Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can't boot after restore (Read 7915 times)
eclipsemyl
Ex Member

Can't boot after restore
Mar 7th, 2007 at 12:05am

Hi, I have Ghost 10 installed on my desktop.

I wanted to wipe the contents of my ThinkPad (because i was sending it in for service and wanted them only to see the factory image) so I connected my notebook drive to an external enclosure and connected to my desktop. 

From my desktop, I backed up the notebook drive (which showed up as drive "L").  I wiped the drive, got my machine repaired, and then tried to retore my backup image.

I restored it "successfully" by putting it back in the enclosure and restoring my backup from the desktop, but now it won't boot.  It just hangs when trying to boot after the ThinkPad flash screen.

I've tried the Windows98 "fix /mbr" trick, but it didn't work.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Can't boot after restore
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 12:26am

Quote:
so I connected my notebook drive to an external enclosure and connected to my desktop. 

From my desktop, I backed up the notebook drive (which showed up as drive "L").  I wiped the drive, got my machine repaired, and then tried to retore my backup image.

I restored it "successfully" by putting it back in the enclosure and restoring my backup from the desktop, but now it won't boot.

eclipsemyl,

Geometry problem.

We have the answer and maybe the solution. Have a look through this and let us know what you decide.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11286...

IP Logged

eclipsemyl
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 12:50am

Thanks Brian. 

But did this geometry problem exist for that other user because he was doing multiple drives of different sizes?

I am installing the disk image back onto the original disk.  I created the backup image, wiped it, reinstalled windows (then got my laptop repaired), then tried to put the image back onto the original disk. 

Are you saying that Ghost used different allocation sizes when restoring my image?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2007 at 1:24am

Quote:
But did this geometry problem exist for that other user because he was doing multiple drives of different sizes?

No, the problem is you can't image and restore IBM laptops the way you did. The HD must be in the laptop for the image and restore process. You had the laptop HD in the desktop for these processes and that messes up the CHS geometry on the laptop HD.

It's not looking good but the last post is worth considering.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 10:30pm

Brian wrote on Mar 7th, 2007 at 1:24am:
No, the problem is you can't image and restore IBM laptops the way you did. The HD must be in the laptop for the image and restore process. You had the laptop HD in the desktop for these processes and that messes up the CHS geometry on the laptop HD.

It's not looking good but the last post is worth considering.

Could it be that the new hard drive partition has to be set to active? In a HD with FAT32, I had a problem like it once when I tried to restore image from one drive to a replacement drive. After I set the partition to active, the booting became normal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print