Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 and Windows Vista (Read 401060 times)
ghostusr
Dude

Need Instructions for Ghost 2003 Backup/Restore on Vista Ultimate - Please
Reply #90 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 12:52pm

I just bought a new Toshiba A205 Satellite running Vista Ultimate preloaded.  I would very much appreciate learning the proper steps and commands/switches for doing a full disk image Vista backup and restore using only Ghost 2003 Build 793.  (Yes, I know Vista Ultimate has its own image backup util but I haven't tried it yet, and I've read it doesn't compress when backing up to hard drives -- just only when backing up to DVDs.)

Apologies for the verbosity, but I felt it helpful to describe my context and concerns.  (Pleonasm here might be proud -- ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”)  Wink

Just an FYI, I've been using Ghost since 1996, so I'm not a newbie.  Here's what I've got and what I've done so far:

- Ghost 2003, Build 793 on a DOS Boot CD (also installed on a Win2K machine for making the boot discs)

- There are two partitions on the Vista notebook's 200GB SATA HD:  1) 1.5GB "unknown" partition (is this the Vista restore points, etc. partition???), and 2) the remaining space is an NTFS partition.

- Backed up Vista full drive image to external USB 2.0 hard drive using a DOS Ghost 2003 boot CD with the following switches:
GHOST.EXE -split=690 -cns -auto -z9   (so I can burn off to CDs or DVDs at my choice later to make space for newer backups)

- The Ghost image verification check completes successfully.

I have not risked RESTORING the Ghost images yet, because of several big concerns:

1.  Lots of posts here talking about MBR differences with Vista, and I don't want to trash what I've got, mainly for reason #2:

2.  A Microsoft rep gave me a complimentary version of the full non-expiring Office 2007 Professional suite as part of their Office rollout (about $400-$500 retail).  I was told it had to be activated by June 30th, and just made it.  Since my Toshiba Vista disc is only a restore disc without Office 2007, I don't want to lose that product activation and all of my days of work customizing and tweaking Vista, not to mention all the many programs I've installed and tweaked since.

3.  When I just tried to install the Windows portion of Ghost 2003 off the original CD, Vista popped up a window stating that there is a known incompatibility with this version of the software.  It could not offer a resolution.  So I did not install it yet.

As for #3, I'm making an educated guess that it may be the way that Ghost 2003 Windows interface wrote to the MBR to create the virtual partition to boot directly to Ghost without using a boot CD.  (I never liked that much anyway, didn't work well with drive overlays, etc., so I'm not planning to use it -- I'm an old trusty DOS user!)

In conclusion, I would like to learn several things if anyone knows the answer to them:

1.  Can I install the full Ghost 2003 (Windows install) on Vista without screwing anything up?  Has anyone done this???

(If nothing else, I'd like to have Ghost Explorer installed to be able to do selective file restores.)

2.  What are the steps to properly back up and restore a full disk Vista image with Ghost 2003 (in DOS)?

I love this forum, thanks.

GhostUser

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Re: Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 and Windows Vista
Reply #91 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 9:39am

I'm surprised that this thread has not generated a reply since July.

Ghost 2003, 793 will work on a Vista HD, but I think Ghost 8.3, 2005, build 1331 would be a better version for you.  It's size is such that it cannot be run from a bootable floppy, but then most people can't use a floppy any more anyway, unless its one of the external USB Floppies.  I have one of those and boy, do I ever find it useful !!!

I have ver 8.3 on a bootable CD and it works just great. 
You don't have to install the entire GUI into windows to have access to the Ghost Explorer.

In fact, installing the GUI in windows is totally Redundant as long as you have Ghost on a bootable media such as a CD, or flash drive.  I have it on a CD, a Flash Drive, and even a bootable SD memory card.  And, of course, I still have Ghost 2003 on a bootable floppy disk.
I guess you could say that my house is haunted......I have Ghosts all over the place.  Wink Grin Grin

Cheers Mate!
The Doctor  Cool

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

justanotherday
N00b

Reply #92 - Sep 18th, 2007 at 12:56am

I am on old ghost user myself. I hate the windows versions and have tried ver 12 and really don't like it. I believe a true snapshot of the OS should be taken while files being cloned are not it use.

