
ghost -clone,mode=pcreate,src=1:2,dst=c:\image.gho -sure -quiet
GOTO end

:restore
cls
ghost -clone,mode=prestore,src=image.gho:1,dst=1:2 -sure -quiet
GOTO end

:end
pqboot /p:2

IP Logged

RickC
N00b

Manchester, UK

Manchester, UK

Reply #7 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 6:59am

thanks for your help peeps Smiley i think am getting there
if i run via ghost.exe create image file from partition 2 it goes all the way thorough, but if i run

ghost.exe -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:2,dst=F:\IMAGE.GHO -sure -quiet

then it stops and askes for new file half way through the image file creation, i click ok then at the end it asks for the first file? i click ok and it finishes. why does it doe this an not run all way through on its own?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Oct 24th, 2006 at 9:07am

RickC

Your issue description is a little vague--so I'm guessing--

When you say
*then it stops and askes for new file half way through the image file creation, i click ok then at the end it asks for the first file? i click ok and it finishes.*
--are you saying Ghost is asking you for the name and location to place the next spanned Ghost image file to? 

So your final image is a spanned two file image set?

Ghost's default behavior is to automatically span to additional image files, and to automatically name those additional files.  So, there must be something that's causing Ghost to stall with that step after creating the first file.

I'm guessing, but is the destination partition for the image file set small enough that the image file set just barely fits?  I know if Ghost 2003 thinks an image will not have enough room to save the Ghost image, there is a screen that warns of this and asks if you want to proceed anyway--saying to be prepared to re-direct Ghost to additional storage space (i.e. another HDD or partition) when needed.  Because you are using the *-sure*  and *-quiet* switches, that warning screen may be suppressed, but Ghost's default behavior may be altered because of the potential for the image file not fitting!?

You could try to remove the *-sure* and *-quiet* switches to see what happens when you run the command line to see if any warning screens occur.

Or, you could try adding the *-auto* switch to see if that solves the problem.  Quoting from the Ghost 8.x User Guide:

Quote:
-auto

Automatically names spanned image files during creation. Using this switch avoids the
user prompt that asks for confirmation of the next destination location for the remainder
of the image file that is being restored.

This switch is the default behavior for Symantec Ghost.

Report back with the results of your efforts.

IP Logged

RickC
N00b

Manchester, UK

Manchester, UK

Reply #9 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 8:40am

yes that worked thanks!! thank you all for all your advice.
I now have a self imaging laptop. If anyone wants to know how to do it heres how it works.
I created 4 partions on the disk
1. dos
2. winxp
3. mydocuments
4. image

i changed my documents to point at the 3rd partition so it can be wiped easliy when the laptops have been on loan to primary schools. This allows the laptops to be easily sent out to another with out the need to connect them to my ghost server. The 4th holds the ghost image. Here is the boot menu i constructed. each option is password protected in dos by using pw.exe to stop the kids messing with it when they are loaned out to primary schools. Pw.exe can be downloaded from here(http://www.ciac.org/ciac/ToolsDOSSystem.html#Pw.exe)

boot.ini

[color=Navy][boot loader]
timeout=4
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\ = "Restore Laptop"

config.sys

DEVICE=c:\net\protman.dos /I:\net
DEVICE=c:\net\dis_pkt.dos
DEVICE=c:\net\rtend.dos

[Menu]
MenuItem=create
MenuItem=restore
MenuItem=clearmydocuments
MenuItem=networkghost
MenuItem=exittodos
MenuDefault=restore,5

[create]
[restore]
[clearmydocuments]
[networkghost]
[exittodos]

LASTDRIVE = Z
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /P

autoexec.bat

IF "%CONFIG%"=="create" GOTO create
IF "%CONFIG%"=="restore" GOTO restore
IF "%CONFIG%"=="clearmydocuments" GOTO clearmydocuments
IF "%CONFIG%"=="exittodos" GOTO exittodos
IF "%CONFIG%"=="networkghost" GOTO networkghost

:create
PW C:\NET\DRIVER\GHOST\PW.PWD
cls
@echo off
prompt $p$g
c:\net\netbind.com
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading  Lapsafe re-image system...
del f:\IMAGE001.GHS
del f:\IMAGE.GHO
ghost.exe -clone,mode=pdump,src=1:2,dst=F:\IMAGE.GHO -auto
echo  Image creation complete Please reboot for windows...
pause
GOTO end

:restore
cls
@echo off
prompt $p$g
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading Lapsafe re-image system...
ghost.exe -clone,mode=pload,src=F:\IMAGE.GHO:1,dst=1:2 -sure
echo Restore of Windows xp complete; continue to clear my documents or reboot to test windows...
pause
GOTO clearmydocuments

:clearmydocuments
cls
del e:\*.*
echo Clear of my documents complete
pause
GOTO end

:networkghost
cls
@echo off
prompt $p$g
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading Lapsafe re-image system...
GHOST.EXE
GOTO end

:exittodos
cls
c:\

:end
cls

Then once the whole image including all partitions has been ghosted to the new laptop i log into windows and change the computer name (as all the laptops connect to a wireless access point with a printer connected to it), boot it back into dos and ghost the 2nd partition to the 4th by image to keep the setting for when it needs to be re-imaged.
thanks again for your help guys

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 9:44am

RickC

Very nice--thanks for sharing the final summary of your efforts!

