Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disk "Marking" and cloning (Read 12629 times)
artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Disk "Marking" and cloning
Feb 2nd, 2007 at 11:56pm

I added a new HD tonight, and then used Dell's DSR to rebuild a Dell E510.  After taking off the trial ware and updating as necessary I installed NSW 2004 to have Ghost.

I had planned to Image to a USB HD (a task I'd already done once before a few days ago) and then test that new image by restoring it to the new HD and booting from it.  (Once finished with this I was going to set some data and photo partitions up and ship the system back to my sister knowing I had something I could to recover from if it became infected again.)

When Ghost rebooted into the virtual partition, it denoted that I had a new drive and needed me to provide KB input denoting that I wasn't violating the EULA.  I wasn't, but could not respond b/c I can't get a USB KB to work in the partition.  (We won't go there too much of my time has been wasted on that.)

Just how did Ghost know that there was a new HD?  The system had been wiped clean since it had been installed and used.  Ghost wasn’t installed until after the new HD was already up and running.  I uninstalled and reinstalled NSW but of course that made no difference.

My guess is that it must have something to do with "marking a drive", and I'm not sure what I can do right now.  The only backup I could get to run was a clone (vs Image) of disk 1 to disk 2, both with 3 partitions.  This ran fine as no KB input was necessary, but I was shocked to see that disk 2 is the disk seen as active by XP.

What must I do to have the system recognize disk 1 as the boot disk?  Once that is done, can I delete all the partitions on disk 2 and use it as I like?  If so, then is it marked now and would I be able to image disk 1 to it?

I can't just try this b/c if I wipe off disk 2 and disk 1 isn't bootable I think I'd find a tall cliff to jump off at this point.

I really admire those of you who can get Ghost to do what ever you want done.  I'm simply at its mercy and wouldn't even be that well off if not for this forum.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Disk "Marking" and cloning
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 1:15am

artesian79

Well...your post has me confused--Ghost usually does not work the way you have outlined--at least not on my system!

When I use the Windows interface for Ghost, and I set up a Ghost procedure, Ghost refuses to let me proceed until I allow it to *mark* any HDD that it has not previously seen--so I don't know how you ever got to the *virtual partition* if you did not already have all the HDD's *marked* first.

Secondly, when you set Ghost up in Windows, Ghost creates a *script* text file that has the needed DOS commands that tells Ghost what it is supposed to do once you get to the *virtual partition*--when Ghost uses a *script* file, it does not stop at the EULA screen and ask for input from the user, unless there is an *un-marked* HDD--but the above should prevent that!

So, exactly how do you have things setup--and what Ghost procedure are you using?

Quote:
but could not respond b/c I can't get a USB KB to work in the partition.  (We won't go there too much of my time has been wasted on that

What have you tried?  I have seen some folks indicate that if they used the USB *Peer-to-Peer* DOS drivers, that they would then have USB mouse function--not sure about USB keyboard function--when they created a floppy boot disk.

You probably need to disable *Legacy USB support* in the BIOS--if it's enabled and you load USB drivers as well, then the two may compete and crash the system.

When setting up the Windows procedure, when you get to the screen for setting *Advanced settings...*:

Click on the *User Files* tab, and add the files and the Config.sys command lines listed below:

Ghost's *Peer-to-Peer USB drivers* are found in this subdirectory:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common\OHCI.EXE & UHCI.exe--as I said, for some users they seem to offer USB mouse--and maybe keyboard--support in DOS.

I've never used USB mouse or keyboard--so you would have to test to see if that works!

I'd be interested to hear your results.

Quote:
The only backup I could get to run was a clone (vs Image) of disk 1 to disk 2, both with 3 partitions.  This ran fine as no KB input was necessary, but I was shocked to see that disk 2 is the disk seen as active by XP.

