Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
How Many PCs can I Install Ghost on? (Read 31746 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: How Many PCs can I Install Ghost on?
Reply #30 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 8:58pm

Rama wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 7:57pm:
"... If one never installs NG10 on a computer, but uses the recovery cd to generate a ghost image, would it be ok to use the same cd to image three different computers..."

Rama -

It would be wise to specify exactly which aspect of the Norton Ghost 10.0 Recovery CD do you wish
Raj-Ghost-Guru to address for you - the "hot-imaging" Norton Ghost 10.0 element marketed for the consumer or the "cold-imaging" derivatives of Ghost Version 8.2 from the corporate world (see below) Roll Eyes

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #31 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 9:22pm

El_Pescador

*KISS* principle (keep it simple stupid!)--purchase one copy of Ghost--any flavor--use it any way that is available on one system--be it installing it on the system, booting from the installation CD, placing it on BartPE or Reatogo-X-PE CD, creating your own custom boot utility CD disc--you name it!  

If Symantec tosses in a second Ghost program with the purchase of Ghost 10--i.e. Ghost 2003 installation CD--I'm betting they would technically say you still have purchased only one license--and you choose which version of Ghost you wish to use legally on one system--if you have a second system--purchase a second copy of Ghost so you have a license for each system!

I think every other permutation of the options is just making excuses!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #32 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 9:51pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 1st, 2007 at 8:57pm:
Rama

It's really a simple concept--3-4 computers--the math is one-to-one--3-4 licenses!!!!!

I understand.  The reason I posted the msg was to elicit a response from the Guru from Symantec. I would still like to see a response from him.

/me  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #33 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 11:22pm

Rama

Quote:
I would still like to see a response from him.

But....he already did respond!--How Many PCs can I Install Ghost on?

Quote:
Norton Ghost 10.0 is a single user license version, You can use it on only one computer at a time .

So, you have two computers--you use your *uninstalled* Ghost 10 installation CD to create images of computer A.  But now you want to use it on computer B.  I know what you are trying to weasel out of what he said--you're going to say because it's not installed, it's only being used on one computer at a time.

Well, I will agree--but, only if you destroy all images made of computer A first--because those images constitute continued use of that first copy of Ghost--so until you destroy those, if you now use that same single licensed copy of Ghost on the second system--that's a violation of your single license agreement!

The math remains the same--one license--one computer!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Raj-Ghost-Guru
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 12:01am

Yes , We can use NG 10.0 Recovery CD to create images but the images would'nt be .v2i image ( which is of NG 10.0) . They would be in .gho image format   ( which is of NG 2003 ).

Creating images using NG 10.0 CD is nothing but  creating a NG2003 image which is a older version. Grin

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 8:04am

El_Pescador wrote on Mar 31st, 2007 at 7:59pm:
confirmation or denial that the Ghost DiskID feature of v2003 is continued into Ghost Corporate 8.0, GSS 1.0, GSS 1.1 and GSS 2.0 Smiley

It's in there, since the corporate version needs the same basic facility - in the console tasks you can specify a cloning operation using Windows drive letters and tries very very hard to make sure that it resolves the Windows volumes to the right thing in DOS. It's not the identifier of first resort any more, but it's still floating around in the code.

Taking out anything from a software product is always hard, because even if it's actively harmful it's hard to prove that you have found everything that depends on the thing you're removing. Case in point being the legacy Ghost.env registration system - we all hate that code with a passion because it's overly complex, it was never particularly secure anyway, it's a nightmare for installation, it serves no useful purpose for licensing any more, and with Ghost32 it was interfering with logo requirements to use code signing.

But, it turns out the original Ghost license key code (created in the 4.x timeframe from memory, which attaches some stuff to the executable) years ago had an extra function added to it; to allow people to stuff additional Ghost parameters into the .ENV files used for licensing, and that capability eventually grew into the OEM customization kit. So, it lives on... because as annoying as it is, it's deeply entangled with a documented feature we know people use.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #36 - Apr 2nd, 2007 at 9:08am

Rama, concerning Reply #23, what command-line switches are you referencing?  There are no such switches with Norton Ghost 10, to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

fletch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #37 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 5:10pm

Hey thanks a Million! for your tip I have been trying for 2-3 days now to get ghost 10 to do a simple image creation and restore with one road block after another. It would restore just fine, only it refused to resize. My staff had an older copy (2003) so I tried that and all looked good until about 10 min ago but I never could get the boot cd to load the DOS USB drives (ver 1 or 2) as it would lock up everytime. I just stumbled on your message and VOL LA! For the first time it appears to be restoring and resizing..I won't know for sure for another hour or so far so good.

regards,
Fletch

Fletch Bowling

IP Logged

AndyT
N00b

I Love Radified!

San Francisco

Reply #38 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 6:02pm

Hey Guys, thanks to all of you. I got the answer now. It is just for my family computers (4) and this was very informative!

AndyT Smiley

IP Logged

fletch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #39 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 6:07pm

fletch wrote on Apr 4th, 2007 at 5:10pm:
Hey thanks a Million! for your tip I have been trying for 2-3 days now to get ghost 10 to do a simple image creation and restore with one road block after another. It would restore just fine, only it refused to resize. My staff had an older copy (2003) so I tried that and all looked good until about 10 min ago but I never could get the boot cd to load the DOS USB drives (ver 1 or 2) as it would lock up everytime. I just stumbled on your message and VOL LA! For the first time it appears to be restoring and resizing..I won't know for sure for another hour or so far so good.

regards,
Fletch

Thanks to El_Pescador and his tip in message #5 our system is now up and the drive is resized to the full 300mb .

regards, Fletch

Fletch Bowling

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print