I am using Vista on two machines now without floppy drives.

Can anyone tell me if I can use ghost 2003 to back up my new pc and laptop running vista with 2003? I have always used floppies. I couldn't boot from the original 2003 ghost disk so I assume I need to make a new bootable CD. Can anyone tell me how I'm going to do this with vista using ghost 2003.

Also has anyone restored images and can 100% tell me they will work?

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #93 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 7:34am

Just........

Boot into DOS from your Ghost 2003, 793, boot floppy and it
should
see your Vista NTFS partition the same as it would with any other version of windows.
EDIT:  I carry a USB Floppy Drive with me at all times, for those PC's that don't have a floppy drive installed.  It works just fine, to boot up a PC with my Ghost 2003, 793, boot floppy.

Using some program like Nero 6, that can convert a boot floppy to a boot CD will make you a CD to use, bypassing that NO FLOPPY problem with the newer computers.

As long as ghost can see your HD, when you run it, the Ghost Image should turn out just fine.

With so many different brands and models of PC's, and so many different Bios's in play, I have to couch every statement in "Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda".  Wink Grin Grin

One thing I can say for sure is "Try it!".  If it works, GREAT, if not, OH WELL ..... Sad

I mis-spoke lately saying that Ghost 8.3 was abandoned software. 
I was reminded that "IT IS NOT". 
So don't expect to find it on any "Abandonware" sites.
Sorry for the mis-information. Roll Eyes

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

SamSysney
Ex Member

Reply #94 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 10:36pm

Hi Guys

I have new Laptop ASUS-F3SV-AK136G - 200GBHDD - 2GB RAM and many plus plus blah..blah

I now want to create a GHOST image of my VISTA Ultimate.. (I do have a recovery disk and recovery image in a hidden partition but that does not give any option to increase number of partitions and I want to make atleast 4 partitions in my F3SV).

I used GHOST 2003 (Bootable DOS FLOPPY- Ghost.exe using usb floppy drive) and had no difficulties in creating an image of C:\ in partition2 i.e. D:\ successfully but do not want to try to restore it untill I am sure about it's success. I have read many forums and posts on the web that in fact confused me about it and even some one posted that he damaged the laptop (NOT F3SV) after using Ghost... not sure if that's logical and possible but I am a bit affraid to read that.

Wondering, if anyone of you has used Ghost to create your own images on F3SV and has any tips ? Please share your experiences and post maximum details to help all F3SV users.

There is another thing that I want to try i.e. to delete Partition2 D:\ and create 2 more partitions D:\ & E:\ in that space without disturbing the VistaOS C:\ Partition. If I do that, I feel ASUS recovery disk should still work since it has option to recover only First partition (that I havn't disturbed) and with the two new partitions I can then play around to try installing XP on it. Do you think this can damage the MBR or has done any damage to anyone ...

I have been using Ghost for 10 years but this time am not finding myself so confident due to Vista.... so please comment.

Thanks to all.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #95 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 4:41pm

Dummy me, I didn't know Asus made laptops. 
So much for being a small town boy!   Grin Grin Grin

If that were a desktop, I'd suggest using a spare HD for the trial restore,
until you're satisfied that your Ghost will do exactly what you need.

What I do and suggest for any Ghost backup user, is to do a "Check" of your image after doing the backup and before ever doing a Restore.  This will verify its integrity.
"Check" is right there in the Ghost menu.  It usually runs much faster than the backup did.

I always "Check" my Ghost backup Images because my next step is to do a Ghost Restore back to my HD, thus giving me a fabulous DEFRAG.  All files are re-written to the HD in perfect order, with NO spaces between files and NO fragmentation.

Good Luck with your project!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #96 - Sep 22nd, 2007 at 5:40pm

Quote:
I have been using Ghost for 10 years but this time am not finding myself so confident due to Vista.... so please comment.

Ghost 12 and Norton Save and Restore 2.0 are the only consumer backup image products by Symantec that are certified for Vista.  (Some of the enterprise products are also certified for Vista).

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #97 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 12:00pm

Ok, I'm dumb....what does "
Certified
" do for you?

