Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost lost my partition (Read 3514 times)
chrispl
Ex Member

Ghost lost my partition
Feb 19th, 2007 at 9:43pm

I tried to do a backup on Saturday with NG2K3 and after the computer was booted into NG the first time, NG got stuck at the blue screen.

I left the computer in that state for about an hour, figuring that perhaps it is performing a time intensive task. But NG apparently got stuck.

I rebooted and tried everything I found on the Symantec documentation website and on other websites I found but I was not able to get back into Windows.

When attempting to boot into Windows the computer just hangs after POST.

I hooked up another hard drive with windows and while Windows finds the partition that I'm trying to boot into it asks to format the partition.

I was able to recover all the critical files with Ontrack EasyRecover but I am not able to get the partition to boot.

I'm thinking of trying the FIXMBR utility in the Windows CD Recovery Console but the last time I did this I completely lost the partition, or at least was not able to connect to it in any way.

Is there anything else I can do to get this partition to boot?

Thanks in advance for any help,
chris

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost lost my partition
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 12:01am

chrispl

We prefer Ghost 2003 issues to be in the *General* forum and not the Ghost 9/10/Save & Restore forum.

You appear to be trapped in Ghost 2003's *virtual partition*--see if these references help:

How to use GhReboot

Cannot start Windows after starting a Ghost 2003 task from Windows

How to restart the computer into Windows if a problem is encountered after running Ghost 2003

If the *automated GhReboot* does not work, check this thread on how to use the Symantec Ghost DOS command line partitioning program, *gdisk*, as to how to manually change the active partition back to your original partition:

Ghost 2003 -operating system not found

If you have the DOS PartitionMagic boot disks, or know how to use other DOS based partitioning tools (example--
MBRWizard - The MBR utility you've been looking for!
)--they will work also.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

chrispl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 1:02am

Thank you!!

chris

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 8:57am

chrispl

Were you able to recover?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print