Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems imaging to USB external drive, Ghost 2003 (Read 6215 times)
HornAlum02
N00b

Problems imaging to USB external drive, Ghost 2003
Feb 27th, 2007 at 9:48am

I'm having some issues with getting the disk backup in Norton 2003 to create an image of the primary disk to a WD Passport external USB hard drive on a specific machine. I've looked through several threads here but can't find anyone who's been doing this with a laptop and is in the same boat as me.

I'm using a Dell Latitude D620, so there is no floppy drive.

I HAVE gotten this to work on a Latitude D420, but took a couple of reboots to get it to work.

Scenario:

The Setup - Launching Ghost to do a backup, I choose to backup Disk 1, which has the Dell Utility partition, then the C drive. The WD Passport drive is setup with the drive letter E: (D is taken by the DVD-ROM). I wish to store the image to the USB drive, right in the root directory as D620.gho.

I've enabled USB 2.0 support and "Assign drive letters to USB devices". I've also added the "-NOIDE" flag to the ghost command line arguments in the advanced settings.

I am using the virtual partition when the machine reboots itself, as there is no floppy drive. The first time I reboot, PC-Dos sees the USB drive and gives it ID6. The FIRST TIME, ghost also gives the USB drive the drive letter of E and launches into ghost.

However at this point, all you have is the blank Norton ghost 2003 screen with the symantec logo, blue borders, grey bottom and center box and an hourglass for the mouse. It seems to be hung here.

So I reboot. I go through the PC Dos process again, but this time, it simply hangs where it tries to assign a drive letter to the USB drive.

Quote:
Iomega ASPI USB-EHC1 1.0 V.13 09 May 2003
Copyright (C) 2003 Iomega corporation.
All rights reserved

ID6=WD      16000BEVExternal
Installed succesfully

Iomega Guest Driver Version 8.5

Finding a drive letter for your Iomega drive...

After a while, it says it cannot assign a drive letter, and gives you the 3 options (exit dos, windows, retry operation). Sometimes if you pick retry, it goes back into the blank Ghost 2003 screen with the hourglass and does NOTHING.

Quote:
No drive letters were added.
Microsoft (R) Mouse Driver Version 8.20
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1983-1992
Copyright (C) IBM Corp. 1992-1993.
Mouse driver installed

The previous operation has failed.
Please enter the number of the action you wish to take:
(1) Exit to Dos
(2) Return to Windows
(3) Return the operation

Here's the task log for the process if I go back to windows

Quote:
BackupOperation 0

-- GHOST\GSCRIPT.TXT ----------------------------------------------------------

[BackupOperation]
AlreadyProcessedFile = YES
BeginTimeParam = Tue Feb 27 09:25:22 2007
CompressionParam = 1
DestFingerprintParam = 5fe79018-be26-437c-8a45-df4237023f02
DestPartitionOffsetParam = 63
ExecutionStateParam = ExecutionStarted
FileIdParam = 743500
MiscParam = -NOIDE
PathParam = \D620.gho
SourceFingerprintParam = 4663738d-a957-4dd0-ba3b-5d33ac5327ec
UseImageDescriptionParam = YES
UseLFOParam = NO
WindowsPathParam = E:\D620.gho

-- GHOST\ARGS.TXT -------------------------------------------------------------

-igb -z1 -imgdescfile=\ghost\imgdescp.txt -wizard "-clone,mode=create,src=@GF4663738d-a957-4dd0-ba3b-5d33ac5327ec,dst=@FIND[ID:743500]\D620.gho" -ghwrap -NOIDE
-- AUTOEXEC.BAT ---------------------------------------------------------------

@echo off
SET PATH=C:\GHOST;C:\
SET PROMPT=To return to Windows, type ghreboot and press Enter.$_$p$g
SET TZ=GHO+06:00
if "%CONFIG%" == "WINDOWS" goto WINDOWS
\GUEST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
CD \GHOST
GHWRAP.EXE
goto EOF

:WINDOWS
\GHOST\GHREBOOT.EXE

:EOF
-- CONFIG.SYS -----------------------------------------------------------------

[MENU]
menuitem=GHOST,Run Norton Ghost Dos Operation
menuitem=WINDOWS,Return to Windows without running Norton Ghost
menudefault=GHOST,3

[GHOST]
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICE = \USB\ASPIEHCI.SYS /int /all

[WINDOWS]

When I did this on the 420, the same thing happend the first time the machine reboots: assigns drive letter E to the usb drive, goes into ghost and hangs. So I reboot, and it hangs on assigning the drive letter to the USB drive. THIRD reboot: it assigns the drive letter, kicks into Ghost and actually works this time. However, the D420 has no CD Drive, just a FYI ... it comes with an external USB cd drive enclosure.

Is there a solution or fix this that DOES NOT involve creating a floppy boot disk?

Any input is appreciated.

IP Logged

HornAlum02
N00b

Re: Problems imaging to USB external drive, Ghost
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 12:25pm

Hrm, I think I got it to work.

I added the panasonic USB drivers and the di1000 driver to the virtual partition, as well as himem.sys. however, I hit f8 to manually step through config.sys and autoexec.bat. I hit 'NO' for both USB drivers, but yes for the di1000 driver, and then hit 'NO' for Guest.exe. It launched into Norton ghost and then after about 10 seconds, it kicked off the imaging process.

score!

