Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need step by step help on 8.2 (Read 18732 times)
Lexus23
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Need step by step help on 8.2
Apr 24th, 2007 at 9:59am

Hi all.  By reading this forum, I was able to better understand Ghost 10 and its ability to make Image files without an actual installation (ie: via Windows PE).

I have a Dell Dimension 8400, Win XP Pro -SPE, 2 HDD (the original from Dell - 1 large partition, and a second 400G Seagate that I installed with 4 partitions).
My OS and applications reside on the original HDD (Local C drive).

OK so using 8.2 Ghost, I made an image of my original drive and placed on my second drive (also verified it). Those of you familiar with Dell may know that the Dell drive also has 2 hidden partitions for diagnostics and factory recovery purposes (believe these are also FAT32 vs NTFS).  It appears that 8.2 made a copy of those also and included in the image file.

So, my questions are (and pls be very step by step specific in replies since I have never restored a drive in my life and have no idea what to expect):
If I ever need to put the image back onto my original drive (Dell)
1. Do I have to first delete anything currently on the drive?
2. Does the drive have to be reformated before the image is put back?
3. Does the drive have to be made the boot drive?
4. Will all the partitions be reproduced (the C: as well as the 2 hidden)?
5. Could I not put back the hidden partitions?
6. What steps do I take after reinstalling the image - just boot up?

Some appear reluctant to actually installing Ghost 10 on their system. Other than the hot vs cold imaging debate, what is/are the problems the installation causes??  Undecided

Finally, some here are familiar with PartitionMagic 8.  
1. Can this be run without installing the program on WinXP?
2  What happens to my CD (D: ) and DVD (E: ) drive letters if I created another partition on my Dell drive (C: ).  The manual seems to indicate that if created in DOS they will be reassigned, but in WinXP, I could assign say (F: ),  but if I dont install the program would I be in Windows or DOS?

Thanks for any and all insight you folks can provide.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Need step by step help on 8.2
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 10:42am

before answering, first let me say that was a good post. very clear. good questions. most posts you have to ask questions before you can answer.

1. when you restore, ghost *overwrites* everything on the destination drive/partition/disk (whatever you select). so 'no', you don't have to delete anything. tho you *could* get rid of the delll utility partition, like i did, which you won't need since you now have a ghost back-up. but then you should re-image after deleting it.

most of these answers btw are spelled out in the ghost guide:

http://ghost.radified.com/

2. no, ghost uses the formatting of the source image partition/disk. in other words, if you create an image from an ntfs drive, and restore it to a fat32 drive, the overwriten destination drive will become ntfs, since that's what it was when ghost created it.

some say with ghost 9/10 (which i don't use) it's even better NOT TO format a new drive (before restoring an image to it).

tho unnecessary, i always pre-format my partitions on *new* drives (never old, used ones) before restoring an image from a drive that died.

Gotta run for now.

I bet if you skim thru the guide, all your other questions will be answered.

I find better to image individual partitions instead of the whole disk, cuz that gives you more flexibility when restoring. ghost 9/10 ONLY can image individual partitions (not entire disk).

IP Logged

Lexus23
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 11:03am

Rad, thanks for the partial reply.

I did read through just about everything I could find here, but unlike the detail in your 2 replies, most answers assume you know certain things, or have performed actions with this program before, or do not provide the detail of what really happens when you do something.

So pls if possible continue on with responses to all my questions when you have time.

Also, how did you delete the Dell backup partitions ?

Thanks again.   Wink

PS: Regarding your comment "... ghost 9/10 ONLY can image individual partitions (not entire disk). "  are you referring to the Windows based 10?  As I am almost certain that the 8.2 included my entire disk in the image that I made with that program ?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 3:45pm

Lexus23,

I owned a Dell 8400 for 2 years. Nice machine but Dell dropped it during a service and cracked the case. They swapped it for a 9150 which is better.

My advice is to install and use Ghost 10. By all means make an image with Ghost 8.2 but you will never have to use that image. Ghost 10 is much easier.

I always delete the Dell recovery partition. It's not needed if you are using imaging software.

