HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copy my Hard Drive (Read 6300 times)
jwcooley
Ex Member

Copy my Hard Drive
Nov 18th, 2006 at 5:26pm

I want to replace the HD on my laptop. I put the new drive in a USB enclosure that became drive E:  I ran "Copy My Hard Drive" in Ghost 10 to copy the C: drive to the E: drive.  The options "Destination Partition Type" and "Drive Letter" were greyed out with an E in the drive letter box.  All seemed to go well but when I put the new drive in the laptop it had the letter E: instead of C:  and would therefore not work.  Why can I not set the drive letter?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Copy my Hard Drive
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 8:47pm

Quote:
"... I want to replace the HD on my laptop. I put the new drive in a USB enclosure..."

If I were in your situation and inclined to do a "one-shot-to-get-off-the-dime", I would use the installation CD for Norton Ghost 10.0 to simply boot from the CD itself (which readily allows one to boot into a Windows XP Preinstalled Environment) and immediately engage the legacy Norton Ghost Clone "cold-imaging" procedures by following the path
'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'
which has the side benefit of bypassing both USB mass-storage device and SATA HDD glitches frequently encountered with DOS-dependent Ghost 2003.  In essence, this procedure uses
restoreghost.exe
(an alternate name for
ghost32.exe
) to allow a "whole-disk-to-whole-disk" Ghost Clone.  Although the Destination HDD is in an external USB device, I would recommend disengaging it prior rebooting just as a matter of form.

Be advised this procedure is both incompatible with - and to a large extent unrelated to - the "hot-imaging" Ghost 9, Ghost 10.0, or Save & Restore products.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Copy my Hard Drive
Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2006 at 9:21pm

Quote:
I ran "Copy My Hard Drive" in Ghost 10 to copy the C: 

jwcooley,

This will correct the mistake most people make.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11482...

You must start with an empty "new" HD. Unallocated space on the new HD.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print