Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and Mouse Support (Read 20530 times)
obas
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 2003 and Mouse Support
Mar 10th, 2007 at 7:07pm

Hello all and thanks for the great forum and walk through guides.

I have learned a ton from skimming these pages However, I was able to create several images successfully on a Sony Viao (700p model) I have been tweaking away at it and I continue to keep "re-imaging" till I get it just right. While, I have been highly successfully I still have one thing that is stumping me.

I have Norton Ghost 2003 and I can't get either a USB mouse or the track pad on the laptop to work. When you go and would pick like local image and then from then disk...or where you deem necessary.

I have gone under the "advance" tab on the N.G 2003 I have added teh Autoexe.bat and the Mouse.ini, and the Mouse.com. I got these files from http://radified.com/Files/ , and was using the ghost boot files. Now when I tested the disk the track pad just did not work, Also, when I plugged in the usb mouse the red optical mouse does come on but no mouse cursor shows up. I did go under the advance tab and selected Usb 1.1 drivers.

Any Ideas as to what I am doing wrong.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost 2003 and Mouse Support
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2007 at 7:18pm

obas wrote on Mar 10th, 2007 at 7:07pm:
"... I have Norton Ghost 2003 and I can't get either a USB mouse or the track pad on the laptop to work..."

IP Logged

obas
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 6:35pm

Ok, thanks for your help so far.

However, can I just add that DEVICE = Usbaspi.sys /norst /v /w /e into the config.sys file. All I had in there right now was LASTDRIVE = Z. Or do I have to add it under the advance tab in the CONFIG.SYS additions field like it is at this like http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10954...

Also, where is that Usbaspi.sys file comming from. All I have or am point to put on my bootable cd is Config.sys, Mouse.com and mouse.ini. Do I need that Usbaspi.sys or will it auto put that in?

Thanks Obas

IP Logged

obas
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 6:37pm

Actually scratch that it won't create or let me put in the config.sys file it says it can't create it in the Virtual partition. So I will try it the other way.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 7:50pm

obas wrote on Mar 11th, 2007 at 6:35pm:
"... where is that Usbaspi.sys file comming from..."

IP Logged

obas
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 8:10pm

ok I tried that and during the creation of the image I had a mouse when I boot off the DVD I still get now mouse via USB or track pad? any ideas.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 9:17pm

obas

It's unclear what you are doing, and what procedure you are attempting!

Are you attempting to save an image to an external USB HDD, or are you saving to a second partition or internal HDD?

Does your BIOS provide USB DOS mouse support--a setting that says something to the effect *legacy USB support*?

Are you running your Ghost procedure from the Windows Ghost interface--or are you creating boot floppy disks or bootable optical media that you boot to DOS from?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

obas
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 10:04pm

Are you attempting to save an image to an external USB HDD - NO!

or are you saving to a second partition or internal HDD? -NOPE!

Does your BIOS provide USB DOS mouse support--a setting that says something to the effect *legacy USB support*? - the only thing I see in the bios is ps/2 mouse which says Dual operation [enabled]

Are you running your Ghost procedure from the Windows Ghost interface- I am running from a windows interface. I am telling it to create a buckup image of the sony pc. I click adavance and got to like user files and add the mouse.com and the mouse.ini. I also put a dot in the radial circle that says usb1.1. I also added DRIVE = (the command given above) in the config.sys. Then I click apply and next then next again then it reboots the computer and starts to create and image. AT THAT POINT I DO HAVE A MOUSE. HOWEVER. ITS WHEN I GO TO RE-GHOST A MACHINE like i am restoring from a dvd I WOULD LIKE A MOUSe. -

or are you creating boot floppy disks or bootable optical media that you boot to DOS from? - sort of . When I stick a ghost image in to restore from to test to see if the mouse feature works I am restoring from a DVD. I created that from within widows but ghost 2003 boots into dos to make it. I used the ghost xp boot files off of this site (just the mouse.ini and mouse.com files)

anything else.

Thanks a ton you guys.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2007 at 11:42pm

obas

Quote:
Are you attempting to save an image to an external USB HDD - NO!

or are you saving to a second partition or internal HDD? -NOPE!

Okay--make me guess--it would be nice to just say you're saving to optical media--rather than hiding it down at the bottom.

But, that answer is the *key*--you can place the *mouse.com* and *mouse.ini* file in the Ghost Options *User Files*--but, those files will only be active in the *virtual partition* during the Ghost procedure--and will not be placed on the bootable optical disc.

Turns out that using the Windows Ghost interface to create a bootable optical media, Ghost uses a boot image file that is pre-determined and the user can not alter it--and for unexplained reasons--that boot image file does not include mouse support.  You have to use the keyboard tab key and the arrow keys to navigate.

That's one of the reasons I created this
Guide
Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive
--it's a custom boot disc that has DOS optical media access, and mouse support!

But, you have a USB mouse--I'm using a PS/2 serial mouse DOS driver that is very small in size--you may require a
USB mouse DOS driver
--and that may be too large a file to load in a standard 1.44 MB boot sector on optical media along with all the other DOS drivers + *ghost.exe*.  You may have to place the *ghost.exe* on the data portion of the optical disc in order to make more room in the 1.44 boot sector.

