Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
LAST CHANCE ?: Norton Ghost 2003 - Build 793 CD (Read 36426 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

LAST CHANCE ?: Norton Ghost 2003 - Build 793 CD
Feb 25th, 2007 at 12:21pm

[quote author=Pleonasm  link=1170849092/15#17 date=1171381570]
"... We don’t know with certainty yet, but:  (1) if Ghost 12 doesn’t include Ghost 2003 (DOS)/Ghost 8.2 (Windows PE) as early reports indicate; if (2) the Ghost component of Norton Save & Restore 2.0 likewise excludes Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2; and if (3) Norton SystemWorks Premier {i.e., the current version without a year designation} will now include Norton Save & Restore 2.0, then it seems to follow that licenses for Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 will essentially become completely unavailable.

With Ghost 12 and Norton Save & Restore 2.0 due to be launched by the end of April, we could be just 90 days away from the permanent disappearance of Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 as a purchase option for users seeking an image backup utility.  If that is the case, then I think this forum should highlight the situation so that users who wish to acquire Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 are able to do so while the opportunity still exists..."
[/quote]
LAST CHANCE LAGNIAPPE ?: Norton Ghost 2003 CD included inside Norton Ghost 10.0 Retail Box Shocked

CLICK HERE to view
FREE
offer on bundle shown above - after $70 Mail-In Rebate (MIR).

CLICK HERE to download $50 MIR form.

CLICK HERE to download $20 MIR upgrade form....

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: LAST CHANCE ?: Norton Ghost 2003 - Build 793 C
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 11:33am

I think, if the software *does* go away (altho we have yet to see), then it would become easier to download freely from the internet. Seems odd a company would protest downloading software they abandon (abandonware) and do not offer themselves.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 8:53am

Here seems to be the reason why Ghost 793 may disappear from newer versions of NG.

"the classic Ghost cloning client that our team makes was only included in "Ghost 9" and 10 in order to provide support for Windows 9x and NT4."

So, once the support to 9x and NT4 is stopped, GH793 may no longer be available to end users.

Rama

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 10:56am

LAST CHANCE LAGNIAPPE ?: Norton Ghost 2003 CD included inside Norton Ghost 10.0 Retail Box Shocked

LAST CHANCE LAGNIAPPE ?: Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 elements for WIN PE included on Norton Ghost 10.0 Installation CD Shocked

CLICK HERE to view
FREE
offer on Norton Ghost 2007 shown above - after $63 in Mail-In Rebates (MIRs).

CLICK HERE to download $43 MIR form.

CLICK HERE to download $20 MIR upgrade form....

EP
Cry

IP Logged

DrWho2006
Gnarly

Retired PC tech

Central Florida USA

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 5:53pm

I can't remember where now, but recently someone sent me an ISO of a Ghost boot CD that had only two files on it,,,,,, ghost.exe and Mouse.com, and of course the system (boot) files.

Now ya'know, it don't get no simpler than that. Wink Grin Grin

Well anyway I ran the ghost.exe file and it came up as Ghost 2005.  A check showed it as build 1331 (or something like that)  Well, hey, it worked like a champ.  I guess I'll be using that from now on to replace my old build 793 version of Ghost.

So, take heart!  There's still life after 793!  Wink Grin Grin Grin

The Doctor Cool

Norton Killer = http://www.symantec.com/symnrt/&&Don't WORK your Computer, Make your Computer WORK for you!&&...
IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 6:48pm

doc,

can you post a print-out or graphic of the statement from ghost where it states the version number?

so we know exactly what you're talking about.

we've never heard of a "ghost 2005" or "build 1331".

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 7:32am

Rad wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 6:48pm:
we've never heard of a "ghost 2005" or "build 1331".

1331 is the build number of the executables from GSS1.1 - in general, everything in the corporate builds has the same build number, since the Configuration Management process has a script to be able to construct the install sets completely from scratch, recompiling everything out of the source-control system.