I'd have to guess that they don't want you using the older programs that may still work ,,,,, they want you to spend more money and get their latest and greatest.
That's a typical Symantec strategy. Tongue

Honest to GOD, I'm still using Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8.3 (2005) run from a DOS boot disk and I'm backing up every OS from DOS to Vista.

And I'm doing it from a simple little DOS boot disk (floppy, CD or flash drive).
Heck, I've even got Ghost 8.3 on a bootable SD flash memory card. Wink

Forgive me if I seem abrupt....but I just hate those big companies trying to take advantage of folk's ignorance.

Good Luck and Happy Ghosting!

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #98 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 1:43pm

TheShadow

Quote:
Honest to GOD, I'm still using Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8.3 (2005) run from a DOS boot disk and I'm backing up every OS from DOS to Vista.

Okay--so have you restored those Vista backups?

What are you doing to adjust for the new Master Boot Region that is larger than the former MBR that Ghost 2003 is not *aware* of?  

Are you using the *bcdedit's* mentioned earlier in this thread?

I would be interested in your experiences and specific workarounds that have worked successfully with Vista backups and restores!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #99 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 3:35pm

TheShadow wrote on Sep 23rd, 2007 at 12:00pm:
Ok, I'm dumb....what does "
Certified
" do for you?
I'd have to guess that they don't want you using the older programs that may still work ,,,,, they want you to spend more money and get their latest and greatest.
That's a typical Symantec strategy.

This is what certified does for me.

I just tested restoring a Ghost 12 Vista backup onto a spare SATA harddrive that I was using on an XP pc (data volume not c: ).  

1. I deleted the partitions in XP, so it was empty.
2. I shutdown my Vista pc, and disconnected the 2 internal sata drives.
3. I connected my empty xp sata drive.
4. I booted from the Ghost 12 cd.
5. I selected "Restore my Computer".  Ghost 12 showed a menu of restore points (backup images) that I have stored on my external USB2 hard drive.
6,. I selected the latest c: Vista partition backup.
7. At this point I saw the options that Ghost 12 would use.  A couple things caught my attention:

* There was an option called "Restore original disk signature".  It seems that Symantec has fixed the problems with disk signatures.
* There was an option called "Restore Anywhere - not licensed" which was NOT checked.  I have no idea what this is, but must be a new feature coming in the future.  
* Restore MBR was NOT checked.  I suspect the reason for this is that my Vista c: backup is of ONLY the c: partition.  I have another partition on the physical hard drive.  I think if I had done a complete "Backup My Computer" backup with Ghost 12, it would restore everything.
* In fact, I couldn't modify any of the options.
[Edit:  I was using a ps2 keyboard connected to an add-in card on the Dell, so believe it is possible that the keyboard was not detected.  Will have to re-test that next time with usb keyboard.]
* Auto Validation was also checked.  That's a nice touch.

8. The restore took 11 minutes.
9. I exited Ghost 12 cd, and rebooted.
10. Vista started up normally (well it did give a message that it hadn't shut down properly and did I want safe mode or normal.  I selected normal)
11. Everything worked just fine in Vista from Ghost 12 restore.

Afterwards, I shut down and connected the restored Vista drive, back to the XP computer as a data drive ( d: ) and booted xp.

I started Partition Magic 8 to see if I could see what cylinder the partition was on.  PM8 immediately gave me an error message saying disk format was invalid!  (From that I would conclude that PM8 is NOT "vista certified").  

Conclusion:  I had expected to have to perform a Vista boot repair or edit the bcd because the "restore MBR" option was not checked.  I assume that Ghost 12 must have automatically written a MBR on the drive.  At any rate, Ghost 12 obviously understood the Vista drive layout during the restore.  That is what I would call "vista certified".

By the way, the sata drive had never been used as a boot device in XP, only as a secondary data volume.  And before I used the drive I checked with PM8 (under xp) and it said "First physical sector 63" for drive properties.  At this point, however I haven't been able to determine what/where the first physical sector is yet, because the xp utilities I have tried (PM8 and Partition Table Doctor) both complain that they don't understand the disk geometry.  I guess they aren't "vista certified" or "vista knowledgeable" yet.

My confidence of being able to restore my Vista Ghost 12 backup is good at this point.