If your BIOS gives you built-in mouse support in DOS so you do not have to load a DOS driver, then you probably do not need to place the *ghost.exe* on the data portion of the optical media--you will have to do some testing to determine that.

You should not be loading Ghost's 1.1 USB driver--that's for HDD's only, and it will probably *kill* the mouse support from the BIOS if it's available.

Here's some resources discussing placing *ghost.exe* on the data portition of the optical boot disc:

Placing *ghost.exe* on the bootable CD/DVD project disc

Summary of adding USB support and DOS PartitionMagic to Bootable CD--see reply #6

Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

obas
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 6:49am

Hey Guys I'm back Smiley.

Ok I followed the STERIOD BOOT CD GUIDE, and ran into 3 issues.

1. The mouse.com is bigger in size that the one in the picture. Mine was 56k, where the one in the picture was like smaller. I went to the ratified downloads page and grabbed the ghostboot file/dl'd it and insterted that in its place. Cause it was pushing it over the 1.44 size.
So I think I got that figured out.

2. My next prooblem would be that the image files I created ended up being spanned. This is probably do to high compression. It is 3 spanned files. How do I get around this. Do I have to reimage the pc, with no compression - if thats the case how would I make it so its small enough to fit on a cd.

3. I have nero 7 ultra and it does not support *ima files or what was suggested as the saving file name extension. I went out and d/l'd magiciso but that don't see the spanned image files. I HATE ROXIO!! HATE IT HATE IT!!! Can you guys suggest a good perhaps free product to help me out. Or a work around so that I can use nero 7.

Thanks for ALL OF YOUR HELP GUYS!!
Learning a lot here.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 7:56am

obas

1.  The
Guide
has the link to the mouse driver:  http://www.bootdisk.com/readme.htm#mouse

Quote:
Mouse.com :  Put this in the 'Mouse (Microsoft)' subdirectory.

Download:  The first 'mouse.com' listed at the above link.

2.  If your data size is greater than  approx. 2 GB--DOS has a 2 GB size limit--so an image file set will have to be spanned.  Spanned files should not be a problem--if they are small enough to fit on a CD--you start Ghost with the *-split* switch to force Ghost to make the spans the size you need:  ghost.exe -split=750

will make image file sizes that will fit on a CD.

3.  I've not used Nero myself, but if it's the *full version*, I'm betting it does support the boot image file from WinImage--probably need to read the help files on creating a bootable optical disc from a boot image file--probably have to go to some sort of *Advanced* settings to set it up.

IP Logged

obas
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 8:40am

Ok so I renamed my boot image like the document say then put it in the nero directory and started a dvd-boot it appears all those settings are already set or standart I.E use today date and time...etc.

I clicked new and I had a little bit of green at the bottom of how much of the dvd would be filled up then I clicked and dragged over from inside nero windows the ghost files so those were add to the image files as well.

So on the dvd I have the 1.44 boot files and then I have the following
-Laptop1.gho size = 2,097,139
-Lapto001.ghs size = 2,097,143
-Lapto002.ghs size = 4,682

So hopefully my last question is where or when or even how do I do that switch thing. Will it prompt me once I burn the disc and reboot to test it out. Or do I have to right click on the ghost.exe and edit it, or do I edit something else.....I am assuming its going to prompt me in dos, but I just want to make sure first. Also would my switch be ghost.exe. -2,097,139.

I take it the switcg(parameter) calls out the first initial .gho file and that links over to the .001 or do I have string those - (filesize) out.

Thanks a ton guys.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 10:33am

obas wrote on Mar 17th, 2007 at 6:49am:
"... The mouse.com is bigger in size that the one in the picture. Mine was 56k, where the one in the picture was like smaller..."

Well, I suppose I should take some comfort from realizing that I am not the only person to suffer from an oversized MOUSE.COM under such circumstances Roll Eyes

... My first mistake - as outlined above - was in intuitively selecting the ZIP file rather than carefully reading  "Download: The first 'mouse.com' listed..." as shown below.

... My second mistake was in failing to realize that not all MOUSE.COM files are necessarily of identical dimensions.

... Paying careful attention to instructions will yield the desirable download.

... The array of components shown above - sans EDB.CAB - dovetailed perfectly into a 1.44MB format during a WinImage Injection using Nero 6 Ultra Edition.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

obas
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 1:34pm

here is my status, after taking the IO.sys and the msdos.sys files from .ima file that the steroid walk through guide had me create. I merged those files with all the ones in the ghost xp zip that I d/l from here.

Now the cd does boot it. I got to choose files from cd in the drop down arrow or tab, point to cd, and it gives me an error that says "This cd was not created with norton ghost." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 3:35pm

obas wrote on Mar 17th, 2007 at 6:49am:
"... I have nero 7 ultra and it does not support *ima files or what was suggested as the saving file name extension.  I went out and d/l'd magiciso but that don't see the spanned image files.  I HATE ROXIO!! HATE IT HATE IT!!!.."

I do not quite follow the line of complaint as I believe Ahead's Nero and Roxio are in fact competitors.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print