Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 DOS graphic problems (Read 6012 times)
MrBison
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 2003 DOS graphic problems
Oct 25th, 2006 at 12:44am

Hello again,

I am having a rather annoying problem with Ghost 2003. When I run ghost via bootable CD-ROM, it loads, but the text and cursor are all gray blocks. Nothing is legible and I can't read anything. The computer I am trying to ghost has an NVidia Geforce MX 420 in it. I tried googling for a possible explanation, but have come up empty handed. If anyone has knowledge of this problem, please do reply.

Thank you all!

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Re: Ghost 2003 DOS graphic problems
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 1:51pm

try reseating the graphic card .
also see if you can get into Bios set up screen by tapping DELETE key or F2 key on power up???
check your Cd for scratches .

IP Logged

MrBison
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 7:05pm

I can access BIOS just fine. All text in DOS is fine. It's the text and cursor of Ghost itself that is unreadable.

How do I go about resetting the graphics card? If I had onboard video, I could test to see if it was an incompatible video card.

The CD is flawless and works on all of my other computers. Wonder if it is the cd-rom drive. I will have to try swapping out the drives.

Thanks for the suggestions.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 7:23pm

what about if you try a bootable floppy? do you have a floppy?

i've heard of this problem before. i think nightowl knows a solution. try searching the threads in this forum for similar terms.

"display" etc. "corrupted" maybe "graphics"

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 11:22am

Rad

Yes, there was a thread about someone having graphic problems when trying to load Ghost in DOS--I can't remember the *Subject* line--and I can't remember if we were able to resolve the problem.

I think it may have been a *mouse*/Ghost software compatibility issue--try loading Ghost without the mouse driver--or use a different mouse driver--or perhaps loading the DOS memory manager *himem.sys* helped--I'll try to find the thread.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 4:04pm

here is a floppy which might help if you got a floppy drive
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127&st=19

regards Ben

IP Logged

MrBison
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 2:06pm

I sort of resolved the problem, but I forgot to post my follow-up. When I say "sort of," what I really mean is that I simply used the boot files from the downloadable Ghost boot floppy on the site, modified some files using NightOwl's guide, created a bootable CD with ghost.exe in the data portion, and wham bam thank you ma'am, ghost loads just fine.

I do not know the exact problem. The files in the ghost booy floopy include himem.sys but it is not even loaded via the config.sys file. The only thing I can think of is that the file dates for IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS on the ghost boot floppy are newer than the ones in the boot98.exe file. Then again, could be a mouse driver problem.

Regardless, I got ghost to boot properly.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print