You said earlier in your post that you were using an external USB HDD to save the image to--does your system allow for booting from a USB HDD?  Do you not have to set that boot order in the BIOS--again--I'm confused as to how you have things set up and how you are doing things--I'm sure it's clear to you, but your post for someone not looking over your shoulder seems to be leaving out a *clear picture* of what you are doing.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 9:35am

Clear?  Oh yes it's all been clear as mud to me.  I've had some sleep now and I'll see what I can add....

I've tried all sorts of USB attempts after reading multiple threads here and elsewhere.  I added files to the user files area, but did not make any changes to config.sys.  My BIOS does not allow any changes to USB what so ever.  My KB and mouse work fine in Safe Mode so I can make changes in Boot order as necessary.  I've given up on USB for now as I need to get the system returned to my sister via UPS.

I certainly started all of this in Windows, but ended up in DOS with the EULA b/c I couldn't respond to the prompt.  How did Ghost even know there was a new drive b/c I rebuilt the entire system and Ghost wasn't added until just before wanting to make new images.  (It was as though Ghost remembered its previous installation (where the second HD didn't exist) that had been formatted over.  Since it was then that Ghost’s initial run shouldn’t they both have been new and assumed marked?)

Right now it is all a fuzzy memory so the system as it stands is:

Disk 1 is the Disk that I want to be the active boot drive.
Disk 2 is the cloned image of Disk 1 that is now active.

I'm assuming that the cloning operation "marked" Disk 2.   Will a format of Disk 2 leave it marked?  If so I'd be able (I hope) to image Disk 1 to a partition on Disk 2 and have that as my backup (vs CDs) in the event of more malware issues once the system is back to my sister.

If I can get the system set up this way and have time to try the USB #%^@ again I will, but I'll start a new thread or add to those that I've already posted.

Part of me just wants to disconnect Disk 2 and see if Disk 1 will boot.  I just don't know what could happen if that worked and then I reconnected Disk 2 so I'm fearful of going further. 

Thanks and hopefully this is a bit clearer.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:35am

artesian79

Quote:
hopefully this is a bit clearer

Well...yes and no!  When it comes to Ghost,
critical information
which changes how one looks at the issues you may be having with Ghost is a brief summary of the system--such as *desktop vs laptop*, *floppy drive available vs no floppy drive*, *SATA HDD's vs PATA (IDE) HDD's vs external USB HDD's*, HDD sizes, HDD partition layout, HDD positions on HDD controllers--mostly PATA (IDE) issue, i.e. primary controller or secondary controller, and slave vs master device on that controller.

Quote:
Clear?  Oh yes it's all been clear as mud to me.

Made me smile  Cheesy !

Quote:
My KB and mouse work fine in Safe Mode

*Safe Mode* is still *basic Windows*, so generic mouse and keyboard support is loaded in *Safe Mode*.

What you need to test, is if you boot to DOS, do you have mouse and keyboard functionality?  You need to have a bootable optical disc (if you don't have a floppy drive) that takes you to DOS--My Guide
Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive
is one solution.

If you pay a small access fee, you can download one from
BootDisk.com

Or, this DOS utility CD,
Ultimate Boot CD
, probably would work also.

You may have to load a *mouse* driver when you boot to DOS in order to have mouse functions in DOS--don't know about that for sure!  Keyboard--don't know if a driver is needed!?

Quote:
How did Ghost even know there was a new drive b/c I rebuilt the entire system and Ghost wasn't added until just before wanting to make new images.

Ghost writes a coded drive ID to absolute sector #62 of the boot track--a hidden area from standard disk functions--can be accessed with a disk hex editor.  If you set up a Ghost procedure in Windows, at least on my system, even if the procedure does not involve a new un-marked HDD, Ghost insists on marking all un-marked HDD's before it allows me to proceed from the initial setup screens!

Quote:
I'm assuming that the cloning operation "marked" Disk 2.

On my system, when using the Windows Ghost interface--there is no question about when Ghost *marks* the HDD's.  When you click *Next* in the setup process, you get a popup warning box indicating that Ghost has found one or more *un-marked* HDD's, and it asks permission to *mark* them.  If you do not allow the *marking*, Ghost refuses to proceed from that point in the process.  That step does not occur if Ghost as already seen and marked the HDD's previously!

