Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'gotcha' in old forums got me (Read 5477 times)
jerryc
N00b

I Love Radified!

'gotcha' in old forums got me
Mar 26th, 2007 at 12:46pm

Hi, I'm new.  I'll have more q's shortly but for the moment this is what happened and what I hope to find out about.

I have a multiboot drive, part'd to 8 with 4 OS.   It's now mounted as a slave.  I had it as master when I had the problem I'll describe but the issue I want to know about now appears in its slave configuration.

Briefly, I had wanted to do an xp install with ghost to one of the parts.   I'm in school and was using an OS from a server, an OS that is used there.  I had thought that I could choose the partition to image to but it saw only the whole drive and not the parts, so I stopped it but lost bootup as apparently the MBR got changed.  I thought I may have lost everything so mounted it as a slave, and everything is still there, so I access what I want from the new master.  I have been told that it's very difficult and expensive to try to repair the MBR so it boots properly again.   In the heat of the moment I used a small drive as master so I could check things, and 'explore' shows all the drives on the slave, and in the order they were originally.    

I wanted a larger master so I put one in with the same copy of XP as the small drive I had before, again an image,  and now I still show all slave drives/partitions, but the order is reversed!  If it matters, I did the imaging to the masters with the slave off both times.

So; what I want, is to end up with
a. the new master part'd into 3 (now 1)
b. two of the drives on the slave saved, (maybe ghosted to another drive) repartition it, and reimage those saved drives to the correct place so paths work, although they seem to work now anyway.  
If I'm totally out in space please let me know.
Thanks

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: 'gotcha' in old forums got me
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:29pm

you can select an individual partition as destination, but you need to select (if you're using ghost 2003 .. you didn't say which version you're using):

local > PARTITION > from image

sounds like you may have selected:

local > DISK > from image (cuz that would make only disks and not partitions viewable as destination.

also "DISK" images will contain MBR data.

did you image the partition or disk (on the source)?

what version of ghost?

if you post a copy of the contents of your boot.ini file here, we may be able to see where you're at.

the boot.ini file is normally located on the primary master drive. if you move that drive to slave, you can have trouble booting to different O/S'es.

windows-only O/S'es, or Linux also?

i'm a little confused at as to exactly what you did and where you want to go.

IP Logged

jerryc
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:50pm

The ghost version that started all this was on a cd that someone made at school.   They use it for imaging new drives sometimes.   I don't know which version it is but can check.  I did not make that image.   When I first tried to use it, I had thought it would give me the choice you say, which partition, but it didn't and only showed the whole drive.   That's why I captioned this thread as 'gotcha' which I read in the 'old forums', that thread seemed exactly what happened to me.
  At that point I stopped it, as I said that drive, now a slave, will not boot; well, it sorta will to 98 which is on the first part, and now is the last part, see first post, but it doesn't really run, basic settings sorta like safemode, and many things not visible.
Only win OS's.  I had wanted to have a drive for linux but abandoned that, may use a different comp.
To get to boot ini on the first, now slave drive, I'll have to try that later.
Thanks.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 10:27pm

if you didn't make the image yourself, you're at a big disadvantage.

i would never restore an image i didn't make myself.

sounds like they might have made an image of the entire disk.

did you stop the image before or after it started restoring?

if so, how did you stop it?

if you didn't begin the restore, it shouldn't affect anything.

if you move a primary-master (which normally contains the boot.ini) that would affect your ability to boot.

IP Logged

jerryc
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 10:34am

"if you didn't begin the restore, it shouldn't affect anything."
It did.  I stopped it before it started restoring, when I saw that it didn't have any partition options.
It then didn't boot, and will not boot if it's mounted as a master.  The current slave configuration is so that I can access what's on it.

IP Logged

jerryc
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 10:40am

One of the first posts I saw, the other day, was about this same issue and seemed to be exactly what had happened to me.  Now I can't find that post, maybe because the forums have just changed.   It was in the old forums on the first page, and had the word 'gotcha' in it, was about not having selected 'partition' I think when making the image, so when restoring it went only to the whole drive.
But now I can't find it.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2007 at 10:48am

well the old forums are still there:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi

but all the old post have been imported here to the new forum.

and *both* forums have robust search features.

you could (easily) search for the word "gotcha".

just make sure to change the default time period to go back more than 7 days.

stopping a restore once it has started is bad. i coach folks to double- and triple check everything before clicking the "okay" button to begin the restore:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_3.htm

.. and to exit out and get help if something doesn't look quite right.

IP Logged

jerryc
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2007 at 1:35am

You know, I searched and searched, and I couldn't find that post.  I've looked through many pages.  That's why I referred to the old forums as I had already searched, and I thought it must be stuck somewhere.   Odd, as it's the post that got me to join as it seemed to explain exactly what happened.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print