Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Save & Restore: Protection Center Icon (Read 3122 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Norton Save & Restore: Protection Center Icon
Jan 2nd, 2007 at 3:46pm

Here is an “annoyance” that I experienced recently:  With both Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2007 and Norton Save & Restore (NSR) installed, there are two Norton Protection Center icons in the System Tray.  The result is the same whether I install NSR before NIS, or NIS before NSR (with usage of the Norton Removal Tool to delete all traces of all Symantec applications before starting the installation sequence).

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any recommendations for ways to delete or suppress the duplicate Norton Protection Center icon in the System Tray?

Thank you for your assistance.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Norton Save & Restore: Protection Center I
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 1:19am

you mean the yellow globe-looking thing?

does right-clicking each one produce identical context menus?

is a separate service loading each icon?

perhaps you could disable one of the loading services, as long as you don't lose functionality.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 12:18am

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Norton Save & Restore: Protection Center I
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 4:11pm

Pleonasm, I worked this out myself then noticed Rad's link.

I installed NSR in my test WinXP. You can remove the tick from NSRTray.exe in msconfig and the Ghost icon disappears. Hiding the icon isn't sufficient as NSRTray.exe still runs .

In Services, disabling Norton Protection Center Service removes that icon too. Scheduled updates still run with both icons absent.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 12:24pm

Brian, to elaborate, the situation I am encountering is that Norton Save & Restore (NSR) isn’t integrating into the Norton Protection Center (NPC).  My understanding is that the NPC should be a unified access point for all installed Symantec products — i.e., a single place at which the status of all products is displayed and from which any of the products may be launched.  What I am experiencing, in contrast, is the occurrence of one NPC icon in the System Tray for Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2007 and another for NSR.  The NPC corresponding to NIS don’t have a tab for NSR, and correspondingly the NPC for NSR doesn’t recognize that NIS is installed.

“Integration with Norton Protection Center” and “Integration with Norton Internet Security” are features of NSR (but not Norton Ghost) that are explicitly cited by Symantec (see here), but which are not occurring in my case as anticipated.

The problem isn’t getting rid of the NSR icon (or, of the NPC icon for NSR) — rather, the problem is making NPC work properly across both NSR and NIS.

Additional ideas are most welcome!

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print