Quote:
Will a format of Disk 2 leave it marked?

Yes--once the boot tract is written during the initial partitioning and formatting of a new HDD, future re-partitioning and formatting will alter the Master Partition Table--but the rest of boot tract is left untouched unless you use a utility that is specifically designed to alter the boot tract--so the Ghost marking in sector #62 is not effected.

Quote:
Right now it is all a fuzzy memory so the system as it stands is:

Disk 1 is the Disk that I want to be the active boot drive.
Disk 2 is the cloned image of Disk 1 that is now active.

This is where we need more *clarity*!

How are you making the determination that Disk 2 is the boot drive? 

I assume that Disk 1 was the original boot disk?

Has your boot order in the BIOS been changed?

When cloning, the recommended procedure is to set things up in Windows (typically disk 1 is master on the primary IDE controller--and disk 2 is slave on the primary IDE controller--or possibly slave on the secondary controller sharing with an optical drive that is master--but other combinations could occur), allow Ghost to re-boot to DOS, do the cloning--but, you want to stop the process of the DOS Ghost procedure at the point it closes down and begins the re-boot to Windows. 

(If you have a floppy drive--you can previously have put a blank floppy disk in the drive after you began the cloning in DOS--assuming the floppy drive is before the boot HDD in the BIOS boot order, you get an error now that a non-system disk was found, and the re-boot halts--you turn off the system, remove the floppy disk, remove the original HDD #1, and place the cloned HDD #2 in place of HDD #1 to test that the clone has been successful and HDD #2 boots successfully!)

If you do not have a floppy drive, then you have to be there watching, and as soon as you see Ghost close down, your screen probably blanks for a brief moment, and you then see your normal *POST* of the system as it starts up--you hit the off button.  And you then switch the HDD's as stated above to test your new cloned HDD.

In the past, there had been reports that if WinXP booted with two identical HDD's on the same system immediately after a cloning operation, corruption of the boot drive's registry could occurred--I have recently worked with a newer Compaq Presario that allowed one to select the boot device in the BIOS--and try as I may--I could not create a situation where the cloning process cause a problem--now the drive letters got messed up if I booted from the secondary HDD by changing the boot order in the BIOS--but that was expected because the position of the cloned HDD would change the order of how HDD partitions were first seen when the cloned HDD was booted for the first time and had to assign drive letters to the original HDD #1.

Quote:
Part of me just wants to disconnect Disk 2 and see if Disk 1 will boot.

I would try that!  The primary boot partition has to be set *active* in order for Windows to boot properly.

I'm still wondering how Disk 2 was set to *active* and how Disk 1 was set to *not active*--I'm having to guess that Ghost did that *behind your back*!?--but, the BIOS determines which device is the boot device--and I've never seen evidence that Ghost can change the BIOS settings of a system--so I'm unsure of how all that has come about!

Quote:
I just don't know what could happen if that worked and then I reconnected Disk 2 so I'm fearful of going further.

Once you have re-booted to the boot HDD without the cloned HDD being attached and Windows has established itself on the boot HDD--you can shut down the system, re-install the other HDD, and re-boot to Windows--and apparently there is no registry corruption now--Windows just assigns next available drive letters to the 2nd HDD--those drive letters are only *remembered* in the boot HDD's registry--it has no effect on the 2nd HDD's registry that is not active--so if you now shut down, remove the boot HDD and place the second HDD in place of the boot HDD--it should boot fine!

So, probably too much above to digest already--where are we at, what do we need to address next?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 1:25pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:35am:
"... (If you have a floppy drive--you can previously have put a blank floppy disk in the drive after you began the cloning in DOS--assuming the floppy drive is before the boot HDD in the BIOS boot order, you get an error now that a non-system disk was found, and the re-boot halts--you turn off the system, remove the floppy disk, remove the original HDD #1, and place the cloned HDD #2 in place of HDD #1 to test that the clone has been successful and HDD #2 boots successfully!)..."

