Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Show the last 25 posts (Read 25294 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Show the last 25 posts
Reply #15 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:51pm

El_Pescador wrote on Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:07pm:
can you arrange for more liberal settings for moderators doing archival research when responding to inquires - also for maximum time frame and in maximum number of 'hits'?

regarding max time, i see, listed under the drop-down menu for:

"This post was made in the last..."

week
month
three months
year
(all posts)

do you not have these options? (listed in the search function):

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=search

regarding max number of search returns, the folks at YaBB forums (makers of the software) advise against cranking with the max search results, claiming it stresses the server.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 1:44pm

Rad

Rad wrote on Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:51pm:
regarding max time, i see, listed under the drop-down menu for:

"This post was made in the last..."

week
month
three months
year
(all posts)

do you not have these options? (listed in the search function):

I have that function--but now it begs the question--how can having the search for the *last 5, 10, 15, or 99999 posts* available in the *Profile* page stress the server any more than having the *all posts* in the regular search function page?!

I think the YaBB forum guy may be *blowing smoke* and either doesn't know what he's talking about, i.e. doesn't really *stress the server*--doesn't know the details about their own software because their software has such a search function built-in already (didn't the previous version have the *all-posts* function included under the *Profile* page listing for a member as per Brian requesting adding that option--were there server problems in the old software usage?--or, their software has a *bad* function included if in fact this function does stress the server if such a search is allowed!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 1:52pm

good question, altho the obvious is that the time filter does not afect the number of *returns* (as does the "99999" option).

i am not an expert on the search function (by any means), but it seems one part is looking (for phrases used over a certain, specified period of time), while the other is returning (results).

seems, to me, it would be easier to search for posts of ONE MEMBER .. than those of ALL members, no?

Maybe that's what he was getting confused.

if you search the posts of ALL members .. for ALL time, and give a LARGE number of returns .. seems that would be the most difficult .. for the server to handle.

if you consider google .. the search gurus, they default to 10 RETURNS, yet search the entries of MANY "members" (so to speak) .. using a zillion servers/computers.

i don't know.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 8:00pm

Rad wrote on Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:51pm:
"...'This post was made in the last...'

week
month
three months
year
(all posts)..."

I have all of the above, but my squawk remains the maximum of 15 in "Display how many results?".  An exceedingly obvious way to reduce any drain on resources is to revive the "latest-to-earliest" feature of days
gone by, i.e., START search at '365' days back / STOP search upon reaching '1095' days back.

I have tried searching just my own posts for known words and phrases with very erratic results.

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 7:51am

Rad, any chance of increasing the "Show the last  ....  posts made by ...." again? I like the 9999 option. That way I can save all the posts of certain members on a single web page and search through this page.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #20 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 1:21pm

Brian

Done!

Let's see how things go with the larger setting again.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #21 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 6:27pm

Besides the "Show the last ... posts made by ..." can the "Display how many results?" field on the Search icon also be increased from 15 to some larger value?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #22 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 9:25am

Ghost4me

Doubled it to *30*--is that a good number? 

I think that setting is going to be the one that taxes the server--it will take longer for the system to respond with the list--is that too many?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #23 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 11:20am

NightOwl wrote on Apr 29th, 2007 at 9:25am:
Doubled it to *30*--is that a good number?  I think that setting is going to be the one that taxes the server--it will take longer for the system to respond with the list--is that too many?

I thought it would allow you to choose a number up to but not exceeding 30; similar to the
"post in the last ...".
So, I agree that 30 is too many as a default.

Ideally, it should be programmed to give you the first 15 results, then ask, "Display the next 15 search results?".  But the yabb isn't coded that way.

Thanks for trying.  Given the design, then 15 is a good balance at results vs. server overload.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #24 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 12:03pm

Ghost4me

Apparently that setting only effects the display when using the regular search function--doesn't effect the display when clicking on the the *Show the last xx posts made by 'user name'.* on the user's profile page.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print