The Partition Magic CD is bootable. PM doesn't need to be installed. Drive letters are not a problem as you can change them in Disk Management. For example, I change my optical drives to X: and Y:

IP Logged

Lexus23
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 4:10pm

Brian, thanks for the info - however your response is what I am talking about when I request step by step info.  Pls nothing for granted as I am in new territory.  Undecided

"I always delete the Dell recovery partition. It's not needed if you are using imaging software."

OK - how specifically do you delete this partition from the boot HD? 
1. Within Windows Disk Management?
2. With PartitionMagic?  From within Windows?  From DOS Mode? (prefer not to install app).
3. Do you delete the partition, then the space becomes unallocated, then expand the C partition?

The Partition Magic CD is bootable. PM doesn't need to be installed.

"Drive letters are not a problem as you can change them in Disk Management. For example, I change my optical drives to X: and Y: "

My opticals need to stay the same as they are already registered to vars programs, so:

1. Can I force Windows to permanently assign the current drive letters, if so - specifically how?
2. I assume I would do that before booting PM from the disk (as I will not be installing)?
3. Then what?  To subdivde the Dell drive into say the existing and 1 more partition?

Thanks

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2007 at 4:25pm

Lexus23, let me be slightly specific as I'm rushed at present. More later. Ask away.

Quote:
"I always delete the Dell recovery partition. It's not needed if you are using imaging software."

OK - how specifically do you delete this partition from the boot HD? 

PM boot CD.

Quote:
Do you delete the partition, then the space becomes unallocated, then expand the C partition? 

Yes.

Quote:
My opticals need to stay the same as they are already registered to vars programs, so:

1. Can I force Windows to permanently assign the current drive letters, if so - specifically how?

If anything changes your optical drive letters, just change them back. Takes 30 seconds.

Quote:
To subdivde the Dell drive into say the existing and 1 more partition?

I suggest that you do this. Have one partition for your OS and another for your data. Easy to do with PM. This article explains why you benefit.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#13

IP Logged

Lexus23
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 9:24am

Brian, thanks so much for the additional reply.  I know we are outside the Ghost realm with the somewhat related PM, but one more clarification pls:

"Quote:

If anything changes your optical drive letters, just change them back. Takes 30 seconds. "

OK, so are you saying if PM DOS takes letter D for my new additional partition (currently assigned to my CD drive - which I guess would be reassigned to E which is already assigned to my DVD drive which would be reassigned to F?) that I should go into WinXP Disk Manager (or PM?) and reassign my CD back to D, my DVD back to E, and my newly created partition to F or G or whatever?.  If so, what about anything that has been recorded in the Win registry regarding the new partition being D, but now being F?  And, has anything else changed regarding the optical drives which were D & E, but changed to E & F, but are now again D & E?  See my confusion?

As I understand it, that is the real problem underlying all this is that systems and applications are looking for drive letters and their assignments that no longer exist - correct?

Finally, I seem to recall reading somewhere that in WinXP you can make a drive letter assignment permanent somehow - that would seem to be ideal as if D and E could not be used, the new partiton could not take the letters and would be forced to F or so - right?

Also, finally for real - can you confirm that the work that PM does is permanent? That is once disks are rearranged, etc. the computer no longer relies on any PM software, etc to recognize or maintain these changes? (If so, seems silly to ever install this program on a computer  Lips Sealed  )

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 4:08pm

Lexus23 wrote on Apr 25th, 2007 at 9:24am:

You don't need to. They will stay the same. Earlier Windows, Win98 and ME experienced changing drive letter problems with optical drives. But not WinXP.

Quote:
If so, what about anything that has been recorded in the Win registry regarding the new partition being D, but now being F?  And, has anything else changed regarding the optical drives which were D & E, but changed to E & F, but are now again D & E?  See my confusion?

This is not a problem. Don't worry.

Quote:
Also, finally for real - can you confirm that the work that PM does is permanent? That is once disks are rearranged, etc. the computer no longer relies on any PM software, etc to recognize or maintain these changes? (If so, seems silly to ever install this program on a computer 

You don't need PM installed for most partitioning functions. But there are a few functions that work only from Windows. You will probably never use these functions, so no, you don't need to install PM.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 5:51pm

Lexus23,

See page 84 of the PM userguide. WinXP doesn't have driver letter problems with PM.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print