IP Logged

artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 1:49pm

I'm out most of the day today but wanted to let you know I'll provide you answers when I'm working on this tonight - I  hope.

THANK YOU!

IP Logged

artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 9:51pm

NightOwl:

Are you really ready fo this?????

I hope to answer all of your questions below but will not use quotes as I think they will make it more difficult right now. 

As an update:

I can disconnect the cloned drive (Disk 2 from previous messages) and boot from Disk 1.  I do receive a boot message saying that the Disk 2 is missing do I want to F1 to continue or F2 for setup.  I used either with no change to the system actually booting.

When I reattach Disk 2 I can boot w/o the F1 / F2 message.

When Disk 2 is attached, Windows Disk Mgmt lists it as “(Active)”, and Disk 1 as “(System)” Without Disk 2 attached, Disk 1 is still “(System)”, and Disk 2 (to Windows) becomes the IO Magic USB drive.)

Since Windows lists the new HD as Disk 2 when it is attached, but my IO Magic as Disk 2 with the new HD isn’t attached, I’m going to begin calling them by their brand name so that you’ll know which one I’m referring to.

In regard to your request for clarification on several points:
==========================================

The system is a Dell E510 desktop running WIN XP MC.

It does not normally have a Floppy Drive, but I did end up inserting one as a temporary measure to help with the problems I was having.

The original SATA drive is a Seagate.  This is listed as Drive 0 SATA 0 in BIOS.  Windows calls this Disk 0.  My notes originally called it Disk or Drive 1.  I will now call this the Seagate.  It is 160 GB with 3 partitions (P1=DSR; P2=C:; p3=Dell Utility)

The newly installed SATA drive is a WD.  BIOS lists this as Drive 1 SATA 1.  My notes originally called this Drive 2.  When connected as the second SATA drive to the system, Windows call this Disk 1.  I will now call this the WD as when this is disconnected Windows moves a USB connected HD to “Disk 2”.  It is 160 GB with 3 partitions (P1=DSR; P2=C:; p3=Dell Utility)  This is the disk I cloned from the original Seagate.

The system has a Sony DVD listed in BIOS as Drive 2 PATA 0, PRI IDE Master.  Windows calls this CD ROM 0.  I will call it the Sony DVD.

The system has a TSS CDRW listed in BIOS as Drive 3 PATA 1, PRI IDE Slave.  Windows calls this CD ROM 1.  I will call it the TSS CDRW.

I have an IO Magic external HD that is usually attached to my LAN, but I have been using it as a USB attached device to this system in order to give me a location to dump things.  Having never tried a Ghost over the network I did not attempt this.  I’ve done them on other systems to the IO Magic as a USB drive in the past so I chose to continue with that method once I began having problems with getting to the point of writing CDs.  This drive is 300GB with 3 partitions and some unallocated space.  I will call it the IO Magic External Drive.  All 3 partitions, as well as those on the SATA drives above, are NTFS.  The partitions are Photos, Images/Backups, and Work.

I also have a small Jump drive that I connect to the front of the system when transferring something off my home system.

The current boot order is:  1. On Board or USB Floppy   2. Onboard or USB CD –Rom  3.  SATA HD  4.  USB Device

The only BIOS setting for USB is “On” for enabled; Off for disabled; No Boot for “controller enabled but BIOS will not recognize USB storage devices”.

Per the warnings I receive from Ghost the USB connections for the Mouse and Keyboard are USB 1.1.  Physically these are at the back of the tower.  I also connect the IO Magic HD in back and Ghost it, as well as the Jump drive that is sometimes connected to the front of the system as USB 2.0

I have gone to Intel to look up the chipset and found that it indeed does have some USB 1.1, and some USB 2.0.  I did not track down which physical connector was mapped to the corresponding controller.

