Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does Ghost 9 have anthing to do with this problem? (Read 19412 times)
Help_Seeker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Does Ghost 9 have anthing to do with this prob
Reply #15 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 4:47am

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed reply.  It's evident from this and the AumHA forum, you've tried a lot.

Ghost4Me,
I have tried to be as methodical as I can, but there are so many different things at play here, and no error messages to give me direction.  In and of itself that isn't so bad, but it takes so darn long to test things different ways given that I need to boot from Seagate's floppy to do a low level format, then wait for CDs to boot, restore the partitions, boot from other CDs to run checks & diagnostics, not to mention booting to XP countless times to see if it worked.  It can take 2 to 3 hours or more to test just one new idea.

Quote:
I'm glad to see that XP was never booted with both disks in the PC at the same time; that can cause gradual corruption.

NightOwl and Mustang both gave excellent tips.  The reason I also mentioned removing the Promise IDE card was to eliminate it as a possibility.  You can probably change one of the Seagate jumpers to restrict the drive size to less than 137 gb if you want to test that.

As mentioned in my reply to NightOwl, I have tried the jumper but it didn't work.

Quote:
Just the fact that Promise card is seeing a newer technology hard drive, and especially one that is faster and has different timing for i/o to and from your motherboard to the drive, could explain that theory.  Wonder how cheap a newer 133 Promise card would be?  Probably not very costly.

True, not very costly.  But being on a fixed income I can't afford to start throwing money at this problem unless there's a very good indication it will pay off.

By the way, my old disk wasn't 40gb, it was 30gb.  I have a 40gb in my other machine and sometimes confuse the two.  What do you think about me getting a 40gb Seagate, would you switch brands as well?  The old one was a Maxtor, which I don't want, it went bad after only 14 months.

Quote:
Glad to see you have a good save Ghost image backup(s).  If/when you try again, I would avoid manipulating the partitions with Partition Magic until much later, like after it is working for several weeks.  You don't want to introduce another variable.

As an aside, what model HP printer do you have and what are you trying to print with it?  You should be able to get that to work under XP.

I agree with you about not wanting to introduce more variables.  The printer is an HP PSC380.  I can use it under XP, I just can't clean print heads or perform other maintenance that is run from the printer's software.  And as I said, HP has chosen not to supply XP software for that printer.

Quote:
Finally, I would be careful about trying an XP repair install on your 200gb system.  I haven't ever heard of anyone that has a d: system drive doing that.  I'm worried that the repair install may set xp back to c: which you don't want.  (I could be wrong on this point, but just be careful).

Thanks for your concern.  I already ran a XP repair install.  And though it failed to fix the problem, it did drop me off at the logon screen where I commenced letting XP detect the new hardware.  It didn't do anything to the partition structure as far as I can tell.  I've also run a repair install about a year ago, for a different problem, and it handled the partition structure without a problem.  If I'm not mistaken, you can choose to have XP set up your drives this way during installation.

Quote:
One thing to consider is that your newer Seagate contains an 8 mb or 16 mb buffer.  This is to improve throughput and response time.  I'm guessing that under heavier i/o loading is when the Promise card fails.  Maybe explains why it works for awhile.

The old one had a 2mb cache buffer, the new one is 8mb.  Both 7200rpm.

If the Promise card is what's failing, wouldn't it fail in Windows 98SE as well?  Especially since 48-bit addressing shouldn't be an issue in either OS now that the 32gb jumper was used.  W98 always works, even when XP craps out.  In fact, before I recently decided to start from scratch by performing a low level format each time, I was restoring just the D: partition to get XP running again.  I must have restored XP's partition that way nearly 2 dozen times and all the while W98 continued to work as if nothing ever happened.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 8:49am

Help_Seeker

Well, you may be *looking* at the actual problem but not *seeing* it--Mustang has said he had experience with this problem, and if I followed--it was a compatibility issue between the controller and HDD--the OS, per se, had nothing to do with the issue.

WinXP is constantly accessing the HDD while Win98 does not.  WinXP may be using access and I/O's that are different than how Win98 utilizes the HDD and its controller--which might explain why WinXP only has the problem.

As you have stated, the jumper only limits the HDD size, but it does not change the *nature* of the large HDD--the timings, etc. remain the same--so if the controller is the problem, as Mustang suggested--then you still have the variable that has remained constant--just as the problem has!

I doubt its a HDD *brand* problem as much as a HDD communication *standard* that is probably causing some sort of *glitch*. 

