Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM (Read 12185 times)
jmrllc
Ex Member

Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM
Feb 12th, 2007 at 11:19pm

Hey guys

First time post but I have been visiting off and on for at least two years. Anyway, I have been successful with creating images for new Dell Optiplex 320s which just to fill you in if you don't know. They have SATA HD and CD-ROM drives. What I ended up doing was creating the bootable floppy by way of USB floppy, then coppied the bootable floppy to a CD so I didn't have to haul my USB floppy around to do images. That part worked OK.

Now what I am trying to do is to be able to restore my images from CDs which I copied the image to (6 cds).

I was able to copy the image to CDs because the image was originally dumped by Ghostcast. So at the time I didn't have to worry about the SATA CD-ROM issue since all I needed was to boot from by bootable CD and push the image from the server.

The main reason for the CDs are for a Vendor who sells us our Dell machines to be able to image these as they come in. They will be coming in one or two at a time otherwise I guess he should have the image on a server as well.

I have been able to boot from the SATA CD-ROM with my bootable CD. But when I try to restore the image from CD I can see it in the drop-down list as available. But when I try to start the operation it fails to be able to read or copy the file. Again I can see the CD drive available and even see the file name of the image but it fails to recognize it when it is selected to start the copy.

I know I rambled on, I hope you can make sense of my rambling.

BTW you guys have helped me out in the past and I would like to extend my thanks as late as it is.

Thanks in advance guys and keep up the good work!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 11:57pm

jmrllc

Quote:
I was able to copy the image to CDs because the image was originally dumped by Ghostcast. So at the time I didn't have to worry about the SATA CD-ROM issue since all I needed was to boot from by bootable CD and push the image from the server.

So, let me see if I follow--you have Corporate 7.5 Ghost, you have *dumped* the original image using Ghostcast--to a HDD?

And then burned the image files to a CD?

Quote:
But when I try to restore the image from CD I can see it in the drop-down list as available. But when I try to start the operation it fails to be able to read or copy the file. Again I can see the CD drive available and even see the file name of the image but it fails to recognize it when it is selected to start the copy.

This is where it is very helpful to *quote* the error message--but, I'm going to guess that Ghost says something to the effect that it's not a Ghost image file--is that correct?

If Ghost 7.5 behaves that way Ghost 2003 does (and they should--they're *kissing cousins* as far as versions go), when Ghost burns the image to optical media directly using its built-in drivers--it places some sort of *flag* on the image file saying Ghost created this file to optical media.  When you attempt to restore from that optical media, Ghost will use its built-in optical drivers to read that image and it looks for that *flag* and Ghost will proceed.

You know Ghost is using its built-in drivers if the optical drive is ID'd with @CD-R....* at the beginning of the drive.

But, if you have first saved the image file to a HDD, and later burn it to optical media--now Ghost, using it's built-in driver to access the optical drive, will refuse to recognize the Ghost file on the optical media!  (Don't ask why--I don't know!)

In this case, you have to load DOS drivers that mount the optical drive, and then assign drive letters to the mounted optical drive.  Now, when you point Ghost at those image files, Ghost will work with them without problems!

You will have to figure out what DOS driver works with your optical drive to mount the drive from *config.sys*, and then use *mscdex.exe* in *autoexec.bat* to assign a drive letter.

The standard IDE optical driver used in *config.sys* is *oakcdrom.sys*.  Do your SATA optical drives have information about using them in DOS--i.e. what drivers need to be used?

Did this help?  Let us know how things progress.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Re: Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2007 at 4:53pm

information regarding SATA  drives and DOS:

GCDROM.SYS
http://www.postbox.wanadoo.co.uk/gcdrom.sys

(Edited by NightOwl, 3/18/2009--above link is no longer working, you can Download *gcdrom.sys* here!)

the Microsoft Generic (OAKCDROM.SYS)DOS cdrom drivers for optical drives,
do not work with the New SATA CDROM/DVD rewiters (optical)drives.
there is a new driver called gcdrom.sys which works with both drives (ie IDE optical and SATA

optical drives) I have not tested it as my equipment is old.
to test it simply change the name to oakcdrom.sys and put it on windows 98 bootable floppy
either over writing the old OAKCDROM.sys or deleting it before hand to make space.
regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print