My normal Keyboard and mouse are wireless and connect via USB.  When I first started working on this system I was unable to boot into anything other than XP as the KB was not recognized during the boot process.  After lots of other attempts and an hour in chat with Dell, I found out that the system requires a native direct connected KB and Mouse.  I attempted to use some PS2/USB connectors to connect my old PS2 KB and Mouse and true enough, I couldn’t get into Safe mode or the DSR then either as they both required a KB input (F8 or F11) during boot.

I bought a new USB KB and USB mouse.  The KB is a MS Digital Media Pro, and the Mouse is a WheelMouse Optical. 

It took some moving of them around to find the specific connectors that the KB and mouse will work at during boot.  Using those connectors with the new USB KB and Mouse I can enter any F keys I like during boot.  I can also use the KB just fine when I boot from an old Win98 System Boot (floppy) Disk (ie. DOS).  The Ghost virtual partition does not respond to the KB or mouse.

I’ve added the “class” and “sys” driver files for the KB and Mouse in the User Added Files.  These were the files I found in “Drivers” listed in each device’s Properties.  I also ended up adding the USB driver that I found on a thread here or elsewhere.  I cannot remember the name of it at this point.  I have never made any changes to Config.Sys.

I’ve also tired to see if using MS DOS would help with the USB problem.  I used a floppy that I’d used to make an image of a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop a little while ago.  (That system just hung the virtual partition with PC DOS, but was fine when I used MS DOS.)  When I attempt to use the same MS DOS with this system, however, Ghost tells me that the version of MS DOS is incompatible with Ghost.   The version of Ghost I was using on the 3000 was Ghost 2003 standalone whereas the one on this system is Ghost 2003 via NSWP2004.

As for other bootable CDs that I have, I have a bootable DSRfix and bootable Ultimate Boot CD that I’ve used in other systems now that I think about it.  I have not attempted their use in this system.  (I’ll go give those a shot after I post this note.)  I don’t know enough about what makes them bootable to know what to pull off, but if either works I’ll post their DIRs here and perhaps someone here will know.  This system does have a Roxio pkg that says it can create bootable CDs – as long as I tell it what to include, right?

Responses to your other points and questions

Thanks for the info about the drives and how they are marked.  The cloned WD is now marked and once we’re sure it’s safe I guess I’ll be able to format it in XP add some partitions and then Image the 3 partitions on the Seagate to a partition on the WD.  If all of you ignite a spark in my brain then maybe I’ll get a bootable set of CDs after all.

I made the determination that the WD was the boot disk as soon as the system rebooted after having finished the cloning operation.  I saw that XP showed the disk as being “Active” in Disk Mgmt.  I have verified this by adding a new user to the system, shutting down, disconnecting the WD and rebooting.  The new user doesn’t show up when booted from the Seagate.  When I reattach the WD and boot, the second user does show up.

I did not change BIOS.  Something about cloning made the change.  When I cloned the Seagate and WD they and all other device were in the locations denoted above.  They are in the same positions now.  I’ve included a screen print to help.

I don’t know if it’s just me or perhaps there is a difference in the capabilities of the drives, but the system does “feel” faster when booted from the WD – the one that is “active” vs. the Seagate listed as only “system” when the WD is not installed.  I may go run some speed tests to check that out.

Please note I have NOT changed the physical location of the WD and Seagate.  So I can boot from either the “real” or the “clone” without moving the WD into the Seagate’s position

What’s next?

I’m going to post this and while it is being reviewed try the following:

Run Performance Test with the system booted to the WD with it left on the current interface (ie BIOS SATA 1).  Do the same with the same with the system booted with only the Seagate attached and at its current location (ie. BIOS SATA 0).  This is just to see if there is really any speed difference.

I’ll then switch the interface cables run the tests and how those compare to those above.  I’m also going to watch what happens to the “active” notation is Disk Mgmnt.

What would I like help on?

I’d be ecstatic if I could send a set of bootable CDs home with this system.  Since my only choice of creating those seemed to be letting Ghost do that, I’d given up and decided to simply put an image on the WD and hope to be able to have enough of a stable system to use Ghost via the Windows interface if I ever needed to talk my sister through a restore.

