Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick Ghost 2003 Question about DVD & HD (Read 7517 times)
BillWEJ
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Quick Ghost 2003 Question about DVD & HD
Mar 20th, 2007 at 6:20pm

I started a ghost image of a running XP C: drive.  I started the Image (the *.GHO and subsiquent *.GHS) files to a hard drive that I use for just holding backups.
About 3/4 of the way into the session, the hard drive ran out of space.
I pointed the session at my DVD drive to finish.
Several DVDs later, it finished.  Now I'm trying to use Ghost Explorer to recover some files. 
It opens the *.GHO file and then askes for the last section for this session.  I tried pointing to the files on the last DVD, but Ghost doesn't seem to want to deal with it.  It keeps coming back with the browser screen and asking for the last file.
There are three files on the last disk.  I pointed to each, but still no good.
Anyone seen or dealt with this before.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Quick Ghost 2003 Question about DVD & HD
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 6:57pm

well, that's the first time i've heard of someone starting the image on a hard disk, and finishing on dvd. altho i guess there's no reason you can't. usually it's either all one or the other (hard disk or optical media).

with ntfs file system it can be a chore to explore with ghost explorer. i've seen suggestions from others to first try and copy all cd/dvd's to hard drive and explore from there, as it will go mach faster (than disc-swap hell).

is that possible? doesn't sound like it. slow is better than nothing. have you verified the image integrity?

but ghost should be able to SEE the dvd's .. especially if it WROTE (part of) the image to the dvd.

you say it can't see the image it wrote (to dvd)?

i don't use ghost explorer much myself, so maybe others (with more experience) can chime in with better insights.

you say "several dvd's later" .. sounds like a monster image.

we usually recommend putting just the o/s & prgms on the system/boot drive, and everything else on another partition ... to keep the image small (less than 1 dual-layer DVD would be nice).

http://radified.com/blog/archives/000185.html

http://partition.radified.com/

IP Logged

BillWEJ
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 3:44pm

Thanks for the response RAD. you're right it was a verrrrry big image and I wouldn't normally even try anything like this, but its my wife's machine, and I didn't want to deal with "Oh, I really needed this, or that file." It was not to creat n  image for multiple PCs, this was strickly a backup and CYA.
So I figured I'd ghost it and no matter what, I'll have everything.
It was much larger than I antisipated.
It filled up my backup Hard drive with a DELmar07.GHO and the rest of the DELma001.GHS and DELma002.GHS, etc.
When Ghost said I was out of space, I put in a blank DVD and pointed Ghost to it for more space.
Ghost changed the naming of the spanned files from DELma0xx.GHS to CDR00001.GHO and CDR00002.GHO, etc.
When you check Properties, Explorer (MS) calls the DVD files (1GB) a "Ghost image file" and it open with Norton Ghost Explorer.
When I call up Ghost to open the DVD files, it says that CDR00001.GHO is a spanned image file, so Ghost knows that these are spanned image files not from the extention but some charateristic.
When I call up Ghost Explorer to Open the first of the HD files (DELmar07.GHO) it then asks to "select the file for the last segment in this image file".  Ghost is looking for a *.GHS or *.0* type file.  The DVD has *.GHO as default.  If I select all files on the DVD and choose the last CDR00033.GHO
I just comes back asking for the last segment in this image.
I tried copying the last DVD file to HD and renaming it to Delma0xx.GHS it still won't take it

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 10:07pm

You may want to review the archive at the symantec ghost forum where you may find some info on how the spanning is handled inside the ghost image files. May be you will find an answer. If you don't, you may want to post the problem there since some of the developers are active in the forum.

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 5:21pm

Please do post about this on our forums (which got moved to some new forum software in the last couple of days, so the URL changed) at https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board?board.id=109 - we'll do what we can to get you going again.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2007 at 7:40pm

Rad wrote on Mar 20th, 2007 at 6:57pm:
i've seen suggestions from others to first try and copy all cd/dvd's to hard drive and explore from there, system/boot drive, and everything else on another partition ...

KISS principle.  I would try this first. Chances are it would work.

Rama

IP Logged

BillWEJ
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 9:03pm

Thanks for the suggestion Rama.  I tried loading the last CDRxxx.GHO file on a hard drive as well as the "first of the last DVD" (there were three cdrxx.GHO files on the last DVD).  I also tried changing the name of the files to the appropriate *.GHS.    Ghost was still not "happy".
If I attempt to just point Ghost Explorer at the last couple of files, it recognises that the first file on the DVD was a GHS file and Ghost explorer wanted the original GHO file, but the others were not recognised as Ghost files.  That's why I tried to "first of the last" and the true last.

Thanks for sticking with me through this.  As it turns out, she did have some pictures buried on that drive (note "did", before it re-imaged it).

IP Logged

BillWEJ
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 6:10pm

I finally got through to the symantec baord as suggested by NBree and posted the same issue there.
I'll post here if I ever get this thing resolved.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 7:23pm

BillWEJ wrote on Mar 20th, 2007 at 6:20pm:
I started a ghost image of a running XP C: drive.  I started the Image (the *.GHO and subsiquent *.GHS) files to a hard drive that I use for just holding backups.
About 3/4 of the way into the session, the hard drive ran out of space.
I pointed the session at my DVD drive to finish.
Several DVDs later, it finished.  Now I'm trying to use Ghost Explorer to recover some files. 
It opens the *.GHO file and then askes for the last section for this session.  I tried pointing to the files on the last DVD, but Ghost doesn't seem to want to deal with it.  It keeps coming back with the browser screen and asking for the last file.
There are three files on the last disk.  I pointed to each, but still no good.
Anyone seen or dealt with this before.

There is a msg thread on symantec ghost forum and the resolution of the problem is being addressed there. You may want to visit an follow the developments.

Rama

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2007 at 9:06pm

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print