Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Internet Explorer, FireFox,.... or both? (Read 5925 times)
MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Internet Explorer, FireFox,.... or both?
Oct 25th, 2006 at 1:22am

Right now I'm using both cos I'm not sure, but I noticed that FireFox can't view some things on the Microsoft Website....  interesting.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Internet Explorer, FireFox,.... or both?
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 1:50am

I voted "both" simply because IE and OE need the competition. Even with the competition of FF and TB (and others), the pace of development is slow.

I used FF and TB for a while but went back to IE and OE. The reason was that in TB, requesting a receipt for a message didn't work and under some circumstances a receipt is important.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 9:01am

MadtKrandle

What Christer said--also, seems that the internet websites have been optimized for IE and/or vise versa--and Firefox seems to have a number of programing mis-cues--see their forums.

I found that a common feature that I use on this forum, clicking on the YABBC tag toolbar buttons in the *Post reply* screen, causes Firefox to change the blinking cursor focus to the formatting *button* momentarily on the tool bar--so the YABBC tag is always appended to the end of the text in the reply box--and not where you want the formatting to show!

The forum for Firefox shows the same *bad* behavior and after posting my *bug* report--I was told it was not the first report--but, apparently it was not a priority to *fix* either!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 10:41am

Perhaps I am a bit slow.  I just don’t get why so many folk are so excited about “tabbed browsing.”  A small user interface improvement, yes; but it seems to me that it hardly different than having each browser window noted on the Windows XP taskbar.

Am I missing something here?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 6:07pm

Pleonasm wrote on Oct 25th, 2006 at 10:41am:

Have you tried it?

When you have a lot of windows open, your taskbar can get crowded.  With tabbed browsing, you only have one or two buttons on the taskbar, while each browser window can have several tabs open inside of it.  It feels much more integrated, makes switching between web pages easier, cleans up the taskbar, and allows browsers to include features to help you switch between and manage tabs (like bookmarking several tabs at once, which also allows you to open them all back up at once.)

I supposed for occasional web browsing it won't change your life much, but when you are digging for information on a topic and have several Wikipedia articles, Google pages, and other web pages open at once and you need to switch back and forth to comapre them, tabbed browsing is a life saver.  Its especially helpful for blogging.  I can write my blog, research information, and find links all in the same window.

As far as which browser to use, I agree that some web sites are optimized for IE, but I still don't use IE.  The hundreds of additional features and extra security of Firefox is well worth a few graphic glitches.  I'll never be confortable using a browser with 'features' like ActiveX.  Yes, Firefox has some programming issues, but so does every other single piece of software out there, including IE.  Besides, it's written by volunteers and distributed for free and gets better all the time.  I'm willing to cut them some slack.

It used to be that some sites only supported IE, but I haven't run into one in quite a while.  Even Flash is fully supported in Firefox, so I haven't to run into anything that doesn't work reasonably well in Firefox for a while now, even in Linux.

I hope that IE7 is a huge improvement over IE6 so that the people who prefer IE can enjoy simular security and features to Firefox, but that remains to be seen.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 6:15pm

Pleonasm wrote on Oct 25th, 2006 at 10:41am:

Yes.

Tabbed browsing is the MAJOR reason I changed over to Firefox. It's far more efficient that the IE6 way.

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 11:14pm

Wow you guys are on top as always-that's what I was looking for.  Leave it up for another day or two and let some other people get in (not open to guests... sorry, just looking for the veteran's opinion). 

I haven't visited the forums... FF seams to be faster in some respects, but glitchy in others.  Also note that microsoft has some weird rule on their site only allowing IE to view certain info....   just another reason for me, but strange nonetheless. 

I do appreciate tabbed browsing and the ability to incorporate your bookmarks from IE... other than that, I really don't know.  Kinda sucks having two browsers, but that seems to be the way the world is going, (two or three of everything... just to make sure).

Poll's even as it stands right now.  Hittin both.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #7 - Oct 25th, 2006 at 11:28pm

both, plus i also use mozilla & opera. they each have their strengths.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2006 at 2:29am

Opera rocks.  It is very fast and secure, and they devolp awesome features long before any other browser.  They had tabbed browsing before Firefox even existed, it was the first browser to support mouse gestures nativly, and Version 8 supports voice commands.  It is also coded to fix pages that otherwise wouldn't display correctly because they weren't written to standards (mostly because IE violates standards.) 

Unfortunatly, some sites (Banks, mostly) don't support Opera because of its small user base.  Opera also isn't very good at multimedia.  I could never get certian Flash sites to display correctly.  The ax fell on Opera for me when I realized that their Linux port doesn't perform very well.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print