If my having a couple of other bootable CD (that I need to test to see if I can use on this system), can help me build what I need for this system then I just need to know what files to pull off and what other files (for Ghost) need to be added.

If any of the USB KB “stuff” makes sense to you after reading through the above then please do explain.

I’m off to run the performance tests and the bootable CDs from my system to see if they will work with this system.  I’ll repost here once that is finished.

I’m open to any “Oh you idiot, you should have……” advice that you may have.  I’m a novice with Ghost and had no idea it could be so different between systems.

If I missed covering anything you wanted to know, just let me know.  I’ve included a couple of screen prints below to help.

IP Logged

artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:53pm

Part of the mystery is solved.  The reason for the difference I was sensing in speed was fragmentation and we all know that destination of the clone operation will have less fragmentation that the source.  So, back to pulling out drives and disconnecting interfaces….  My notes were wrong / I put the new userid on the drive opposite of what I'd intended.

So "active" must mean that the disk is bootable, and "system" means that the disk with system is the one that was booted from.  Do I feel like I just failed Kindergarten or what? Embarrassed

I guess this means ya just need to walk away sometimes.  That and don't split attention between "that computer" and others in the household.

I have the WD formatting partitions now.  Question - what is in the partition that is "EISA Configuration" and not removable via XP?  Is this where Ghost Marks the drive? 

I can boot from the DSRFIX boot disk and the Ultimate Boot CD and have a keyboard that works.  Why won't Ghost work?! 

Oh well, now what?  How do I use one of the above disks to help me make a set of boot CDs for this system?  I'm sure it should be clear but at this point not much is other than I need more sleep.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 12:06am

artesian79

Quote:
Are you really ready fo this

Yikes!!!!  I was not ready for this post!!!!  

Your post is the second this week with anomalous Ghost functioning from its Windows interface--as I note in my previous post--you should not be where you apparently are!!!

Let's see, hmmm ... this last week was leading up to the *full moon* last night--okay--I'm good!!!!  I can rationalize this (in a full moon sort of way  Cheesy )!

I will respond to a couple points first--will probably not get to most of them until tomorrow--have somewhere to be shortly--

Quote:
It does not normally have a Floppy Drive, but I did end up inserting one as a temporary measure to help with the problems I was having.

For $10-12, that's cheap insurance--I'd recommend keeping a floppy drive installed!  That is going to come in handy shortly, if my guess is correct!

Do you have PartitionMagic?

Quote:
The original SATA drive is a Seagate.  This is listed as Drive 0 SATA 0 in BIOS.  Windows calls this Disk 0.  My notes originally called it Disk or Drive 1.  I will now call this the Seagate.  It is 160 GB with 3 partitions (
P1=DSR; P2=C:; p3=Dell Utility
)

P1=Dell System Restore, P2=WinXP drive C:\, P3=Dell Utility partition--you may wish to review this information--cloning with these partitions present can create problems:  

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition*

Dan Goodell's *Inside the Dell Utility Partition*

Re: Ghost and PC Restore on Dell

Quote:
When Disk 2 is attached, Windows Disk Mgmt lists it as “(Active)”, and Disk 1 as “(System)” Without Disk 2 attached, Disk 1 is still “(System)”, and Disk 2 (to Windows) becomes the IO Magic USB drive.)

The partition on the cloned HDD should be active--because the source for that OS partition is also active--so Ghost transferred that status to the destination HDD--the OS partition on the source HDD that says *System*, is also by default *Active*--otherwise it could not be the *System* partition!

Quote:
I can disconnect the cloned drive (Disk 2 from previous messages) and boot from Disk 1.  I do receive a boot message saying that the Disk 2 is missing do I want to F1 to continue or F2 for setup.  I used either with no change to the system actually booting.

OK--that's good (except for the F1, F2 issue)!  If you enter setup (F2), does the HDD controller automatically detect that *Disk 2* is not present and reset the BIOS accordingly?  Or does the F1, F2 message keep reappearing on each re-boot?

