Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Serendipity, or what!!! (Read 7098 times)
andycrofts
Ex Member

Serendipity, or what!!!
Dec 12th, 2006 at 12:37pm

Hiya, and greetings from Oulu, Finland, (where at the moment sunshine's a distant memory...Wink
Anyway, reason for writing this drivel is that over the last two days I've been struggling (polite way of putting it!) getting Bit Torrent to work.
I've made a Centros-powered webserver/firewall/gateway - just an old Compaq ES machine, and it feeds my IBM 600E, Kubuntu-powered. OK, that's the 'techy-bit' over and done with.
On getting home, I leapt into my other consuming passion, which is watching via finance.yahoo, SCO go down in flames...Such fun!
So, I'm reading the message boards, and a link to Magoo's writeup on migration to Linux/Ubuntu popped up. Read it, then started casually reading some more of your site. Interested to see how you're getting on with the little 'un (I'm in the same situation, but mine's 7) so I read further, till I almost fell of my chair - Magoo's got a Bittorrent walkthrough I can understand!
Gordon Bennett, it doesn't get much more 'lucky' than that!
Going to pub for celebratory beer, on my return I'll "hoist it up the flagpole and see who salutes it"!

Thanks, and regards to all.
(P.S, no polar bears walking the street. We say that just to frighten the tourists.
Well, not in December, anyway...Wink )
-Andy

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Serendipity, or what!!!
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 12:47pm

yeah, definitely serendipity.

magoo has several popular guides,including the one on BitTorrent:

http://guides.radified.com/magoo/guides/bittorrent/bittorrent_01.html

Any pictures from Finland? I never been.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 11:32am

Glad you liked the guide.  Is Centros working well for you?

IP Logged

andycrofts
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 3:27pm

Hi!
Centos working fine as a server, I run it in runlevel 5 (full 'desktop' mode), because it's quicker to use it, and X-forward the display to my 400MHz laptop, tha running Kubuntu on the lapotp native... Server's only 733MHz...cheap computing !
(Command from the laptop is X -query 192.168.0.1 :1 where 192... is my server IP. Gotta enable the server to allow it, but it's easy. I'll write it up soon.)

Re. Bittorrent, I think my ISP's throttling those ports (6881-9) 'cos even wide-opening f/w on the server, and running Azureus/rtorrent/bttorrentcurses on either machine gives very low bitrate - 1-2Kb/s and usually can get 1Mb/sec from my ISP. When I find the problem (prerouting, or change of ports?), againI'll write it up.

Yep, piccies from Finland next post!

-Cheers
-Andy

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 4:06pm

Centros is what the Rad server is running on, which is hosted by Lunarpages (downtown Los Angeles).

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 8:18pm

Quote:
Hi!
Centos working fine as a server

Ah, CentOS.  Different from Centros.  I love CentOS.  It has all the best of the famed Red Hat without the cost.  I run it on several servers.  Good luck troubleshooting your BitTorrent.  Let us know if we can answer any questions.

IP Logged

sumrica
Radmeister

Down around Biloxi, Miss.

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 12:44am

I don't use torrents often.  But, when I do, I like for my client to work.

Recently, I began having trouble with download speeds while using my ol' trusty BitTornado client.

Google-ing the issue, I became aware that my ISP may be throttling the torrent data and that maybe a torrent client that encrypts data would help.  With the Google page still up, I started looking for "torrent encrypted" and came across uTorrent.
http://www.utorrent.com/

I've used it for about a week and have to say I'm just delighted with what it does and I've overcome what might have been data throttling.  It doesn't use lots of system resources even when running two or three torrents.  Just love the GUI.  Everything is done within one window.  It is highly configurable and settings can be changed on the fly.  Their website's FAQ and Guide helped answer some questions and get me tweaked for max download speeds.

Something else.  When running uTorrent, I can see who's running encrypted and who is not.  LOTS of folks are running encrypted these days.

UPDATE:
 I was reading the uTorrent forums and found where in early December it was announced that BitTorrent bought uTorrent.  

Joe

http://www.facebook.com/joesumralliii?sk=info  
IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 1:17pm

Re: Quote:
Ah, CentOS.  Different from Centros

http://www.centos.org/

.. is what I meant.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 12:16am

uTorrent came out about a year ago, but quickly became popular due to its large feature set and small system resource usage.  Apparently, its very efficent code.  I've actually switched from endorsing BitTornado as the best client to uTorrent and added it to my wireless guide.  I can see from the search queries that hit my site that many people agree to uTorrent rocks.

As you mentioned, BitTorrent bought uTorrent a few weeks ago, leading me to believe it is going to become the official BitTorrent client.

I've blogged about uTorrent a few times on my home page:

http://www.magooswisewords.com/?p=164

IP Logged

MadtKrandle
Radmeister

Guess which one's the
Dummy.

Upstate NY

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 11:04pm

Yep, uTorrent.

I can't complain.  I've used quite a few.

I just scoured the whole freakin net and Google brought me back here!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print