Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost vs Norton Save & Restore (NS&R) (Read 12649 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Ghost vs Norton Save & Restore (NS&R)
Apr 15th, 2007 at 1:31pm

What are your feelings on
Ghost vs Norton Save & Restore
? .. especially now that Symantec replaced Ghost with NS&R in the Norton System Works Premier package:

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=sp&pvid=nswp

What would you recommend to your friends?

Pro's vs Con's?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost vs Norton Save & Restore
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 2:00pm

Rad

To add to the questions:

Is Norton Save & Restore compatible with Windows Vista--or is only Ghost 12 going to be compatible with Vista?

Is Ghost 12 the replacement for Norton Save & Restore--apparently Symantec wants to bring back the *Ghost* name!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 3:15pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 15th, 2007 at 2:00pm:
Is Norton Save & Restore compatible with Windows Vista--or is only Ghost 12 going to be compatible with Vista?
Is Ghost 12 the replacement for Norton Save & Restore--apparently Symantec wants to bring back the *Ghost* name!!

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/popup.jsp?popupid=faq_nsr#q2

Quote:
Is Norton Save & Restore 2.0 compatible with the new Microsoft Windows Vista™ operating system?
Yes. In addition to supporting Windows® XP, Norton Save & Restore supports all versions of the Windows Vista operating system.

Quote:
How does Norton Ghost™ 12.0 compare with Norton Save & Restore 2.0?
While Norton Ghost 12.0 and Norton Save & Restore 2.0 share much of the same functionality, such as full system (disk image) and file and folder backups, Norton Ghost 12.0 also offers remote management, LightsOut Restore, and other advanced features.

Also see last part of FAQ:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176321672/0#4

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 4:14pm

Rad, an important point to keep in mind is that if you purchase Norton Save & Restore 2.0 (NSR2), you get Norton Ghost (sans the advanced features of Norton Ghost 12 migrated from the Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery toolset).  If you purchase Norton Ghost 12 (NG12), you get the file/folder backup features of NSR2.

Thus, as I understand the situation, NG12 is a superset of NSR2 - and neither includes Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.2.  Of course, we'll need to wait until NG12 is actually released in order to confirm these insights.

Additionally, if it is now the case that Norton SystemWorks includes Norton Save & Restore 2.0, then it is highly likely that the days of purchasing Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.2 have ended (unfortunately).

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 5:02pm

Okay. Thanks.

It gets complicated. Remember the good ol' days .. when it was "Ghost or Drive Image?"

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 8:58pm

On a slightly different theme .. is the following true:

NSW Premier 2006 comes with NS&R (1.0)
NSW Premier 2007 comes with NS&R v2.0

??

I'm trying to find where it says this.

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=sp&pvid=nswp

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Re: Ghost vs Norton Save & Restore (NS&R)
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 11:41pm

Do I understand correctly that both Ghost 12 + NS&R2 can now back-up ENTIRE HARD DRIVES .. whereas before they could only back-up individual partitions?

Source:

http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/popup.jsp?popupid=faq_nsr

How does Norton Ghost™ 12.0 compare with Norton Save & Restore 2.0?

While Norton Ghost 12.0 and Norton Save & Restore 2.0 share much of the same functionality, such as full system (disk image)...

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 11:42pm

Rad wrote on Apr 15th, 2007 at 8:58pm:
"... NSW Premier 2006 comes with NS&R (1.0)..."

Norton SystemWorks Premier 2006 Installation CD has 'NortonGhostNT.msi' onboard while Norton Ghost 10.0 in turn has 'NGhost10.msi'.  With Norton Save & Restore, I am at a total loss for I cannot make "heads-or-tails" of its application identities.

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:21am

Rad, I do not know for sure whether or not NSW Premier (the current version - without a year designation) contains NSR 1.0 or NSR 2.0.  Since NSW Premier was released before NSR 2.0, I strongly suspect that to-date it has been historically packaged with NSR 1.0.  However, now that NSR 2.0 is available, it only makes sense that new copies of NSW Premier would include NSR 2.0 rather than NSR 1.0.  One way to test this would be download a trial copy of NSW Premier and check which version of NSR is present.

Having said that, also note that NSW Premier does not now support Windows Vista.  It could also be the case that NSR 2.0 will not be added to NSW Premier until the other components of NSW Premier are made compatible with Windows Vista.  Who knows how long (if ever?) that will take, given that the Norton Utilities are “ancient” and have not been significantly enhanced in many years.

With respect to “backing up entire hard drives,” I think the issue is how the word “drive” is defined in Norton Ghost 9/10/12:  a drive is a partition, not a physical unit.  So, to the best of my knowledge, you can’t create a single recovery point that includes multiple partitions, but it is quite easy to define a single backup job that automatically creates separate recovery points for multiple partitions.  Thus, from a practical perspective, the issue of backing up/restoring an “entire hard drive” is essentially addressed.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print