Have to be off, I will return.......

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:59am

artesian79

I did not see your reply #7 until this morning--I was in the middle of composing my reply #8--so a few comments about reply #7:

Quote:
My notes were wrong / I put the new userid on the drive opposite of what I'd intended.

I'm not sure what this means!?

Quote:
So "active" must mean that the disk is bootable, and "system" means that the disk with system is the one that was booted from.

Quoting from WinXP's Disk Management Help files:

Quote:
The names commonly used for partitions containing the startup and operating system files are *system* and *boot* partitions, respectively.

The names are not what you would *intuitively* expect!  If you have placed the OS on a partition other than where the *boot files* (i.e. *startup files* above) are located--then the *boot partition* is where you have installed the Windows directory--and the *system partition* is where the *boot files* (boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM, ntldr, and others if you have dual booting for DOS based Windows OS's enabled) are located.

Quote:
I have the WD formatting partitions now.  Question - what is in the partition that is "EISA Configuration" and not removable via XP?  Is this where Ghost Marks the drive?

No, Ghost places its *marking* on sector #62 of the *boot track*.

(*boot track* is the first sectors 0 thru 62 of a HDD--these sectors are not *seen* by normal file managers in Windows or DOS.  Sector #0 has the Master Boot Record (MBR) and the Master Partition Table that tells the system how the HDD partitioning is laid out--sectors #1 thru #62 may or may not have additional data in them. 

Re-partitioning would cause the Master Partition Table to be updated, but the MBR and sectors 0 thru 62 are otherwise unaffected.   Re-formatting will not change the MBR, the Master Partition Table,  or sectors 0 thru 62.

A program has to be specifically designed to access the *boot tract*, and make any changes there.)

Quote:
I can boot from the DSRFIX boot disk and the Ultimate Boot CD and have a keyboard that works.  Why won't Ghost work?!

Good question--you probably do not know, but when you boot these optical discs--do you see the boot sequence--is there any evidence that *himem.sys* is being loaded as one of the initial boot files?

Do you have a Win98se boot floppy disk?  You can go to
BootDisk.com
, and get one here: 
Boot Disks
--I get the Win98se OEM version myself.

If you boot from that floppy disk--do you have your USB keyboard?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 1:38pm

artesian79

I noticed that in my last post I did not mention my best guess on:

Quote:
what is in the partition that is "EISA Configuration" and not removable via XP?

That's most likely one of the Dell partitions--either the *Restore* or *Utility*--I think if it's the first physical partition--then it's probably the *Restore*--if it's the 3rd partition, then it's probably the *Utility* partition.

IP Logged

artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 1:46pm

Update:

I was not able to get Ghost to image to the WD disk that had been "cloned to", then non MBR partitions removed with XP.  Ghost gave me errors about an Invalid Partition Offset.  I looked over the threads here where that was mentioned and decided the quickest route back was to use WD LifeGuard tools to add the disk as "an additional" disk to the system (vs. boot), and created 2 partitions leaving lots of extra unallocated space.

After doing this I tried to Ghost Image to the WD and when the note about a non marked disk came up I clicked OK to let Ghost mark the partitions.  (I must have clicked Continue the last time and ended up in the virtual partition with it asking about marking the partition.  This is just a guess.)

I've Imaged to the WD, and then *gulp* back to the Seagate after an integrity check.  The restore worked fine and I verified that the restore had taken place by checking for a file on the desktop that I put there just before making the image (and then removing before the restore).

Now Replies to your latest message:

Ignore the issue of which drive I booted from.  I was wrong.  I did indeed boot from the Seagate.

With both HDs attached I do not get the F1 to continue, F2 to Setup message.  With either not attached I get the message even after going in to Setup.  It became confusing to the point that I stuck a Post-It on the WD drive so I'd know where it was.  Even though the BISO Drive section calls the disks SATA 0 and SATA 1, the BIOS messages called them SATA 1 and SATA 2.  I may have been able to get rid on the message if I'd cleared NVRAM / CMOS in-between boots when I removed drives.  Striking F1 was easier at the time.

