Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ghost 10 won't resize even to larger drive (Read 14411 times)
fletch
Dude

I Love Radified!

ghost 10 won't resize even to larger drive
Apr 3rd, 2007 at 1:02pm

Hello,
I have a new machine with an 70 gig drive that I have replaced with a 300 gig drive. I created an image with ghost 10 and now I find 10 is incapable of restoring to a larger size drive!!! The first time I let the wizard do the restore and it restored at 70 gigs and left the rest as free space. So I figured it just wasn't much of a wizard so I tried manual restore. I did see an option for resize but it's grayed out (like maybe a feature for the next release). I then booted with a windows cd so I could delete and create a larger partition. Now it *almost* works but then I get an error that source and destination can't be the same (of course not and I have no idea why it's giving this false error). This software is seriously flawed as even the much older ('94 or '95) versions of partition magic/disk image could resize partitions with some restrictions. Speaking of which, any chance an older version of PM/DI can read my ghost 10 image ? Or any other 3rd party software (open source or commercial)  that can resize?

Thanks, Fletch

Fletch Bowling

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: ghost 10 won't resize even to larger drive
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 1:13pm

i don't use ghost 10 myself (preferring ghost 2003), but this has been done many times.

i think you're making a small error somewhere. some of the ghost 10 gurus should be able to steer your straight.

what makes you say this?:

Quote:
and now I find 10 is incapable of restoring to a larger size drive!!!

what are you doing to get this error?

Quote:
error that source and destination can't be the same

IP Logged

fletch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 1:34pm

I got that error by deleting the 70 gig partition, creating a new one and attempting to restore to the larger partition. It's a false error for sure. DI could restore to a larger partition with no problems. I am attempting to restore with the wizard now although it appears all it can do is restore the same size 70gig drive. If I can get my data back I will try to do a manual backup and restore. If that doesn't work I will pull out an old version of DI, assuming we still have it and give that a try. I know at one time my staff had older versions of ghost. Is 2003 a sure bet (that it can resize) ?

Thanks, Fletch

Fletch Bowling

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 1:48pm

fletch wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 1:34pm:
I got that error by deleting the 70 gig partition, creating a new one and attempting to restore to the larger partition. I

Ghost 10 restore creates the partition for you.  Don't pre-create it.  So for now (assuming you are restoring to a new disk) delete all partitions on the new drive and start over.

Usually I use the Emergency Rescue boot CD of Ghost 10 (your Ghost 10 install cd) to do restore operations.  The expand partition shouldn't be greyed out.  Maybe is you run from the CD, it won't be.

I have Partition Magic 8 myself so when or if I don't get the partitions the right size I want, I use PM8 to resize them.  But I agree that is a needed feature for Ghost 9 and 10.  I have read the Vista disk management has partition resizing as a feature.  Yea!

Does your original 70gb drive have only 1 partition on it, or more than 1?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

fletch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 2:24pm

Ok I have been using the CD to do the restore as the new drive, is well  a new drive with nothing on it till I did the first recovery. As far as the original 70 gig drive goes, I believe there was a tiny partition for recovery (lenovo thnkcentre pc), but to the best of my knowledge, it was not backed up.

To be honest, I have never used ghost before and have been using DI since the days that you had to manually create your own dos-network boot disk (for both netware 3.x and dos-nt-samba) so all this automatic stuff is pretty annoying to me (because it never works!). Ghost actually called me on the phone like 11-14 years ago when they were overseas and went under the name of binary research. Under that company it seems like they made a decent product back then-pretty much neck and neck with DI (which had just come out) but I had just bought DI so I stayed with them.

Anyway, it looks like I have about 1 hour to go before I see what happens...

tnx, Fletch

Fletch Bowling

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 2:33pm

fletch wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 2:24pm:
Ok I have been using the CD to do the restore as the new drive, is well  a new drive with nothing on it till I did the first recovery. As far as the original 70 gig drive goes, I believe there was a tiny partition for recovery (lenovo thnkcentre pc), but to the best of my knowledge, it was not backed up.

So you re-deleted any partitions it before retrying?

The reason I asked about any other partitions is that if the main XP (I assume) partition is physically the 2nd partition on the drive, you have to adjust the boot.ini settings to correctly point the boot process to that one.  Fortunately there is a Edit boot.ini utility in Ghost 10 recovery CD option.

I was a long time user of Drive Image (from Powerquest) before it was bought out by Symantec and then became Ghost 9.  Ghost 10 is also based on Ghost 9, which is based on DI.

There are a couple of quirks about about Ghost 9, Ghost 10, and Ghost Save & Restore.  However I will say that the number of actual bugs in the Ghost 9/10/S&R software is very small.  There is supposed to be a new version of Ghost coming soon that will support Vista.  I'm hopeful that it will have added some of the usability features as well.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 2:43pm

Here's a sample boot.ini so you can verify yours:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Note, partition(1).  Your old might be different, but the new one should be (1) if it is the only partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:01pm

fletch,

I assume you are using WinXP. How many partitions do you have on your 70 GB HD? Have a look at the graphic in Disk Management and let us know in what order they appear and how large is each partition. How much free space do you have in your C: drive?

Is the 300 GB HD installed as a second internal HD or is it an external HD? Where is the C: drive backup image (recovery point) stored? I'm confused as to where you had the two HDs when you did the restore.

IP Logged

fletch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:42pm

So you re-deleted any partitions it before retrying?

