Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How Many PCs can I Install Ghost on? (Read 31657 times)
AndyT
N00b

I Love Radified!

San Francisco

How Many PCs can I Install Ghost on?
Mar 30th, 2007 at 2:23pm

Hello, new member here. I have 4 computers in my home for family use and was wondering how many copies of Ghost 10 and or Save/Restore I need to buy. I am more familiar with the Norton AV products as it lists explicitly on the box and the web how many PCs you can install per copy. Can some one help? Thanks.

-Andy

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: How Many PCs can I Install Ghost on?
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 2:52pm

Andy,

According to the Ghost 10 User Manual
Quote:
You may:
A. use one copy of the Software on a single
computer.

I believe though you can contact Symantec about multiple license discounts.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 3:31pm

AndyT wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 2:23pm:
Hello, new member here. I have 4 computers in my home for family use and was wondering how many copies of Ghost 10 and or Save/Restore I need to buy. I am more familiar with the Norton AV products as it lists explicitly on the box and the web how many PCs you can install per copy. Can some one help? Thanks.

-Andy

Just get one copy of NG10 and you can do all your backups from one CD. You do not need to install Ghost on any machine.
Rama

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 3:52pm

Rama wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 3:31pm:
Just get one copy of NG10 and you can do all your backups from one CD. You do not need to install Ghost on any machine.

I thought the llicense agreement doesn't say anything about install or not.  You can only USE it on one.  (Similar to one license of XP can only be used on one pc.)

Quote:
You may: A. use one copy of the Software on a single computer.

Do you mean you can buy one license and then use it on 4 (or 40) pc's?

IP Logged

AndyT
N00b

I Love Radified!

San Francisco

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 6:50pm

Hello Ghost4Me and Rama, now I am confused. Is it one installed copy per one installed computer? Thanks.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 8:28pm

"... I have 4 computers in my home for family use and was wondering how many copies of Ghost 10 and or Save/Restore I need to buy..."

"... Just get one copy of NG10 and you can do all your backups from one CD. You do not need to install Ghost on any machine..."

John. wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 3:52pm:
"... Do you mean you can buy one license and then use it on 4 (or 40) pc's?..."

AndyT wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 6:50pm:
"... now I am confused. Is it one installed copy per one installed computer?..."

View the image below to realize that the source of your confusion may boil down to either "walking-on-the-dark-side (hot-imaging)" or "walking-on-the-bright-side (cold-imaging)".

Should you decide to go the "hot-imaging" route with either Norton Ghost 10.0, Norton Save & Restore, or Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier, I would think that you will have to activate them with a 25-character Product Key.  It seems to me that this would tie one license to one PC.

On the other hand, one can readily bypass any and all product activation or registration procedures by simply using the installation CDs from either Norton Ghost 10.0 or Norton Save & Restore - plus the Symantec Recovery Disk included with Norton SystemWorks 2006 Premier - to boot up into what is called the Windows XP Preinstallation Environment.  From there, one can immediately engage the legacy Backup/Restore "cold-imaging" procedures by following the path
'Recover > Recover Data on My Computer > Recover using a legacy Ghost image'
.  Doing so will yield the side benefit of bypassing both USB mass-storage device and - most, if not all - SATA HDD glitches frequently encountered with DOS-dependent Norton Ghost 2003.  In essence, this procedure uses
restoreghost.exe
(an alternate name for
ghost32.exe
) to allow both immediate creation of Ghost Backup images or the converse Recovery of such images that are in fact totally compatible and interchangeable with those *.gho/*.ghs files created with the
ghost.exe
of Norton Ghost 2003 -
but not with those files created with Norton Ghost 9, Norton Ghost 10.0, or Norton Save & Restore during "hot-imaging".

If you really want to get downright fancy, you could even go so far as to incorporate the essential components of the "cold-imaging" Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 while generating a bootable BartPE or Reatogo-X-PE CD to run in the Windows XP Preinstalled Environment (see below).

CLICK HERE and then again HERE to appreciate how Mail-In Rebates for Symantec products allow me to place the concomitant licensed product alongside nearly a dozen PCs either under my roof or under my aegis across three southern states DESPITE THE FACT THAT WE NEVER ACTIVATE NOR REGISTER SAID PRODUCTS AS WE USE THEIR ELEMENTS IN REATOGO-X-PE CDs AS ACTIVE COUNTERPARTS TO NORTON GHOST 2003.   After all, it does not pay in the long run to ever get "crossways" with the telephone company, the Coca-Cola company nor with Symantec Smiley

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2007 at 11:35pm

El_Pescador wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 8:28pm:
"... I have 4 computers in my home for family use and was wondering how many copies of Ghost 10 and or Save/Restore I need to buy..."

"... Just get one copy of NG10 and you can do all your backups from one CD. You do not need to install Ghost on any machine..."

John. wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 3:52pm:
"... Do you mean you can buy one license and then use it on 4 (or 40) pc's?..."

AndyT wrote on Mar 30th, 2007 at 6:50pm:
"... now I am confused. Is it one installed copy per one installed computer?..."

After all, it does not pay in the long run to ever get "crossways" with the telephone company, the Coca-Cola company nor with Symantec Smiley

EP
Cry

I fully agree. When I mentioned about one copy, I had in mind to create one BartPE CD and use it with all my computers as needed. The ghost program just resides in one CD and as when needed I can use the CD to store or retrieve images. So you do not have to install the NG10 in any computer.  Hope this should clarify my suggestion.
Rama

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 12:58am

AndyT

Quote:
was wondering how many copies of Ghost 10 and or Save/Restore I need to buy

Legally--one license for each system Ghost is used on--either installed, or the program is used to create and/or restore images to and from a given system.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 2:15pm

Quote:
"Character is how you behave when no one is looking."

Robert Coles

NightOwl wrote on Mar 31st, 2007 at 12:58am:
"... Legally--one license for each system Ghost is used on--either installed, or the program is used to create and/or restore images to and from a given system..."

"... On the other hand, one can readily bypass any and all product activation or registration procedures..."

The one detail I managed to overlook - which renders my quote immediately above less than accurate - was that of the Ghost DiskID which definitely applies with Norton Ghost 2003 and quite possibly with the other "cold-imaging" products.  I suppose we need an opinion from New Zealand for the latter.

CLICK HERE for lively commentary on license requirements and related issues such as DiskIDs.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 2:37pm

"... On the other hand, one can readily bypass any and all product activation or registration procedures..."

I don't understand what all the concern and discussion here is.  AndyT asked a simple question,
Quote:
"how many PCs you can install per copy."

NightOwl gave a very simple answer
Quote:
"... Legally--one license for each system Ghost is used on--either installed, or the program is used to create and/or restore images to and from a given system..."

Is this a forum for
Ghost support
or for
Warez
information?

I see it as simple:  If you want to use Ghost on 4 pc's, you need 4 legal licenses.  If you have 24 pc's, you need 24 legal licenses.

If you have $1 in your checking account, you can't write a check for $4.  It's that simple.

I don't think the Rad Forum and posters should be encouraging piracy, stealing, or dissemination of information on how to do that, whether it is with cd's, diskettes, BartPE, Reatogo-X-PE etc etc.  We shouldn't be providing information on robbing banks, blowing up buildings, or other illegal activities.  Period.  Regardless of whether some other people do that.

We should try to be good world citizens.  (not trying to flame, just my 2 cents here)

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 6:47pm

John. wrote on Mar 31st, 2007 at 2:37pm:
Is this a forum for
Ghost support
or for
Warez
information?

I'd say that's an overreaction - I'm impressed by El_Pescador's diligence in finding people ways for people to get perfectly legal licenses. If parts of the company provide loopholes where he can get the product for cheap or even free, that's completely legitimate.

The only thing that has gone wrong in this thread is the belief that licensing or activation procedures are important, because they aren't really. The licensing or activation procedures aren't where the license relationship which lets you use the code is created (that happens when you pay the license fee). Instead, they are there for different reasons, such as to discourage casual piracy and remove a defense of ignorance of the license terms. Bypassing a license screen doesn't eliminate the copyright on the code itself - and thus, the need for a license.

[ There's a separate argument to be had about licenses where the terms aren't available to the purchasing party until after you have paid a fee, but let's please not go there. ]

Incidentally, I think it's worth noting that the new Norton 360 product includes a backup feature, and that it has the same three-computer "home" license model as NAV has used (here's a CNET review). I've not got a chance to play with that myself yet because of my workload, but I do think that the three-machine "home" licenses for the consumer products are a good thing.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 7:35pm

"... We should try to be good world citizens.  (not trying to flame, just my 2 cents here)..."

I thoroughly concur, and take no offense from your remarks.

This is not a recommendation, but instead a simple and accurate observation as outlined below.

"... I don't understand what all the concern and discussion here is.  AndyT asked a simple question..."

In truth and in fact, his simple question does not have a simple answer for when you consider the fact that I personally have bought retail boxed copies of Ghost on the order of two Ghost 9s, five Ghost 10s, and two Norton Search & Restore in addition to a few others by friends and family in my overall circle across Louisiana, Mississippi and Florida only to have ONLY ONE COPY of those "hot-imaging" Norton Ghost products enumerated above to have ever been activated - and even it was taken out service permanently in less than a week.