I do not have Partition Magic.

Regarding the DSR - Thank Goodness for those Goodell threads.  That's how I found Radified.com a while back and they helped me restore a Dell 3000 who needed a "DSRFIX".

I do have a Win98SE floppy and when I use it I can use my Keyboard.  Seems like everyone but Ghost is ok with the Keyboard.

In regard to himem.sys - I'll check when the current Imaging is complete.

Question about boot floppies/CD - is there something special about HOW the floppy/CD is written to/burned, or is it just the special files that "make it bootable"?

Thanks again.

IP Logged

artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 9:52pm

I can Image to and from the WD.

I set the trace running on the DSRFIX boot but did not see himem.sys load.  I'm not sure if this would have caught what you're looking for.  What do I do to find out?

I need to take the system to UPS tomorrow, but if you have any ideas that you think would be likely to enable me to create the CDs I'll give it one more shot before packing up the system.

Thanks and YEAH Colts!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 12:49am

artesian79

Well, it sounds like you are working through some of the issues--but it sounds like you will probably not have enough time to troubleshoot everything if tomorrow is the deadline!

Quote:
I do have a Win98SE floppy and when I use it I can use my Keyboard.  Seems like everyone but Ghost is ok with the Keyboard.

In regard to himem.sys - I'll check when the current Imaging is complete.

Okay, so your keyboard is present once you boot to DOS with the Win98se floppy boot disk.  That means the system is providing whatever is needed for the USB keyboard to be recognized without any additional intervention.

The Win98se boot floppy loads *himem.sys* as part of its boot files--it's a RAM memory manager for DOS--and I'm hoping that in DOS, Ghost is not *aware* of the memory usage by the system to give you USB keyboard support, and is trashing the keyboard driver in memory.

Here's the test--copy *ghost.exe* onto a separate floppy disk by itself (*ghost.exe* should be found here in a default installation:  C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\ghost.exe).  Boot using the Win98se boot floppy.  Once at the A:\ prompt, eject the Win98se boot floppy, and put the floppy with *ghost.exe* on it in the drive and type:  *ghost.exe* and then enter.

Does Ghost load successfully and do you have keyboard usage?  If *Yes*, then you need to add *himem.sys* to any attempts to boot to DOS to use Ghost and have keyboard function.

Quote:
Question about boot floppies/CD - is there something special about HOW the floppy/CD is written to/burned, or is it just the special files that "make it bootable"?

There is something *special about HOW the floppy/CD is written to/burned* for both bootable floppies and optical discs! 

For a floppy to be bootable, its Master Boot Record must point to the correct boot files for it to proceed.  You use a DOS command called *system* to create the needed coding on the floppy disk and for the transfer of the needed special boot files to the floppy--by the way--same is true for bootable HDD's as well!

For bootable optical discs, a hidden boot sector is created with the needed boot files on the optical media--a special *virtual A:\* drive is created during boot of a bootable optical disc that then loads the boot files as if the virtual A:\ drive was a floppy drive with the needed boot files on that virtual floppy disk.

If you use the Ghost Windows interface to set up saving an image of your system to optical media directly by Ghost, Ghost should automatically make your first optical disk bootable, and should be able to load your image from the booted optical media!

Potential problem--even if you use *User Files* in the *Advanced settings...* to add *himem.sys*--that memory manager will only be loaded for the *virtual partition* session--it will not be added to the bootable optical media--so unless you create a *custom* bootable optical disk--you will not have the needed keyboard support when you boot to DOS using the bootable optical disc.

Creating a *custom* bootable optical disc is very doable (
Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive
)--but, it will probably take more time than you have stated you have to finish troubleshooting the issues you still have with this particular system.

IP Logged

artesian79
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 3:54pm

Running Gost.exe after booting from a different system disk (floppy) allowed my Keyboard to work.

I hate not finishing a problem through to the end....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print