No I tried to force it on a larger ntfs partition that I created with the windows CD. The dang thing must have still seen residue of the old partition as I just came back from lunch and saw windows back up and running but still on a 70 gig size partition. Going on memory but I think takes linux FDISK to really get rid of a partition. This new machine has no floppy so I will have to make a bootable linux cd to wipe the drive clean.  Any ideas on how to force ghost to resize? Now may be the time to see if my staff has an older version..ok they are out but I might dig thru their office a bit and see what I can find before I do anything else.

tnx, Fletch

The reason I asked about any other partitions is that if the main XP (I assume) partition is physically the 2nd partition on the drive, you have to adjust the boot.ini settings to correctly point the boot process to that one.  Fortunately there is a Edit boot.ini utility in Ghost 10 recovery CD option.

I was a long time user of Drive Image (from Powerquest) before it was bought out by Symantec and then became Ghost 9.  Ghost 10 is also based on Ghost 9, which is based on DI.

There are a couple of quirks about about Ghost 9, Ghost 10, and Ghost Save & Restore.  However I will say that the number of actual bugs in the Ghost 9/10/S&R software is very small.  There is supposed to be a new version of Ghost coming soon that will support Vista.  I'm hopeful that it will have added some of the usability features as well.
[/quote]

Fletch Bowling

IP Logged

fletch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:58pm

Ok here is what I have, and it looks like ghost was damn determined not to resize:

On the 300 gig drive I have 127g D drive on the first partition(unformated) C is 70 gig windows and about 100 gig of free space after that.

How much space free on C drive 358 megs..that is the reason for the new size and why I want to resize it.

As far as drive arrangements go:

I removed the original 70 gig drive after I backed it up.. I backed it up on a 1 Terebyte usb drive that was partitioned with about 600gigs on ntfs and the rest on fat32. When I originally ran ghost the wizard kicked in and wanted to backup c and E. there is nothing much on E so I let it run. E is the fat32 gig partition on the USB drive. Ghost stored the image on the NTFS partition of the USB drive.

All I was trying to do was restore the image to the new 300gig drive and resize to fill it...just like DI could  do with no problems.

Now that the system is up it can no longer see the usb drive, not sure what's up with that

tnx, Fletch

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 3:01pm:
fletch,

I assume you are using WinXP. How many partitions do you have on your 70 GB HD? Have a look at the graphic in Disk Management and let us know in what order they appear and how large is each partition. How much free space do you have in your C: drive?

Is the 300 GB HD installed as a second internal HD or is it an external HD? Where is the C: drive backup image (recovery point) stored? I'm confused as to where you had the two HDs when you did the restore.

Fletch Bowling

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 4:25pm

fletch,

Quote:
How much space free on C drive 358 megs..that is the reason for the new size and why I want to resize it.

Then you were lucky that you could even create a backup image. That's less than 1% free space. Whew.

Quote:
On the 300 gig drive I have 127g D drive on the first partition(unformated)

How did that happen? Do you want that partition there?

Quote:
Now that the system is up it can no longer see the usb drive, not sure what's up with that

Is that from Windows or from the Ghost 10 recovery environment CD?

Quote:
All I was trying to do was restore the image to the new 300gig drive and resize to fill it.

So you wanted a 300 GB C: drive on the new HD?

Do you have Partition Magic?

I'm sure we can fix your HD.

IP Logged

fletch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 5:07pm

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 4:25pm:
fletch,

Quote:

Then you were lucky that you could even create a backup image. That's less than 1% free space. Whew.

I wasn't backing up to the c drive but rather to the external usb drive

Quote:
On the 300 gig drive I have 127g D drive on the first partition(unformated)

How did that happen? Do you want that partition there?

Good question, it refused to install on the 127, skipped over it and created a 70 gig on it's own. Now the 127 was my doing..I was removing the previous install withthe xp cd and it  could not create a partition larger than that.

Quote:

Is that from Windows or from the Ghost 10 recovery environment CD?

That was from windows..however I got it going again...

Quote:
All I was trying to do was restore the image to the new 300gig drive and resize to fill it.

So you wanted a 300 GB C: drive on the new HD?

Yes..something that used to be very simple to do Smiley

Do you have Partition Magic?

yes and no..yes an older version, but we have not found it as of yet. However we did find 2003 so I am giving that a shot now. It seems less intrusive than 10...so I already like the looks of it better.

I won't know till tommorow as it looks like it's going to take awhile. I will post what I find tommorow.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions,
Fletch

I'm sure we can fix your HD.

Fletch Bowling

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 6:11pm

fletch wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 5:07pm:
Good question, it refused to install on the 127, skipped over it and created a 70 gig on it's own. Now the 127 was my doing..I was removing the previous install with the xp cd and it  could not create a partition larger than that.

If you can't create a partition larger than 127 gb, then you probably have an older BIOS that does not support large hard drives.  Check the lenovo website for a bios update and instructions on how to update yours.

Or maybe you're using an older FDISK or older partitioning software which won't create partitions larger than 127 gb.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 7:06pm

IP Logged

fletch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 1:34pm

I was thinking because it's not sp2 cd I used but you could be right. This is a brand new machine-core2 duo and it had no problems seeing the entire 1 terebyte drive so think the bios is ok.

I am just finding out that 03 only creates bootable floppies so It looks like I am going to have to work  out this issue before I can go further. The images are all there from last night so I will test it soon as I can figure out how to  trick 03 into writting to a CD/DVD.

John. wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 6:11pm:
fletch wrote on Apr 3rd, 2007 at 5:07pm:
Good question, it refused to install on the 127, skipped over it and created a 70 gig on it's own. Now the 127 was my doing..I was removing the previous install with the xp cd and it  could not create a partition larger than that.

If you can't create a partition larger than 127 gb, then you probably have an older BIOS that does not support large hard drives.  Check the lenovo website for a bios update and instructions on how to update yours.

Or maybe you're using an older FDISK or older partitioning software which won't create partitions larger than 127 gb.

Fletch Bowling

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print