Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GHOST 9.0 RESTORE QUESTION (Read 9766 times)
xhellionx
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

GHOST 9.0 RESTORE QUESTION
Nov 1st, 2006 at 4:50pm

Hey guys/gals:

New to the forums so sorry for the rudimentary question.  I'll try to make this as short as possible but still include necessary details. 

I recently upgraded my computer with a new MB and Chip.  BEFORE I did so, I used Norton 9 to ghost the image of my hard drive (2 x 250MB WD drives in RAID).  The image was only about 40 gigs.  I put the image on a seperate IDE drive I had.  Everything is now installed in the new comp. including the 2 drives in RAID and the IDE drive seperate.  Windows is installed on the RAID drives.  SO...here's my issue.  When I run Ghost to try and restore my drive, it won't let me because I'm trying to restore the drive to C:/ which is the RAID drives where Windows is installed.  It basically stops and gives me an error stating I need to used the Symantec Recovery CD to complete the restore.  Fine...I'll do that.  When I boot off the Symantec CD, I go immediately into the "F6" mode so I can install the RAID drivers so GHOST will recognize that RAID drive (I figured I needed to do this because when I booted to the CD WITHOUT loading the RAID drivers, GHOST didn't even find the RAID drives...like they weren't even there.  GHOST instead showed my C:/ drive as the IDE drive I had seperate-which is actually by "F" drive when I'm in Windows).  Hope that's not too confusing.  In any case, when i DID try and load my RAID drivers off of a floppy, it gave me an error saying that the "nvraid.sys" file could not be found and it just restarted the comp. Kind of odd considering I used the SAME floppy right before that to load the drivers in Windows and it worked fine.  SO...after all this...can anyone help?  Basically, I can't restore the image in Windows since the drive I want to restore too is running Windows...and I can't restore through the SYMANTEC Recovery CD since it won't recognize the RAID drive I want to restore too.  PLEASE HELP!!!  Smiley

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: GHOST 9.0 RESTORE QUESTION
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 5:29pm

xhellionx,

As one needs to restore an OS partition from the Recovery Environment, you need a solution. Some members have reported a failure of Ghost 9 to work with their drivers but the Ghost 9 plugin in Reatogo XPE did work.

It’s worth trying if you can’t get a driver that works.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

IP Logged

xhellionx
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 6:43pm

Cool.  Thanks for the reply and I'll look into that.  Just seems a bit complicated though...and maybe that's just the route that needs to be taken.  i guess I was hoping for an easier solution as I cannot imagine that I'm the only one to run into this problem.  Thanks again though...

EDIT:

i did find this thread:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11605...

seems similar to my issue:  Ghost 9 not finding my RAID drivers.  Maybe this will help with a solution? I have AMD Athlon 4800 with Asus A8N-32 SLI MB.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:19pm

xhellionx,

Regarding that link. I doubt it will help you as your drivers don't work from a floppy. The same drivers would be used on your CD.

This may make it easier.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

25 minutes isn't bad.

IP Logged

xhellionx
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:23pm

25 mins isn't bad...NOT having the XP SP2 CD IS bad.   Tongue

i have XP Pro but its not with the Service Pack 1 or 2...I have to download those from Windows Update anytime I reinstall.  Will that put a damper on things?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:31pm

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:37pm

I'd use the AutoStreamer option and make yourself a WinXP SP2 CD. Useful for later installs as well.

IP Logged

xhellionx
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:42pm

okey dokey...i'm going to give it a go.  downloading autostreamer and SP2 now.

IP Logged

xhellionx
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 12:13pm

FYI.  nothing worked.  i read about 100 forums about this issue and it seems that GHOST 9 just cannot figure out RAID drivers.  so basically, i had to reinstall everything AGAIN.  i ended up making that WIN XP SP2 CD which helped a ton so i thankyou for that Brian.  once everything is running again, i may try the steps above again.  i went through it earlier fine but all it's doing is backing up my CURRENT drive...which is useless to me since i already had a v2i image i wanted to restore.  oh well...we learned that GHOST 9 is useless.  Smiley  

thanks for your help Brian...you tried...but it seems like this is just a Norton/Symantec issue and no forums had a fix for it unfortunately.  

The GOOD thing is, i still have the v2i image so at least i can restore some of my old files from that even thouhg i cannot do a full drive recovery.  THANKS!

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 12:29pm

Norton Ghost 9.0 supports RAID 0 and RAID 5, while Ghost 10.0 additionally supports RAID 1.

Does that help?

(See Symantec Knowledge Base - Document ID 2004024963607262)

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

xhellionx
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 12:50pm

nah.  despite what it says...if you try to install a v2i image onto a RAID 0 w/ GHOST 9, it wouldn't work.  when you boot into the SYMANTEC RECOVERY CD and hit F6 to install your RAID drivers, it just gives you a "cannot find nvraid.sys..." error and restarts.  if you try to boot from the SYMANTEC RECOVERY CD without installing the RAID drivers, it lets you in but the RAID drives do not show up so you can't recover the v2i image to them.  totally screws you.  MANY have had this problem and no one was able to get around it from what i can see.  it sucks because i HAVE the v2i image on a seperate IDE drive apart from the RAID...and i'm SO close to getting it recovered...but that RAID issue is a serious wall.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 1:15pm

Xhellionx, sometimes it helps - and sometimes not - but, have you tried to use the free LiveChat option to see what Symantec says about the problem?

Alternatively, if you are so motivated, you could try Symantec's Premium Support option for assistance.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 2:00pm

xhellionx,

That's disappointing. Using the ReatogoXPE CD, could you see your HDs? The Storage Pack drivers plugin does contain nvraid.sys.

If the answer is "No" then try copying all files from your floppy to this folder    :\REATOGO-240\drivers\SCSIAdapter

IP Logged

xhellionx
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 3:00pm

i guess i never got that far.  i was working with reatogo and following the steps but i got to a point where it looked like reatogo was just backing up my CURRENT drive and NOT allowing me to RECOVER my image.  maybe i'm just not illiterate enough in regards to this stuff to realize what was going on.  once i make the CD, how would i use it to recover my image on the IDE drive and install it to the RAID 0 drives?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2006 at 3:11pm

When you boot to the ReatogoXPE CD it looks just like WinXP. So double click My Computer and see if all of your HDs are visible. If they aren't then bad luck. Try both driver techniques before you give up. If you can see the RAID HDs then just run the Ghost 9 plugin.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print