Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One last question about boot CD for Ghost? (Read 8159 times)
MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

One last question about boot CD for Ghost?
Feb 21st, 2007 at 1:05pm

Hi Guys

I am making progress; I reinstalled Windows and have been contacted by the tech at Symanted who make custom .iso files.

Now the system information is working I have the .nfo file made, and I know where to get the Nvidia network controller drivers.

He also wants me to send my "Storage Controller Drivers".
Where would I find them and what would they be called.  Storage controller drivers are something I never think about, they always just seem to be there.

I can send him a link to them if I can find a place to download them or “I can copy them from a CD that came with my computer”.  I don’t know what disk, the Windows install disk or the Dell applications CD?

My computer is a Dell XPS 600.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mike

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: One last question about boot CD for Ghaost?
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 1:44pm

Mike, you are getting close to a resolution.

In my Dell 9150 (similar to your computer) there is a folder....

C:\drivers\storage\sata\onboard

It contains about 15 files. Send all of these files to Symantec. If you don't have that folder in your C: drive there should be a similar folder in the Dell Applications CD or whatever it's called.

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: One last question about boot CD for Ghaost?
Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2007 at 3:03pm

Thanks Brian.

I'll do that.

Mike

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: One last question about boot CD for Ghost?
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 8:17am

HI

I finally got an .iso file from Symantec that should boot my computer into the Ghost program at startup.

I have literally gone through a dozen CD-Rs trying to do this.

I started out using Easy CD Creator 8.  When I just copy the .iso file to the CD I get the .iso file on the disk but the disk isn't bootable.

When I use the Burn Image to Disk then instead of the .iso file I get the contents of the .iso file burned to the disk so it still won't boot.

I went to the Roxio Forum and the general consensus is that you can't make a bootable disk with Easy CD Creator 8.  Why did I spend the money on this software?

So I found a freeware program, Active@ ISO Manager.   It doesn't have any utility to just copy the .iso file to a disk but I can extract the file and make a new one.

This still doesn't work because it won't let me create the new .iso file on a CD only to a folder on my drive so I'm right back where I started.

I already have the .iso file that will boot my computer.  How in the *#%^# do I get it onto a bootable CD so it will start my computer and let me run Ghost?

Any help Greatly, Greatly appreciated.

Mike

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 9:38am

MikeHawthorne

Use CD-RW until you know it works okay--save the coasters!!!!

My v7.xx of Easy CD Creator has the option under the *File* menu item to *Burn from Disk Image File ...*--does that work?

These two shareware programs have options to burn an *.iso* file--but I have not tried them myself--does this help?:

UltraISO

Under *Tools* menu item, see *Burn CD/DVD Image ...*

Magic ISO Maker

Under *Tools* menu item, see *Burn CD/DVD with ISO ...*

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 10:30am

Thanks NightOwl

I'll check these out.

Mike

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 11:57am

Hi

Success at last!!!
I downloaded a shareware program named Deep-Burner and used it's Burn ISO Image app and it worked. 

I made two disks and both booted fine, I don't know why the ones from Easy CD Creator don't boot.  They both looked exactly alike in Explorer.

But when I looked at the Roxio Forum I found a lot of other people having the same problem, as I said the general consensus  seemed to be that CD Creator 8 won't do it and the older ones will.

Anyway it works; this has been a process that has taken almost a week to complete what with getting an ISO file that would work and getting the disk made.

What a relief

Mike

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 12:46pm

MikeHawthorne

Quote:
I don't know why the ones from Easy CD Creator don't boot.  They both looked exactly alike in Explorer.

Do you have the *full* retail version--or is the OEM version that's packaged with certain optical drives, etc.--I would expect the *full* retail version to handle this, but many of the OEM versions are *stripped down* and *crippled* knock offs with certain functions missing!

It's obviously not handling the *hidden* boot sector image that needs to be placed on the bootable optical disc in order to be bootable!

Glad to hear you have a workable solution finally!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 2:48pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 22nd, 2007 at 12:46pm:
Glad to hear you have a workable solution finally!

Same here.

Mike, what advice would you give to the next person with a problem CD? What is the best way to approach Symantec?

IP Logged

MikeHawthorne
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 5:17pm

Hi Guys

I have the full version of Easy Media Creator 8.
I found posts on the Sonic forum that indicated that other people were having the same problem and they said they had not had the problem with older versions of the software.

As for getting the .ISO file from Symantec, they finally e-mailed me an address to contact some one in the Custom ISO department.  As it turned out I didn't need a custom one.

They had a page full of the things and after seeing my system info they told me which one to download.

This is the address of the driver department.
NIC_drivers@symantec.com

Mike

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 6:12pm

MikeHawthorne

Quote:
They had a page full
of the things and after seeing my system info they told me which one to download.

We *predicted* this was going to be an issue going forward way back when Ghost 9.x came out and Symantec had abandoned DOS as its recovery OS with a separate Recovery Disk for when it was needed to boot to the Recovery Environment--as soon as a new system chip comes out that was not included on the original disc--there would be a boot failure--we wondered back then how they would distribute updates--now we know--one-by-one when someone reports a problem!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print