Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
xp to vista upgrade strategy with ghost (Read 6348 times)
Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

xp to vista upgrade strategy with ghost
Dec 11th, 2006 at 5:44am

I've thought of this strategy to upgrade from an xp machine to a vista system. First when buying the vista computer make sure to get a vista install disk along with the restore disk. Then make a ghost backup of your xp setup from the old computer. Next using the vista disk do an upgrade install over xp on the old computer. If something goes wrong restore the xp backup and start over. When you've got that working make a ghost backup of that called vista temp. Then format the new computer to get rid of all the crap that comes preinstalled. Now restore vista temp to the new computer. Then do a repair install with the vista disk on the new computer. If anything goes wrong restore vista temp and start over. When this is working make a ghost backup called vista permanent. You've now got three different ghost backups. After two months with everything on the new computer working delete vista temp. Based on your level of paranoia keep the xp backup and your old computer for the next 8 months to a year. If anything goes drastically wrong you can repeat this procedure from scratch. Then delete the xp backup and get rid of your old computer. This process is long, inelegant, convoluted, but it should work. If anyone has a better way to do this please let me know. Also I'm happy with xp and our current machines and have no plans to upgrade to vista for the foreseeable future. Any idea how long we'll be able to keep using xp? Hopefully it'll be for many years.  Smiley

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: xp to vista upgrade strategy with ghost
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 7:15am

I would create a backup image of each hard disk. Next, I would restore the image of the old (XP) HDD to the new HDD. Without even letting the cloned HDD in the new computer boot, I would let the computer boot from the Vista-CD and do the upgrade.

If that doesn't work, restore the initial image of the new HDD and try it "your" way.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 5:27am

No other thoughts on this subject ... Undecided ... not even from Larrycleve?

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 11:37am

I always prefer to clean-install new o/s'es. Normally you can do this with an "upgrade" disc by showing the system that you own a qualifying disc (such as Windows XP).

u might find this helpful:

http://windows.radified.com/

IP Logged

Larrycleve
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 9:19pm

I would definitely try Christer's strategy first since it eliminates a step. I agree a clean install is safest but then each program has to be reinstalled individually. Why bother with ghost? To me the beauty of ghost is that each program doesn't have to be reinstalled especially since I don't know where many of the install disks are anymore. I've never had trouble with upgrade installs nor with repair installs. I just put in a new motherboard, different from the previous, as well as a new processor keeping the old hard drive. I ran a repair install of xp and it booted to the desktop on the first try.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print