Send Topic Print
CD/DVD Support ? (Read 4689 times)
warpmaster
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

CD/DVD Support ?
Feb 28th, 2007 at 4:19am

Hello

I am still trying to use the advice that NightOwl gave me, in another thread. To do a Bootable CD/DVD with multiple NIC.

But, while i am not have results, i have more doubts with  Norton Ghost 2003 ( im trying to obtain NG 10 )

I have SATA HD and two Optical Drives, a DVD-RW and a CD-RW. Using Norton Ghost 2003 floppy wizard with MS-DOS and "-noide" as parameter, i obtain useful floppy to boot with SATA HD.

But, it does not recognize any optical drive. I think, at least one is with IDE BUS.

It is normal?  ???

I continue trying to obtain Bootable CD/DVD with multiple NIC

Thanks!

EDIT:

I edited this post as fast i could. I created a 2 floopy with ghost 2003 wizard. I selected the last option, "CD/DVD Startup with Ghost". And it worked. Now, will be perfect to make a DVD/CD boot with DVD/CD support  Tongue I will try it.

Bye

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: CD/DVD Support ?
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 7:52am

warpmaster

Quote:
I have SATA HD and two Optical Drives, a DVD-RW and a CD-RW. Using Norton Ghost 2003 floppy wizard with MS-DOS and "-noide" as parameter, i obtain useful floppy to boot with SATA HD.

But, it does not recognize any optical drive. I think, at least one is with IDE BUS.

If you use the *-noide* switch, than any HDD or optical drive hooked up to a *IDE* controller will probably not be available in Ghost.

Radified Forum Member *ben_mott* posted this information about a new DOS driver that works with the newer SATA optical drives, and apparently is backward compatible with IDE optical drives as well.  It replaces the *oakcdrom.sys* (or similar) DOS driver in the *config.sys*:

Ghost 7.5 SATA CD-ROM

Download *gcdrom.sys* here!

Some additional resources:

GCDROM for DOS

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

warpmaster
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 9:16am

NightOwl wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 7:52am:
warpmaster

If you use the *-noide* switch, than any HDD or optical drive hooked up to a *IDE* controller will probably not be available in Ghost.

Thanks NightOwl  Wink

Im sure you are right, but if i don't use noide parameter, the boot floopy disk don't work.

I tested this. First, i made a norton ghost standard floopy without parameter. I reboot the system, the floopy boot and load the ghost, but don't works.

Then, i made a second norton ghost standad floppy ( i still use Norton Ghost 2003 ), i wrote "-noide" in parameter field and reboot the system. This time, the floopy works  Undecided I could see the ghost application running, and explore the SATA HD with NFTS .

But, as you say, i don't see any IDE optical drive.

As i wrote in my first post, i tried to make a floppy with DVD CD Support and then this works.
Problem
: this requires 2 diskettes... and i cannot make a CD because i don't kwow to do it Undecided I tried to do a Boot CD/DVD with files of CD/DVD Support using Nero. Don't works.

Then i have some troubles floating on air. How to do a CD/DVD bootable that load Norton in SATA HD and recognize a IDE optical drive. I think with this, i will have a first solution to start the work. Really, i didn't think that use Norton was so complicated Cry

I know that I am asking much, thanks to all people of forum  Wink

EDIT:

I find this  googling:

Quote:
You need to use the first disk of the set to make the CD bootable, then burn the GHOST.EXE program to the ISO portion of the CD. You'll need to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files to have CD support after the CD boots, then you can access the rest of the CD. I haven't done this with GHOST, but I've created several MS-DOS bootable CD's with lots of stuff on the ISO file-system that is accessable after I boot the CD.

Perhaps its a solution?  ???

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 9:31am

warpmaster

Have you tried the *-fni* switch to start Ghost and see if your SATA HDD's show up okay without using the *-noide* switch?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

warpmaster
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 10:03am

I tried, don't work  Cry I hate SATA HDD's!!!

What can i do now? If only i could obtain a way to use 2 floopys with CD/DVD support and make a CD/DVD Bootable, at least i will charge the CD and load the *.gho.

Im thinking in another solutions. To buy a USB HDD external? So i m still think that the network CD will be more difficult to me  Undecided

Any idea?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 10:08am

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print