1502 is the build number for the initial release of GSS2.0; we tend to skip to the nearest 100 or perhaps more when closing off a project to reserve build numbers for hotfixes to things.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 8:37am

Rad

I'm betting the *Header* line when the program boots says *Ghost 8.x* at the top--not Ghost 2005!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 11:07am

Nbree, can you confirm the suspicion that:
  • Norton Ghost 12 will no longer include either Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.2
  • The Ghost component of Norton Save & Restore 2.0 will likewise not include either Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.2
  • The Ghost component of Norton SystemWorks Premier (i.e., the current version without a year designation) will likewise not include either Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.2, because Norton Save & Restore 2.0 will be packaged with Norton SystemWorks Premier
If all three statements are true, it appears that licenses for Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8.2 will become completely unavailable for consumers at retail.  Under this circumstance, will there be any other means of purchasing a Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.2 license from Symantec?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 8:15pm

Quote:
Nbree, can you confirm the suspicion that:

Nope, I can't. I have no contact with anyone involved in any of those things. You guys will probably find out well before I will.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 5:17pm

Rad checking in. Interesting info.

If (if) the dos-based version of Ghost is not longer available in future releases, it would seem Symantec wouldn't mind someone hosting their old (unsupported) software. Isn't that called abandonware?

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:13pm

Rad wrote on Apr 5th, 2007 at 5:17pm:
Isn't that called abandonware?

Firstly, DOS-based Ghost is still available, since it's a key part of GSS. I don't like the fact that it's more expensive for individuals to buy any more than you do, but this still makes it about price as much as availability.

Secondly, there are brand protection issues involved. Norton and Symantec still exists as brands, Ghost still exists as a brand, and those things are arguably worth more than any product. The company hasn't always appreciated the Ghost brand and Symantec's trademark enforcement has been woeful at times, but it's still a valuable brand the company has an interest in defending.

Working to find a way to keep the LiveUpdates available from us for customers with 2003 licenses is something we can work on, and I can talk to management about that.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 8:11pm

Quote:
"... DOS-based Ghost is still available, since it's a key part of GSS... there are brand protection issues involved. Norton and Symantec still exists as brands, Ghost still exists as a brand, and those things are arguably worth more than any product... Working to find a way to keep the LiveUpdates available from us for customers with 2003 licenses is something we can work on, and I can talk to management about that..."

Well, maintaining LiveUpdates for v2003 would certainly be a commendable first step, but there is a lesson to be learned about brand loyalty from the uproar suffered by the veritable worldwide giant of marketing - the Coca-Cola
TM
Company.  Some years ago here in the southeastern USA (and maybe nationwide) the company announced the New Coke
TM
supplanting the previous long-standing formula/flavor - and the buying public was outraged at the announcement and scornful of the new product.  So scornful in fact that when a version of the original formula was renamed Classic Coca-Cola
TM
and placed back on the shelves as a complement to
New Coke
TM
, before long the latter product disappeared from the market Shocked

Albeit there is no comparable public uproar in this case, nonetheless I would suggest pitching to the marketing group the notion of skeletonizing for home use a recent version of Symantec Ghost Solution Suite n.n - and then rebrand it for the consumer market as Legacy Norton Ghost or Classic Norton Ghost to essentially supplant Norton Ghost 2003 while distinguishing it from the PowerQuest Drive Image 7.n derivatives[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

EP
Cry

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 11:02pm

Suggesting that I talk to our marketing folks sounds innocuous. However, given that it's a VP-level decision that I'd be seeking to overturn, and the VP in question is still in charge of us, it wouldn't be viewed as innocuous.

I suppose getting fired would make my life better, in that I wouldn't have constant stress-induced chest pain any more. But I don't think it'd be that great an outcome for the Ghost customers.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 11:39pm

Quote:
in that I wouldn't have constant stress-induced chest pain any more.

nbree,

Well I hope it's not something that will require a visit to Green Lane for anything invasive. Keep well.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print