All across our tristate circle - with each household having two or more PCs - Norton Ghost 2003 is our lingua franca.  While the Ghost 9/10 products had extra Ghost v2003 CDs, the overwhelming majority of our licenses were derived from OEM copies of Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional which I literally bought dozens in bulk @ $7.00 with free shipping.  Today, the Norton Ghost 9/10 and Save & Restore CDs are on file alongside PCs where they serve - silently, uninstalled, unactivated and unregistered - so as to legitimize the Norton Ghost Ver 8.2 plugins of the Reatogo-X-PE bootable CDs instantly at hand which serve as alternates to Norton Ghost 2003 already installed onboard.

"... Is this a forum for
Ghost support
or for
Warez
information?...  I don't think the Rad Forum and posters should be encouraging piracy, stealing, or dissemination of information on how to do that, whether it is with cd's, diskettes, BartPE, Reatogo-X-PE etc ..."

Since I do value your opinion - and have long been an admirer of your contributions to these boards - I beg of you to be exceedingly specific of what practices are kosher and what practices are unsuitable for these boards.  I, for one, will take your commentary into very close consideration.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 7:59pm

Quote:
"... The only thing that has gone wrong in this thread is the belief that licensing or activation procedures are important, because they aren't really. The licensing or activation procedures aren't where the license relationship which lets you use the code is created (that happens when you pay the license fee). Instead, they are there for different reasons, such as to discourage casual piracy and remove a defense of ignorance of the license terms. Bypassing a license screen doesn't eliminate the copyright on the code itself - and thus, the need for a license..."

The one detail I managed to overlook - which renders my quote immediately above less than accurate - was that of the Ghost DiskID which definitely applies with Norton Ghost 2003 and quite possibly with the other "cold-imaging" products.

So, I hereby petition our friend from New Zealand for either confirmation or denial that the Ghost DiskID feature of v2003 is continued into Ghost Corporate 8.0, GSS 1.0, GSS 1.1 and GSS 2.0 Smiley

EP
Cry

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 8:41pm

I obviously stated my previous post too strongly.  I've cooled down now.    Sad

I think I was reacting to previous threads on mostly other boards where someone will say "How can I use my 1 copy of Ghost" on 4 or 5 or 20 pc's?"  Sometimes the answer is to make boot-diskettes (Ghost 2003) or use the Ghost 10 Recovery CD only, but use it on all 20 pc's in the cold-imaging mode.  That way you don't have to activate, and since you can activate Ghost 10 on only 1 pc, no one will know.

While BartPE, ubcd4win, and others, are legitimately (and what a life saver they can be!) used for offline technician repairs, they are also used to abuse vendor licenses, by adding plugins that aren't licensed for the pc that they are used on.

The poster never wants to know about volume licensing discounts or the Enterprise versions of the products and their costs.  Only, how can I get away with buying one and using it on all my pc's?  Vendors such as Symantec and Microsoft and others created "activation" technology to marry the software to one pc for a reason:  registration and serial numbers weren't doing the job of protecting their software.

I applaud El_Pescador for pointing out all the discounts available.  We should all take advantage of them.  I always send in my rebate forms.  I track them and I've followed up (and gotten) a legitimate rebate after being denied it a couple times.

Maybe a fence-straddling position which I am advocating (now that I have cooled down), is to determine what the purpose of the poster or what question is, and act and answer accordingly and responsively.

So, for AndyT, my answer would be the same as NightOwl's:
Quote:
Legally--one license for each system Ghost is used on--either installed, or the program is used to create and/or restore images to and from a given system.

I like the NAV 2007 (and other vendor's) models that provide 3-license packages.  Now a days, most homes (especially with school age children) have 2 or 3 computers easily.

And I appreciate and value the opinions of everyone here as well.  (Sorry I was too off-the-wild-end!)

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

until you get burned.

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 11:02pm

Quote:
Is this a forum for
Ghost support
or for
Warez
information?

I'd say that's an overreaction - I'm impressed by El_Pescador's diligence in finding people ways for people to get perfectly legal licenses. If parts of the company provide loopholes where he can get the product for cheap or even free, that's completely legitimate.

Let add my .02. The classic model I personally like is what Intuit did with Quicken program when it was first introduced. It was inexpensive to purchase so that there was incentive for every user to purchase a copy and it made the company and its founding employees very rich.

The other model which met with a lot of resistance from customers - students and casual users was Lotus 1-2-3. The program was selling for $300 and most students & other casual users could not afford it. In every campus students had copies with the validation code broken into & many casual users also had similar copies.

When Microsoft launched their academic program, access to students was made affordable so everyone had a legit copy. So I feel that companies have an obligation to price their products so that it motivates customers to own legit copies. All other means of controlling, such as activation, can always be circumvented by a talented determined individual.  Once companies make it difficult or very expensive to own a program, there is bound to be users who end up using copies which are no legit. This does not help anyone in the long run.
Rama Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print