I understand you are trying to avoid spending more $, but unless you try a different HDD controller, and/or a different HDD with perhaps reduced operational specs, i.e. smaller size, smaller cache, and/or slower spindle speed,--you are not finding out if the root cause is what Mustang suggested.  Maybe you could get the newer controller card from a source that will let you return it if it proves not to solve the problem--i.e. is not compatible with your system!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #17 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 11:07am

If you want to try a different PCI IDE drive controller, then eBay is a good place to look for bargains.

Here's one Belkin example for $9.00.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Help_Seeker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 4:46pm

Quote:
WinXP is constantly accessing the HDD while Win98 does not.  WinXP may be using access and I/O's that are different than how Win98 utilizes the HDD and its controller--which might explain why WinXP only has the problem.

NightOwl,

Exactly, but with the same controller there was no problem with XP when it was used with the smaller 30gb disk.

Quote:
I understand you are trying to avoid spending more $, but unless you try a different HDD controller, and/or a different HDD with perhaps reduced operational specs, i.e. smaller size, smaller cache, and/or slower spindle speed,--you are not finding out if the root cause is what Mustang suggested.  Maybe you could get the newer controller card from a source that will let you return it if it proves not to solve the problem--i.e. is not compatible with your system!

Remember though, the root of the problem has to be the replacement disk.  My intention was to get the machine running reliably, not to upgrade to a larger (200gb) disk.  I purchased the 200gb only because is was less expensive than any of the smaller drives at the time I bought it, not because I needed 170gb of new disk space.  However, at that time I had no idea what I would be in for regarding large disk support.  In fact, I thought I had the needed support from the Promise Ultra100 or I wouldn't have purchased the disk.  But as it turned out the combination of the Promise Ultra100 and the 200gb does have problems; whereas the combination of the same controller with the 30gb disk didn't have problems.  That's why I say the 200gb disk is the root of the problem.  The controller would only be a problem if I needed the 170gb of extra disk space, but that isn't the case.

My intention right now is to replace the hard disk while keeping the specs as close as possible to the former hard disk.

proposed new disk - Seagate 40gb, 2mb cache, 7200rpm
former disk - Maxtor 30gb, 2mb cache, 7200rpm
problem disk - Seagate 200gb jumpered to 32gb, 8mb cache, 7200rpm

Quote:
As you have stated, the jumper only limits the HDD size, but it does not change the *nature* of the large HDD--the timings, etc. remain the same--so if the controller is the problem, as Mustang suggested--then you still have the variable that has remained constant--just as the problem has!

I see the controller being the issue with the 200gb disk for the same reasons you listed.  They are the ONLY THINGS that changed in the machine's configuration once the size of the disk (one variable) was eliminated with the jumper.  But I don't see the controller being an issue with a smaller drive, as long as the drive possesses, as you say, the *nature* of the small 30gb HDD I used to have in the machine.

Mustang suggested that I either replace the controller *or* the hard disk (with a smaller one).  I am approaching this from the hard disk side of his suggestion first, for several reasons.  1st, except for 10gb, the proposed disk's specs are virtually identical to the old drive.  That's practically zero variables.  2nd, although #1 should work, I still have the controller to turn to as a last resort.  3rd, I already have a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 in my other machine, but have issues with it when creating backup images with Ghost, issues=equal=variables and I don't want to introduce any more than I already have.

I also don't want to fiddle around with the controller inside my only working machine, because having the extra 178gb of disk space isn't important enough for me to risk the added aggravation of having both pc's down.  And since the highest likelihood for success is putting in a small disk just like the one that used to work, why bother futzing with the controller at all at this point in time.  Furthermore, the 200gb disk wouldn't go to waste gathering dust.  It could possibly be used in my other machine, the one that already has a Promise 133 TX2, but that's something for another day, first things first.  I hope you can see why I'm reluctant to work with the controller first.  That is, the aggravation and/or cost may never be necessary should the smaller drive pan out, and the large drive could still be put to use elsewhere.

For what it's worth, I was about to post here last month about the Ghost issue with the 133 TX2 but then I got sidetracked with the problem I have now.  Perhaps I'll start a new thread about that later, but in the meantime if you know of any good threads about "ultra" warnings appearing in XP's System Event Viewer, but ONLY while creating Ghost images from XP, I'd appreciate you pointing me to them.  I get 62 of those warnings every time I make backups with Ghost, that's the only time I see them.

Now please don't mistake that machine for the one I'm having the more serious problems with, I have NEVER had any Ultra warnings from the Ultra 100 controller.

Quote:
I doubt its a HDD *brand* problem as much as a HDD communication *standard* that is probably causing some sort of *glitch*.

