Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SATA burner & Ghost 2002/2003 (Read 7572 times)
rayking3
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

SATA burner & Ghost 2002/2003
Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:04pm

Can Ghost 2002 (or 2003) write images to SATA burners? Has anybody ever been able to do this? I have only used IDE burners in the past. I am close to getting everything working, but when I have to specify the destination for the image Ghost does not give me the option '@CD-R'.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Re: SATA burner & Ghost 2002/2003
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 3:40pm

found these switches - NOIDE      -FNI        on another site  board

I am sure if you do a search on this board you come up with the answer
Regards Ben

Smiley

IP Logged

rayking3
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 3:56pm

I have searched and I didn't find an answer. I also tried the switch and it made no difference. I was just curious if somebody had been able to write an image to a SATA burner. I get the feeling that Ghost 2002 is incapable of writing to SATA burners (only SCSI or IDE). Ghost can see the SATA HD no problem.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 4:10pm

sorry I am not one of the experts here here is some useful
information regarding SATA  drives and DOS:

GCDROM.SYS
http://www.postbox.wanadoo.co.uk/gcdrom.sys

the Microsoft Generic (OAKCDROM.SYS)DOS cdrom drivers for optical drives,
do not work with the New SATA CDROM/DVD rewiters (optical)drives.
there is a new driver called gcdrom.sys which works with both drives (ie IDE optical and SATA

optical drives) I have not tested it as my equipment is old.
to test it simply change the name to oakcdrom.sys and put it on windows 98 bootable floppy
either over writing the old OAKCDROM.sys or deleting it before hand to make space.
regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

rayking3
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 4:18pm

Thanks for the tip, but I also knew about gcdrom.sys. That succeeded in giving me CD-ROM drive access in DOS to read CD's (I also had to change a setting in the BIOS). My problem is writing CD's.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 9:04pm

rayking3

Quote:
but when I have to specify the destination for the image Ghost does not give me the option '@CD-R'.

That's the *key*--Ghost can only *write* to a burner optical drive if the optical drive is recognized by Ghost's internal built-in CD access drivers--and that's true only if Ghost ID's the optical drive with the *@CD-R* designation!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

rayking3
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 6:35am

I realize this. I am trying to figure out why this is the case. It seems that there are three possibilites. 1) I am failing to do something. 2) Ghost is not compatible with my particular burner. 3) Ghost cannot write to any SATA burner. Does anybody know if number three is true?!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 8:29am

rayking3

Quote:
2) Ghost is not compatible with my particular burner.

That's what I tried to say.  Ghost has to have built-in compatibility with a burner in order for it to show up as available for writing a Ghost image directly by your burner to optical media--there's nothing that you are *failing to do*!

Support of Ghost 2003 ended some time ago when there were few SATA based optical drives--so very few where included in Ghost's list of compatible drives!

Norton Ghost 2003 compatibility with CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD drives

Quote:
3) Ghost cannot write to any SATA burner. Does anybody know if number three is true?!

Looking at the list, I saw mostly IDE based drives, some SCSI, and a few USB--but no SATA!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 9:34am

NightOwl , thanks for that information ,
with XP partitions getting bigger and bigger CD and DVD is not a good option anyway the ghost 2003 as you know is bootable and got support for USB1.1 and usb 2 , so an external HDD  drive is the best option
especially the ones with IDE and DIY type which you can replace a drive in the empty case and connect it to a laptop or desk top.
HDD s are (IDE) are cheap now .
that is why manufacturerers are putitng recovery media on the hard disk partition now.
regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print