(this post may not exactly belong in this thread, but I think it follows the lengthy discussion of what and how do you create/restore a Vista image.)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #100 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 5:15pm

Another interesting fact about the Ghost 12 restore:  The c: Vista partition (on a Dell pc) is the 3rd partition on the physical hard drive.  However, it restored this 3rd partition to the 1st partition position on the clean/blank SATA drive.  

The first partition is a Dell utility partition
The second partition is the Dell Recovery partition
The third partition is the Vista c: drive
The fourth partition is one I created by shrinking the c: partition, a d: data partition

In the past, it was necessary to edit boot.ini to "fix up" the boot process so it works.  Now Ghost 12 took care of everything automatically.

IP Logged

SamSysney
Ex Member

Reply #101 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 7:49pm

John. wrote on Sep 23rd, 2007 at 5:15pm:
Another interesting fact about the Ghost 12 restore:  The c: Vista partition (on a Dell pc) is the 3rd partition on the physical hard drive.  However, it restored this 3rd partition to the 1st partition position on the clean/blank SATA drive.  

The first partition is a Dell utility partition
The second partition is the Dell Recovery partition
The third partition is the Vista c: drive
The fourth partition is one I created by shrinking the c: partition, a d: data partition

In the past, it was necessary to edit boot.ini to "fix up" the boot process so it works.  Now Ghost 12 took care of everything automatically.

Hi

I am now trying Ghost 12 after reading these comments. BUT I am stuck after I boot the Ghost 12 CD. How do we create image of selected partition or whole disc like we do in simple floppy based GHOST 2003 or other versions.

Is it a must to install Ghost12 under Windows Vista or just it's bootable CD does the total job for simple imaging and restoring of partitions and discs.

To me a Clean image should be created when windows is not active and we do it through DOS like OLD GHOST method ...... but Ghost 12 is confusing so far...

....will appreciate if someone can post a step by step simple tutorial for Ghost 12 to create Vista images and restore with minimum possible installations (if possible) ...

Please Guys ......comment on this ASAP. I am badly Stuck...... with Ghost now.... on my ASUS Laptop ......

Sam

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #102 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 8:00pm

Quote:
Is it a must to install Ghost12 under Windows Vista or just it's bootable CD does the total job for simple imaging and restoring of partitions and discs.  

Yes, you must install Ghost 12.  (Ghost 9, 10, and 12 are all "hot" imaging products.)  You can't create a backup image from the emergency restore CD.

Quote:
will appreciate if someone can post a step by step simple tutorial for Ghost 12 to create Vista images and restore with minimum possible installations (if possible).

Look in the FAQ section:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176321672

Specifically, Rad has created a great detailed step by step guide.

Radified Guide to Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

justanotherday
N00b

Reply #103 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 9:45am

I purchased a desktop from HP preloaded with Vista. I also purchased Ghost 12. I decided to load XP until Vista has SP1 released.

1 - Made image of Vista using Ghost 12.
2 - Installed XP. Deleted partitions and reformated.
3 - XP needed motherboard drivers. HP didn't have them. Motherboard manufacture didn't list my model motherboard.
4 - Gave up and decided to restore my Vista image.
5 - Restore hit 99% done and then would give an error message ... can't quite remember what it was.
6 - Tried restoring other Vista images made (all had been previously verified) but some error message.
7 - Called Symantec. Cant restore Vista images over XP drive according to them. My guess it is because I changed partition sizes. Said I would have to manually load Vista from scratch and then do a restore of Vista image.

Bottom line I want to use a product that works and is competent like Ghost 2003. I loved that product but I will admit it was sssllllooooowwwww.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #104 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 12:00pm

justanotherday wrote on Sep 24th, 2007 at 9:45am:
7 - Called Symantec. Cant restore Vista images over XP drive according to them. My guess it is because I changed partition sizes. Said I would have to manually load Vista from scratch and then do a restore of Vista image.

I'm surprised to read that because that is essentially what I did:  I took a hard drive from XP and restored a Ghost 12 Vista backup onto it, all in 11 minutes without any problems.

If you had "wiped" the disk, then it would be like purchasing a new/blank/unformatted disk.  If what Symantec said was true (which I doubt) that surely should have worked.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Send Topic Print