HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shutdown (Read 4376 times)
corrinti
Ex Member

shutdown
Dec 11th, 2006 at 5:29pm

I did not found the topic before, sorry if it was. For some time during 'ghosting' (v.2003) computer shuts down without completing the task. What I found is that ghost works with no compression (but it takes space), with 'fast' it goes to ca 50 - 70%, with 'high' only 20 - 30%. Any idea what is the reason? The only bigger change was uninstallation of Kaspersky.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: shutdown
Reply #1 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 10:46pm

Quote:
"... For some time during 'ghosting' (v.2003) computer shuts down without completing the task..."

Going on the assumption that you are attempting to perform either a Norton Ghost 2003 "disk-to-image" Backup or a "partition-to-image" Backup to a separate HDD, I have experienced similar difficulties when the Destination HDD was mounted in a USB 2.0 external enclosure kit.  The root of what I call a
"MIDSTREAM FREEZE"
is incompatibilities involving the USB 2.0 host controller and the USB 2.0
mass-storage device controller with its attendant bridge chipset.  Usually, adopting NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine resolves the problem but on rare occasion even that marvelous innovation fails when the file system format is FAT32.  Check the link below for more commentary on this altogether maddening issue:

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2006 at 10:53pm

corrinti

If Ghost works when no compression is being used, then it sounds like a timing and/or memory management issue:

1.  Could try adding *himem.sys* to the DOS boot files to see if that helps.

2.  Could try the *-sleep* switch which slows Ghost's operation down.  You start Ghost this way:  *ghost.exe -sleep*

You do not mention any system components--are you using SATA HDD's or USB external HDD's?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

corrinti
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 3:04pm

Some explanations from my side:
1. I use partition to image to write on another partition
2. disk is ATA
3. I performed that operation many times before with my notebook, succesfully
4. I tried to start from WinXPSP2, bootable CD, bootable pendrive with different  ghost.exe files receiving the same result
5. if it is timing, then why it do not work with no compression? It is the longest operation.
And thanks for your advices. I will try them and give feedback.

Has anyone unistalled Kaspersky 6 and tried ghost?

Corrinti

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print