I'm interested in the Networking aspect of your setup--do all your laptops have the same NIC chipset, and are your network command lines loading drivers specific to that NIC--or do you have to program each laptop with a specific set of DOS drivers for that laptop's NIC?

I have two systems with Linksys LNE10TX NIC cards--version 4 and version 5--I have tried to create DOS boot disks that are able to load their DOS drivers, but all my efforts have failed--when the driver is loading, shows the MAC address as all *zeros*--so the driver has failed to correctly communicate with the NIC card.

The Ghost Boot Wizard does not include the DOS drivers for those two NIC cards--I have tried to follow the instructions for *adding* them, but that effort has failed as well.

I suspect there is some aspect of DOS Networking that I do not understand, or I'm missing some piece to the puzzle!

When using *Peer-to-Peer* networking in DOS--can two systems hook up together through a router using local DOS network drivers--or does there have to be DOS network server involve?

That *password* protection in DOS is an interesting twist--but don't the students have access to that C:\ partition when booted to Windows?!  How are you avoiding their inquisitive minds?!

IP Logged

RickC
N00b

Manchester, UK

Manchester, UK

Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 5:13am

NightOwl

Thanks for your comments  Grin
Yes all the laptops do, what it is we loan lapsafes out to local primary schools.
which look like this
They each hold 40 laptops and when they come back they have to be re-imaged and it was a hassle to get them all out and connect them to our ghost server so hence the solution above. We have 2 other lapsafes which have different network cards in them but the same size hard drives. I ghosted them with the "self repair system" image. Naturally I got the blue screen of death! on windows boot up.
So did a repair from the windows xp cd. Got windows running then changed the driver for ghost in the dos partition and we had a new image!
Yeah had major problems with that card I found that if you put "0x60" in your autoexec.bat file after where it calls your network driver it works. It should look like this

@echo off
prompt $p$g
\net\LNE100TX.COM 0x60
MOUSE.COM
cd \ghost
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE

If that does not work let me know and I will .zip the disk up and upload it to my web server.

Yes they can connect directly to each other; I did this when I was trying to fix an Acer laptop for a member of staff. It would not ghost over the nework for some reson maybe due to their anoying recovery partition thats shite, just kept failing (did not want to recover the laptop by using this as it had had so many programs installed on the top of it from the factory spec). I got a another laptop  with all the programs the member of staff needed on it and connected from laptop 2 laptop, all that you need for this to work is a DHCP server (most home ADSL routers them built in now) and they can connect.

As for hiding the drives in windows, not that easy as they are FAT and not NTFS first I thought about removing the drive letters via disk management, but can¡¦t do that as it¡¦s a boot partition. So then I opted to do it via GPO (start > run > mmc.exe then add local users and groups)
The problem I had that the GPO setting (Under User Configuration > Administrative Template > Windows Components > Windows Explorer: Hide these specified drives in My Computer) was only allowing the following options
Restrict A and B drives only
Restrict C drive only
Restrict D drive only
Restrict A, B, and C drives only
Restrict A, B, C and D drives only
Restrict all drives
Do not restrict drives

The drives I need to hide are C: and F:  Yes we could cheat and change all the drive letters around! ha ha! But i did it by creating a custom GPO template.  I used this to do it with
http://www.petri.co.il/software/gpdrivesoptions.zip
it allows you to select what you want to hide and then creates a template for you
heres the how 2
http://www.petri.co.il/gpdrivesoptions.htm
Before you do this tho make sure you have another user on the system incase you need to access the drives, i have 'IT Admin' and 'Student' when you log on to windows. Make sure you only apply the GPO to the student user.

Now my next task is to try and ghost over wireless, any ideas? Got an Intel pro 3945ABG, the company who I bought the laptops off, Ergo computers (basically ASUS re-branded) are very interested in this idea. A good start would be to get dos drivers I guess.......

Cheers
Rick

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 9:29am

RickC

Oh, even more *excellent* information!

I always enjoy seeing not just the *mechanics* of how someone is making Ghost work--but the reasons and the real life application of those *mechanics*--thanks for sharing--very interesting.

That *group policy* for protecting your C:\ drive is also very clever!

Thanks for the information on the Linksys NIC DOS driver--looks like the *packet* driver vs the NDIS2 driver.  This is the load line I tried using (I think the *-a* parameter may be redundant as it is the default setting anyway):

\net\LNE100TX.COM -a 0x60

Quote:
If that does not work let me know and I will .zip the disk up and upload it to my web server.

If you're willing, I'm sure interested--I'd like to see a sample of what has been known to work for someone else to compare to what I've been trying!

I'm going to be out of town for the next week--so I won't be able to *play* with this until I get back--if you want to send me a Private Message (PM) through the forum with your server address (unless you want to make it *public*  Wink ), I'll check it out when I get back!

IP Logged

RickC
N00b

Manchester, UK

Manchester, UK

Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2006 at 3:07am

no problem a pleasure!
heres the working ghost disk, i uploded to my server.

http://www.dubhosting.com/radified/linksys.zip

Yes when i cant get an ndis2 driver to work i just get the packet and pop that switch in the autoexec.bat

let me know how you get on

cheers

Rick

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2006 at 8:51am

RickC

Your zip file contained a copy of *ghost.exe*.  Radified's policy regarding links to boot disks and other files is that the files should have any copyrighted commercial program files, that are not otherwise freely available, removed first.

I will be out of town in a couple hours--I'll report back if these files worked on my Linksys NIC's when I return!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print