I doubt it's a brand name issue too, but thought I'd ask.  Thanks for reinforcing my suspicions.  I think the proposed Seagate disk matches the old disk's specs well enough to give it a shot.  What do you think?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #19 - Dec 29th, 2006 at 6:52pm

Help_Seeker wrote on Dec 29th, 2006 at 4:46pm:
Exactly, but with the same controller there was no problem with XP when it was used with the smaller 30gb disk.

Remember though, the root of the problem has to be the replacement disk.  

I hope your proposed new disk solves the problem.  I'm not too optimistic, but always hopeful.

My main concern is that, as you probably know, disk drives have changed considerably over the last few years.  A 200 or 40 gb drive is not the same as a 30 gb drive from 5 years ago.  Even the same model might not perform with the same speed and timing. 

The simple reason is that the i/o modes (PIO) of disk drives have evolved, allowing faster speeds and interfaces.  That is why a given controller (like the Promise) can work differently or give erratic results with different drives.

Here's some gory details about different PIO modes.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesPIO-c.html

Motherboard bios's are supposed to detect the PIO mode of the drive and controller and you can manually set most motherboards if they don't.

All this adds up to reasons that a PC today and a hard drive today are just not interchangeable.  They are usually downward compatible, but not always.

Personally I don't think Windows 98 ever drove your hard drive to the level of activity that XP does.  No fault of either 98 or XP, but they are completely different.  That's why there are different drivers for each one.  Just because Promise works with the Windows 98 drivers, doesn't guarantee it will work with XP under all loading.

My approach would still be the $9 for the Belkin card, but I understand your hesitancy to do that.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Help_Seeker
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 1:11pm

Just a followup to let you all know the problem has been resolved.  It was not a hardware issue, nor was it entirely a Ghost issue.  However, Ghost did drop the ball when it came to restoring the MBR as well as the boot.ini file.

As it turned out, Ghost changed the ARC path in the boot.ini file on every restoration.  In my opinion, Ghost has no place doing that.  Restore a file, yes; but altering its content is simply not acceptable.  As well, Ghost did not restore the MBR in a manner that allowed Boot Magic to work as it had on the original disk.  While these are additional issues, they were not in and of themselves responsible for the looping progress bar problem.

At the end of the day, what ended up fixing the looping progress bar problem was a defragmentation of both the WXPBOOT partition (which contains XP's boot files), and the WXP partition (which contains XP's OS files).  The defrag operation was performed on the copied version of the partitions, not the partitions on the original disk.  On the original disk XP reported that none of the partitions needed to be defragmented.

These discoveries came about as a result of performing two copy operations from the original hard disk (not performing "restore" operations from backed up image files as had previously been done).  The first copy, using Ghost.  The second, using BING.  Details can be found in this page of my thread at AumHa forums.  Please page down to my post dated 1/4/07 where I continued troubleshooting since last posting here, and referenced this Radified forum thread.

The 200gb disk was put to use as a secondary removable hard disk used for storing backup image files, as well as image (picture) files, and sound files.  It is working fine with the Promise Ultra 100 controller.

I have since transitioned this machine from Ghost to BING, and am doing the same with my other machine.  Given the alarming revelation that Ghost altered the content of at least one restored file, and given the fact that Ghost fell flat on its face restoring the MBR (which by the way was created by another Symantec product, Partition Magic), I no longer have faith in Ghost nor Symantec.

While I have many other reasons to migrate from these two Symantec programs, particularly Ghost, economics is one I couldn't overlook.  With MS Vista looming on the horizon I would likely be looking forward to upgrading Ghost 9 in order to gain Vista support, that would be at least $50 paid to Symantec.  And given that I needed to upgrade to Partition Magic 8 to gain XP support, that's a second Symantec program I would likely have to upgrade as well... another $50.  I have never known Symantec to offer free major upgrades meant to support new MS OS's.  BootIt Next Generation (BING) can do for me what both of those programs do, and it costs only $35, and it's already Vista compatible.  But what I like most about it is that it's completely OS independent.  Unlike Ghost 9, backups can be performed by either running the backup program at boot time from the hard disk, or booting from a floppy disk.

I didn't buy Ghost because of its hot imaging capability, but rather had to contend with it for what I thought would be a clear and simple means to create and restore backup images.  I've never used my pc while imaging is in progress, I'm simply not in that much of a rush to risk compromising the integrity of my backups.  However, I can appreciate why others may have a need for such features.  But for me at least, Ghost's advanced imaging features seemed to unbearably complicate its ability to perform simple restorations.  Not to mention altering file content, and the apparent lack of support for a MBR created by another Symantec program.  In my opinion, Symantec's left hand (Ghost) should at least know what its right hand (Partition Magic/Boot Magic) is doing, especially when both programs are installed on the same computer but lack the handshaking necessary to have Ghost perform an uneventful restoration.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print