HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Different laptops (Read 3676 times)
brewski
Ex Member

Different laptops
Apr 4th, 2007 at 8:54pm

I've been asked to ghost an older laptop to a newer laptop.
Laptop A (older): xp pro sp1
Laptop B (newer): xp pro sp2

Is it possible, without spending a few weeks, to grab the data and programs from laptop A and move them to laptop b using Ghost 10??

Thanks.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Different laptops
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 11:26pm

Quote:
Is it possible, without spending a few weeks, to grab the data and programs from laptop A and move them to laptop b using Ghost 10??

brewski,

It's a specialized task. Getting data off the first laptop using Windows Explorer is easy. Image/Restore may or may not work depending on the "difference" between the laptops.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1136486359

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1146045354

IP Logged

brewski
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 5:41am

Thanks Brian, that was my thought, too.  When "ghosting" the drive was orgininally suggested I thought it was a great idea.  Then I saw the two laptops were entirely different and figured it would not be possible, at least in a manner that is would actually be a time saver.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 11:27am

Quote:
Thanks Brian, that was my thought, too.  When "ghosting" the drive was orgininally suggested I thought it was a great idea.  Then I saw the two laptops were entirely different and figured it would not be possible, at least in a manner that is would actually be a time saver.

Because you are creating an exact image of the original hard drive with Ghost, think of your question like this:  "Can I take the hard drive out of my Dell laptop and put it in a Sony laptop and expect it to work?"  No.  

Actually most manufacturers do not allow you to replace your pc motherboard with a different brand, and the bios code prohibits it.  For example, if your Dell desktop motherboard dies, you can't put a new Asus or other brand motherboard in and get it to work.  Note, if you have a retail box version of Windows XP you can do that, but not without a lot of work and/or reformatting and reinstalling.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print