The interesting test will be restoring it now  Shocked

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:03pm

HornAlum02 -

Norton Ghost 2003 can be finicky with some USB external HDDs.  When employing NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine, be advised that the stock Norton/Iomega components - ASPIEHCI.SYS and GUEST.EXE - should be discarded.

More USB 2.0 External HDDs should work as promised now with DOS-based applications !!!

Behold an updated fusion of the Norton/Iomega Disaster Recovery Disk and NightOwl's 'Panasonic Universal USB Driver'.

STEP ONE: Format a 1.44MB floppy in a WIN 9x PC using the 'Copy system files' option. Then, label it as MS-DOS Disaster Recovery Disk for submission to the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard
where MS-DOS will be selected as opposed to PC-DOS
.  Leaving the
Assign DOS drive letter
box unchecked ensures that only a single diskette will be required for the task. The image above illustrates the unmodified CONFIG.SYS using the stock Norton/Iomega USB driver before any modifications are undertaken.

STEP TWO: Open the USB folder with Edit and discard the
aspiehci.sys file
file, replacing it with
usbaspi.sys
and
di1000dd.sys
as shown above.

STEP THREE: Open the CONFIG.SYS file with Notepad.  Discard
DEVICE = aspiehci.sys
and modify the DEVICE assignments as shown above.

STEP FOUR: After the modifications have been completed, the changes are notionally illustrated in
RED
above.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

HornAlum02
N00b

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 8:13am

Actually the panasonic usb driver screws me up as well. It sits there, trying to scan for USB drives and just hangs, so I've stopped loading that driver. I use f8 to singlestep through config.sys and autoexec and just load the di1000dd.sys driver, then let the autoexec run that's loaded by 2003 into the virtual partition, except I don't let guest.exe run. Usually kicks into ghost and backs up from there.

I just have to figure out how the arguements are being set up that tells ghost where to put the files because it's not creating a drive letter from a lack of software USB emulation.

Here's the log file ghost 2003 generated ... obviously, I hit "NO" for some of the things, in the single step operations.

Quote:
BackupOperation 1

-- GHOST\GSCRIPT.TXT ----------------------------------------------------------

[BackupOperation]
AlreadyProcessedFile = YES
BeginTimeParam = Wed Feb 28 07:49:20 2007
CompressionParam = 1
DestFingerprintParam = 5fe79018-be26-437c-8a45-df4237023f02
DestPartitionOffsetParam = 63
EndTimeParam = Wed Feb 28 07:59:48 2007
ExecutionStateParam = ExecutionComplete
FileIdParam = 351000
PathParam = \test.gho
SourceFingerprintParam = 4663738d-a957-4dd0-ba3b-5d33ac5327ec
UseImageDescriptionParam = YES
UseLFOParam = NO
WindowsPathParam = E:\test.gho

-- GHOST\ARGS.TXT -------------------------------------------------------------

-igb -z1 -imgdescfile=\ghost\imgdescp.txt -wizard "-clone,mode=create,src=@GF4663738d-a957-4dd0-ba3b-5d33ac5327ec,dst=@FIND[ID:351000]\test.gho" -ghwrap
-- AUTOEXEC.BAT ---------------------------------------------------------------

@echo off
SET PATH=C:\GHOST;C:\
SET PROMPT=To return to Windows, type ghreboot and press Enter.$_$p$g
SET TZ=GHO+06:00
if "%CONFIG%" == "WINDOWS" goto WINDOWS
\GUEST.EXE                                 
(i hit "N" for no)

LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd1 /D:cd2
MOUSE.COM
CD \GHOST
GHWRAP.EXE
goto EOF

:WINDOWS
\GHOST\GHREBOOT.EXE

:EOF
-- CONFIG.SYS -----------------------------------------------------------------

[MENU]
menuitem=GHOST,Run Norton Ghost Dos Operation
menuitem=WINDOWS,Return to Windows without running Norton Ghost
menudefault=GHOST,3

[GHOST]
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICE = \USB\ASPIEHCI.SYS /int /all 
(i hit "N" for no)

DEVICE = \ASPICD.SYS /D:cd2            
(i hit "N" for no)

DEVICE = \OAKCDROM.SYS /D:cd1
Device=Himem.sys
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v /w /norst      
(i hit "N" for no)

Device=di1000dd.sys
Dos=high,umb

[WINDOWS]

I just gotta figure out how to do the reverse process via command line using a bootable CD (already know how to create that using nightowl's bootable cd project instructions).

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 9:27am

HornAlum02

Looks like your BIOS must be mounting your external USB HDD for you, being as you are not loading any of the USB DOS drivers that are for mounting the USB HDD in DOS.

The *di1000dd.sys* driver is supposed to assign a drive letter to your USB HDD--I assume you get a drive letter assigned if you are able to access the HDD in Ghost.

If the HDD is formatted as NTFS--then no DOS drive letter is assigned--you have access the drive in Ghost using drive # and partition # in that case:  1:1, or 2:1 or whatever drive # and partition # represents you external HDD.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

absinthe
Dude

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 9:29am

HornAlum02 wrote on Feb 27th, 2007 at 12:25pm:
Hrm, I think I got it to work.

I added the panasonic USB drivers and the di1000 driver to the virtual partition, as well as himem.sys. however, I hit f8 to manually step through config.sys and autoexec.bat. I hit 'NO' for both USB drivers, but yes for the di1000 driver, and then hit 'NO' for Guest.exe.

HornAlum02,

I'm interested in whether your method worked at USB 2.0 speeds . . . i.e., how long did the backup take?

-abs

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print